Thin and light body?

• Thread starter cyurio
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which?

• Ibanez S

Votes: 37 67.3%
  • Parker PDF

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters

cyurio

Reaction score
Hey guys, planning on buying a six string.
Wanted something with a thin and light body, a fast neck and a trem. Narrowed my choices down to the Ibanez S series and the Parker PDF series. I know there are a lot of Ibanez fans on this forum, but has anyone played both of these guitars that can give me their opinions? Help me pick, or recommend me something similar? Max budget is around $700-$800.

edit: if you voted for something else, would you mind telling me what

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
I haven't played a PDF series Parker so I can't compare the two. But I can tell you that you can get an absolutely killer Ibanez S540 or S540LTD used for less than your budget with enough left over to change pickups if you want, take care of any set up work, fret leveling, etc. that it may need, and STILL have money left over. And these are professional quality instruments on par with their current Prestige line, not beginner or intermediate level instruments. If I were in your shoes, I would go with the 1990's era S540.

Here are a couple of links showing some from the 1993 catalog:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1993/s_3.jpg

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1993/s_4.jpg

cyurio

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! The S I was previously considering was the premium S970W, which I can get a pretty good deal on. You think the s540 is better than the s970w?
Also, how does the lo pro edge on the s540 compare to the zr2?

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Get the pre prestige s series. Use extra money into like stainless frets and it will play well beyond that of a prestige s.

cyurio

Reaction score
How does it compare to the bubinga prestige S1520? They are around the same price

tedtan

Reaction score
Only you know which you prefer, Namecantfi, and I think you'll be fine with any of them. But I would give the edge to the pre Prestige S models made from 1987 up until sometime around 2000. The Prestige models are good, too, but they are usually a bit more expensive, so if budget is a concern, I say look to the older ones.

As for the Lo Pro Edge, it is still my overall favorite trem Ibanez has ever used. If you want to use it as a trem, it's great, and if not you can block it off really easily.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
if you can find yourself a well priced parker, parker, parker man. just sayin'.

parker_rfcv_tb_body_back.jpg

Black43

Hated Ibanezes once
Reaction score
Go the 970cw. Amazing guitar that I had the privelige to play, amazing top wood... I'm saving for the 920e (EMG combo is killer) atm, however the 970cw is a sweet guitar that plays as well as the prestige models. That's just my 2 cents, so it's your decision man... go with whatever feels right.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
Light body = loss in tone and sustain. And are generally top heavy.

I thought so until I heard someone play a parker, 5 feet away from me. that had the fattest, fullest, richest tone I had ever heard, I was blown away and I still remember it very distinctly.

heregoesnothing

SS.org nub
Reaction score
if you can find yourself a well priced parker, parker, parker man. just sayin'.

parker_rfcv_tb_body_back.jpg

I played a USA Parker Fly Deluxe yesterday that look exactly like this, hilariously lightweight, lighter than my S540FM...

more pic of the back (not mine)

DSCN2503_zps72d98103.jpg

Latest posts

')