Things I need to when buying my first 7string?

Reaction score
Hi, Im a metalhead I have been playing for almost 5 years now, and I am looking into purchasing a 7 string.( under a 1000)

I play a ESP LTD H-351FR guitar right now, and im looking for something that will play as good or better, With Active Pickups ofcourse.
I preffer " 24 XJ Frets" maybe one size bigger nothing smaller than that though ( Im a Fret size noob lol)
I have tried Ibanez Sevenstrings, even the nicer ones sounded good but the neck was too bulky, it felt like a 8 string. I don't like necks like that.

What are some good Suggestions on 7 string guitars under a 1000 $?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
"Active pickups of course"... Heretic....:squint:

:lol:

The Schecter Loomis signature can easily go under 1000$ used. It has actives, seven strings, the option of trem.. The only con is that the neck is pretty fat, it's very, very comfortable though. And yeah, the neck feels like a seven-string.

Also, welcome to the forum:yesway:

Reaction score
"Active pickups of course"... Heretic....:squint
:lol:

The Schecter Loomis signature can easily go under 1000$ used. It has actives, seven strings, the option of trem.. The only con is that the neck is pretty fat, it's very, very comfortable though. And yeah, the neck feels like a seven-string.

And, welcome to the forum:yesway:

Thanks for the help:D This forum seems WAYY friendlier than ultimate guitar, Ultimate guitar has too many trolls -__-

But its pretty expensive, Is their any cheaper models that just as good or almost as good? ( without a Trem)

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
Thanks for the help:D This forum seems WAYY friendlier than ultimate guitar, Ultimate guitar has too many trolls -__-

But its pretty expensive, Is their any cheaper models that just as good or almost as good? ( without a Trem)

Why don't you try one of the LTD SC models? They're great as well, if you're into actives

ibanezRG1527

Banned
Reaction score
ibanez with a bulky neck? did you actually play the thing or just assume? ibanez is KNOWN for having thin necks hahaha

im just fuckin with you dude (well, only half fucking with)!

but LTD just had a few 7 strings come out that will be for sale very soon.

V-307
EX-307 (only 22 frets)
EC-407

and the MH-417 has been out for a while.

all will be under $1000 and are EXACTLY what your looking for (accept no trems. but i dont think you want one anyway?)

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
Also, if you buy used, you can get away with a lot less money on the Loomis or SC-607B.

Buying used is also a smart move for your first seven, since you probably isn't sure yet if that's your thing, and you will have spent les money on it if you decide it's not your thing

Espguy

Reaction score
U can find used Ibanez 7s all day for under $500. They are cheap enough to change pickups without ass-raping your wallet. Stick with light strings, that makes a neck seem friendlier. The models are 7321,7620, 7640? & more I cant remember.
I had 5 of these plus a Prestige and a Universe. The Jackson Dinkys play better, and the strings feel loose. After I got my first 7 strg Jackson, I sold all the Ibanez's. The Ibanez's are my 2nd choice. Also, I yank out Emgs, whick are toneless in my opinion. So many metalheads out there swear by them, but I go with 7 string invaders , blaze, JBs, or evolutions. These metalguys confuse power with tone.

Espguy

Reaction score
U can find used Ibanez 7s all day for under $500. They are cheap enough to change pickups without ass-raping your wallet. Stick with light strings, that makes a neck seem friendlier. The models are 7321,7620, 7640? & more I cant remember.
I had 5 of these plus a Prestige and a Universe. The Jackson Dinkys play better, and the strings feel loose. After I got my first 7 strg Jackson, I sold all the Ibanez's. The Ibanez's are my 2nd choice. Also, I yank out Emgs, whick are toneless in my opinion. So many metalheads out there swear by them, but I go with 7 string invaders , blaze, JBs, or evolutions. These metalguys confuse power with tone.

Espguy

Reaction score
Actually 2days ago. Its got EMGs (unfortunately) but its killer. Gonna swap them for blackouts. Im not an active fan. I like being able to roll off the volume and get a different yet pleasing tone, try rolling off with an emg only if u like the sound of a fart . My favorite combo for 6's & 7's are an invader (bridge) & evolution (neck).
Man, thats a metal sound with balls.

Reaction score
Also, if you buy used, you can get away with a lot less money on the Loomis or SC-607B.

Buying used is also a smart move for your first seven, since you probably isn't sure yet if that's your thing, and you will have spent les money on it if you decide it's not your thing

V-307
EX-307 (only 22 frets)
EC-407

and the MH-417 has been out for a while.
)

Haven't played those models cause my guitar center near my house doesn't carry them -__- Music go round doesn't have them! AND drum city guitarland is too damn far!

I really only buy used gear :p
Ive tried out seven strings over the years every once in a while, I really enjoy them though its nice having that extended range.
I didn't like Ibanez cause they have shitty guitar necks ( not comfortable at all for me) :p
The 7 strings i have Enjoyed are a old Schecter blackJack, like 2 or 3 years ago and I thought " wow this is great but what do I do with this extra string?"
I tried a LTD viper 417 which i really enjoyed a lot!

Ive tried other high end schecter 7strings but the black jack series seems beast.
I haven't played a 7 string in 5 months though :(
I played a couple 8 strings, which I found out i didn't enjoy them lol.

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
Haven't played those models cause my guitar center near my house doesn't carry them -__- Music go round doesn't have them! AND drum city guitarland is too damn far!

I really only buy used gear :p
Ive tried out seven strings over the years every once in a while, I really enjoy them though its nice having that extended range.
I didn't like Ibanez cause they have shitty guitar necks ( not comfortable at all for me) :p
The 7 strings i have Enjoyed are a old Schecter blackJack, like 2 or 3 years ago and I thought " wow this is great but what do I do with this extra string?"
I tried a LTD viper 417 which i really enjoyed a lot!

Ive tried other high end schecter 7strings but the black jack series seems beast.
I haven't played a 7 string in 5 months though :(
I played a couple 8 strings, which I found out i didn't enjoy them lol.

All those are very good, I would say that the Viper 417 lies closest to what you want, the neck is substantially thinner than a Schecter neck

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Ibby and Schecter necks on their 7 strings are the same thickness and width. If you want smaller get a ESP.