Things to come from Strictly 7 in 2011

• Thread starter xshreditupx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xshreditupx

tats+metal=life
Reaction score
so after talking to Jim about all of the Q and A that has been going on with the new shape i put up, he has given me the ok to put up a thread to show some of the new ideas for shapes, and give information on what 2011 holds for Strictly 7.

first things first, after namm Jim will be spending a ton to time working on producing a price perfect 8 string multi scale guitar. this is something he has stressed that he is very very excited to work on.

next Jim will be stepping up the numbers in his guitars. not quantity of guitars, but numbers of strings. 2011 brings 9 strings and 10 strings to the table for strictly 7. there is a demand for these guitars from Jims customer base and he is planning on getting these out as soon as possible.

now on to the one thing everyone has been asking me about. the single cut away seven string guitar. the pics you are about to see are ruff cad drawings, Jim has made mention and the body looks a little small in the pics because they used his long scale 27.5 inch neck in the drawing. he said he would more then likely offer the guitar in a 25.5 inch scale, but if that doesnt suit your needs, im sure you are just a phone call away from getting what your after. so here are a couple cad mock ups of the guitar so you can see what he is going for.

adder.jpg
adder3.jpg

please ask any questions you want, i am in touch with Jim often and if i dont have an answer i can get it from the man himself. Jim is very interested in feedback of any kind, so feel free, but be nice!

patrick

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
:yesway: Very cool stuff. I was talking with Jim a couple of weeks ago about those multiscale 8s, and he was thinking about what scale ranges to offer them in (depending on how people want to tune them). Any idea if he settled on a range? And is it too early to start asking about the scale for the 9 string? I'm thinking like 25-28 or something, no?

xshreditupx

tats+metal=life
Reaction score
ill ask him on that one, im not sure to be honest. im gonna drop him an email a couple times a week with question so i can get the right answers.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
my 2 cents :

1 - the body seems quite small for the neck, unless it is a scale >28". in which case i'd welcome something a bit bigger, ie ala Buckethead (yeah i know i am refering to a gibson!!)

EDIT : yeah i am a moron, i just re-read the OP....scratch this comment then!!! :rofl:

2 - i still can't get into the head shape and with a curvy body as shown here i find it even less balanced, but i know this will appeal to some

EDIT 2 :...wooaaaa..that is a fucking post worthy of the electrons i used to type it!!!

FLGearnut

Reaction score
a quality semi-custom 7-string LP style would be a very sweet addition to the variety of sevens currently on the market :yesway:

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
a quality semi-custom 7-string LP style would be a very sweet addition to the variety of sevens currently on the market :yesway:

true, yesterday there was a thread about Munky's Ibby which was (it seems) based on a ART shaped with 7 string, it looked killer and of course very very different!!!

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
That single cut is gonna turn out awesome but I agree the headstock doesbt really suit the body style.

For 8 string scales, ideally for a fifths or drop E tuned 8 string I think 25.5"-27.5" would be the most awesome. I'de certainly want one!

daniboy

what?!?
Reaction score
i reckon anything longer than a 25.5" scale 7 will neck dive with a single cut body. my esp 27" scale viper is already slightly neck heavy.

oh and the headstock does need a bit of redesign work imo.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
i reckon anything longer than a 25.5" scale 7 will neck dive with a single cut body. my esp 27" scale viper is already slightly neck heavy.

oh and the headstock does need a bit of redesign work imo.

Depends on strap pin placement. My KxK BSG7 is 27" and went down quicker than a $2 whore when I first got it. Relocated the strap pin, and now it won't go down at all.

Also, I agree on the headstock. I never liked it, looks really odd the way the strings spread out. Doesn't look well designed at all. He needs to come up with something more closely resembling straight string pull, or at least come up with something a bit more aesthetically pleasing :lol:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Definately a current partial vacuum in the market as far as single cut sevens go.

I think the design is pretty good.

It might be worthwhile for Jim to consider a slightly larger body and a slightly curvier headstock shap to better match traditional aesthetics, if that's what he's going for. But as it is, I don't see anything to really complain about.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
please ask any questions you want, i am in touch with Jim often and if i dont have an answer i can get it from the man himself. Jim is very interested in feedback of any kind, so feel free, but be nice!

patrick

Yes, can you please ask him if my guitar is finished at the paint shop? :lol:

Seriously, that looks like it will be pretty cool. :yesway:

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Definately a current partial vacuum in the market as far as single cut sevens go.

I think the design is pretty good.

It might be worthwhile for Jim to consider a slightly larger body and a slightly curvier headstock shap to better match traditional aesthetics, if that's what he's going for. But as it is, I don't see anything to really complain about.

+1 on both. Larger body and less pointy headstock are a must with that particular mockup.

xshreditupx

tats+metal=life
Reaction score

please contact Jim directly about any questions that have to do with his sales. i am not involved in that part of what he does. sorry man :metal:

xshreditupx

tats+metal=life
Reaction score

i mentioned to jim you asked and he said if this is matt lamb with the cobra 7 that has the pau ferro finger board, then you are only a couple of steps away from being done. i normally dont have this kinda info but Jim remembered who you were upon first mention of the guitar. Jim told me to let everyone know that he is sorry for the wait, but he is knee deep in Namm as we speak, as soon as things lighten up (more then likely next week) he will be getting back to the other guitars on hand. His ship date for namm is december 27th, so he is busting knuckles to get everything built right and ready to go before he gets back to the grind of daily business.

Jim testifies that he will MAKE SURE to plan better for next years trip to namm so his client base doesnt have to wait as long for their guitars.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
i mentioned to jim you asked and he said if this is matt lamb with the cobra 7 that has the pau ferro finger board, then you are only a couple of steps away from being done. i normally dont have this kinda info but Jim remembered who you were upon first mention of the guitar. Jim told me to let everyone know that he is sorry for the wait, but he is knee deep in Namm as we speak, as soon as things lighten up (more then likely next week) he will be getting back to the other guitars on hand. His ship date for namm is december 27th, so he is busting knuckles to get everything built right and ready to go before he gets back to the grind of daily business.

Jim testifies that he will MAKE SURE to plan better for next years trip to namm so his client base doesnt have to wait as long for their guitars.

Aww man, I was only kidding. I hope Jim doesn't think I'm unhappy about it.

Jim told me that he had to have all the NAMM guitars painted by the 7th, so I honestly wasn't expecting mine to be painted until next week at the earliest.

Reaction score

That's such a good way of seeing things as opposed to most luthiers who will just reply with something along the lines of, "soz go fuck yourself", although worded slightly better. Seriously, props to Jim for not being a douchebag and actually realizing deadlines should be met whether approximate or not. :yesway:

Frey

Reaction score
How long does a build take approximately from Strictly7?

')