Thinking about finally picking up a 7-string -- need recommendations!

• Thread starter KailM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KailM

Reaction score
Howdy folks -- as the title says, I think it's time to get into the 7-string game. I've been playing guitar for 20+ years; mostly metal, but not exclusively, in that time. I've played a few random 7s, but haven't really spent any time with them. My reasons for wanting one may be a little different than why most people get into them -- I've no interest in extreme low tunings and would likely leave the 7 in B Standard.

For my main band/solo project, I play in D Standard and C# Standard; occasionally Drop C, and even more rarely, Drop B. Black metal, death metal stuff primarily -- but definitely not djent or "prog" metal whatever that means.

In my other personality (lol) I am often asked to perform classic rock and bluesy songs and/or teach lessons, which I'm happy to oblige. However, most of that stuff is in E Standard and whenever I have to play something like that it requires I change strings on one of my other guitars to get the right feel, and I'd prefer to keep those guitars where they're at -- it's a pain to change them all the time and/or transcribe the music higher on the neck. But I do like playing in E Standard sometimes.

So, I'm at a point where I need either a dedicated E-standard 6-string guitar (which I haven't entirely ruled out) , or (what I think is a better idea) a 7-string so I can have E-standard + the low B for any of the other stuff I want to play.

Admittedly, I'm reluctant to step out of my 6-string comfort zone, so there's that. I've probably not come to the right place to get any validation there. :)

Here's the thing -- I have no idea where to even start looking. My local store has a PRS SE SVN that I think is really sweet. It plays nice, and is obviously pretty high quality. But I'm not sure I can justify the $820 price tag when I'm not sure I'll even like a 7-string. However, I do not want a low-end guitar by any means. I'm willing and actually prefer to go used, and get a higher-quality guitar for a better price. Smooth fretwork is a must, and the ability to have a pretty low action is crucial.

A few other things I want in this guitar:

Super-Strat shape
Passive pickups (I'll be putting a SD Black Winter in the bridge for sure)
Push/Pull tone pot for coil-splitting is preferred
At least 25.5" scale, but maybe longer
I like burst or zebra-stripe finishes, but it's not mandatory
$400-600 used budget

Help me start narrowing down my options. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cip 123

Reaction score
Obligatory SSO used 1527 comment

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I think the best way to get comfortable with a 7 is to write or learn a new song with one. Trying to transpose a drop B song from 6 string could be pretty frustrating at first. Coming up with some fresh riffs you’ve never played on a 6 will make the transition pretty easy.
I remember when I got my first 7, I learned Coexistence from Beyond Creation and that was a great way to get instantly comfortable with the extra string; but my other guitarist never clicked with his, so we play 6ers exclusively still. I still keep a couple to jam on from time to time.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I've seen used KM7s in that price point and the mkii versions come loaded with black winters already.
There's a used LTD Ben Savage 7 string for around 600 on reverb
Switching from 6 to 7 isn't hard imo, you just need to adjust your muting technique and get used to the different feel. It only took me a day or two to adjust.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
If you're willing to go used I'd say go used over the SVN. You'd probably get something with branded pickups, locking tuners and a decent nut for similar or less money. The SVN is a brilliant guitar and it's pickups aren't bad, but it suffers from a lack of locking tuners and could do with a better nut.

GXPO

Reaction score
For your budget and specs, there should be various Schecters available used and you may be able to find one with a black winter already.. I'm not sure that the Merrow sig has push/pull but they're popular enough that you can find one cheap.

jl-austin

Reaction score
I got my first 7-string at the age of 40. (can't teach an old dog new tricks) It does take a little to get used to, but once you do, it's no big deal at all, its just a 6-string with an added low B, no big deal. I can bounce back and forth between 6 and 7 now, no problem. :)

I recently got an Ibanez RG7421 (brand new model, I also have a '99 Ibanez RG7621 to compare it against, and the new RG7421 is "pretty good") as a gift. I am surprised at how well that guitar plays. They are super easy to mod. Don't be put off by the price, I would say that those are a perfect guitar to try out a 7 string. If you like it, mod it, if you don't, you aren't out much.

NateFalcon

Reaction score
My Prestige 752 is the first 7 that didn’t have that “overriding” timbre of *typical 7 strings and feels nimble in the neck profile...I really had trouble gelling with 7’s until I picked up a 752, and most Prestige 7’s since feel similarly playable...I second a used Prestige

chopeth

Reaction score
Schecter or Ibanez 2nd had, the RGD from ibanez or the KM7, Blackjacks, Banshee elite 2nd hand are wonderful axes with good pups (schecters), locking tuners and that's what you need. Plus, they are 26,5 scale, much better than 25,5. Don't get afraid of longer scale, you'll get used in no time.

By the way, another option that just came to my mind. Harley Benton 7 string Fan Fret. They are inexpensive and you can spent half your available budget modding it.

KailM

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am definitely partial to Schecters, as my main 6-string is a Blackjack V that plays superbly well for what I paid for it. The only problem with a lot of Schecters is that they've active pickups, and I'd rather not swap all the electronics on another guitar again. I'll give the KM-7s a good look.

Frey

Reaction score
I vote for the KM7s in this case also, especially if you've found you like Schecters in the past :D

stinkoman

Reaction score
i'm taking back my Lambo orange KM7 to guitar center most likely tomorrow and will be available from them for $499 most likely. Nothing wrong with it just unexpected bill came up like the last one I bought and rather not use a credit card to pay it.

Curt 8771

Reaction score
Try finding one of the 2014 schecter banshees with the nazgul sentients. Used should be right in your price range, beautiful flame, 26.5 scale length, ebony fretboard, and coil taps. Really no tradeoffs in this one imo

Jbonen42

Reaction score
Real good deals on the LTD KS-7...first model that is..with the quilted maple finish. I had one that I bought new for $1400 and when I tried selling it I was only able to for about 6 or 700...guitar center offered me $250 and I told them to go fuck themselves. I guess people never got into the Evertune bridge they come with, but that guitar was a beast! Comes with active EMGs or the Fishman depending on what year it was made. But you can always just swap them puppies out.

gujukal

Reaction score
Used Ibanez rgd2127fx if you're lucky in that budget. Otherwise rg1527 or km7 mkii.

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
I'll give the recommendation I always do for a first 7 string: Ibanez RG7321. It won't break the bank, you won't feel bad about beating it up, the neck isn't unapproachable like some entry-level 7s are, and it'll help you determine if you like 7 strings. If you play it enough to want to start upgrading it, then you'll know that you're good with 7s. And knowing is half the battle..... :)

I gigged for years with my RG7321 that I modded the bejesus out of. It was honestly a workhorse of a guitar.

If you can though, try to snag a used one from pre-2010. I wouldn't trust the (online) quality on anything more recent than that. If you don't have the luxury of time for that, then I still say for the price, it's the best gamble on a first 7 string you can take.

')