Thinking of changing from EMG to Duncans

• Thread starter UltraParanoia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
Hey all!
All of my guitars in recent memory have had the 85/81 6 string combo & now I have 7s they have 707s. I'm starting to think its time for a change, there is a whole tone world out there that I'm not experiencing!!

Starting with my C7, I was thinking of buggering off the 707s. I'll put an active mount Pegasus in the bridge & the Sentient in the bridge.

I need some opinions. Good idea?
I'm keen!

707.jpg

VS

GALLERY_GIT0027920-000_1_images390.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
Hey all!
All of my guitars in recent memory have had the 85/81 6 string combo & now I have 7s they have 707s. I'm starting to think its time for a change, there is a whole tone world out there that I'm not experiencing!!

Starting with my C7, I was thinking of buggering off the 707s. I'll put an active mount Pegasus in the bridge & the Sentient in the bridge.

I need some opinions. Good idea?
I'm keen!

I switched my 707/81-7 combo for SD Blackouts. Never looked back. I've always thought the EMG's sounded uncannily like Steve Buscemi's voice, with a kind of nasal midrange resonance. Great for specific purposes -- like playing a 1920s mob boss -- but limited in the end.

4rwjtOu.jpg

The Blackouts are much fuller and can be sculpted to your liking by EQ'ing.

I have no experience with the Pegasus or Sentient though.

Last edited:

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea to me, especially if you already have a bunch of EMG's. I think they look nicer too. (I'm a fan of EMG's for the record.)

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
I have a Pegasus laying around that I haven't tried yet, but I would definitely recommend checking out the Sentient. It kind of reminds me of the tone of the PAF 7s in a K7, but with more smoothness and life, and a less vintage vibe. I've got a Nazgul in the bridge of the same guitar, and as the previous poster said, it's a great combo. I would expect no less from the Pegasus.

Just remember to check your C7 for a bridge ground. If it came stock with EMGs, you may not have one.

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
Drummer of my band works at the local music shop. He's looking into prices for me

Cheers for the heads up 5150time

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
Ok, I'm torn now...

Do I want a Nazgul in the bridge or a Dimarzio. Possibly an X2N or D Activator
I wonder if an X2N would fit in my 707 cavity?

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
i love emg's, as far as active pickups go IMO they destroy blackouts which are really the only main competition. as for the sentient and nazgul and others i would definitely try them out. i hear great things about them.

Lifestalker

Reaction score
Great idea man. Pegasus/Sentient are definitely a killer combo for the price. Recently got to try them out in my buddies Ibanez RG927.

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
If you've got a factory EMG route, it won't work with DiMarzios at all without some kind of routing.

I have an X2N 7 laying around and I just held it up against the EMG-sized Blackouts I have in another guitar. The pickup ears on the X2N stick out quite a bit farther than the borders of the Blackouts, and the screw holes don't line up, either. The dimensions on DiMarzio and EMGs websites confirm that.

Also looked into whether or not a 6 string X2N would have enough length to reach all the strings, and it's definitely too short.

The curse of 707 sizing strikes again. Too bad, as the X2N 7 is a fine pickup.

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
If you've got a factory EMG route, it won't work with DiMarzios at all without some kind of routing.

I have an X2N 7 laying around and I just held it up against the EMG-sized Blackouts I have in another guitar. The pickup ears on the X2N stick out quite a bit farther than the borders of the Blackouts, and the screw holes don't line up, either. The dimensions on DiMarzio and EMGs websites confirm that.

Also looked into whether or not a 6 string X2N would have enough length to reach all the strings, and it's definitely too short.

The curse of 707 sizing strikes again. Too bad, as the X2N 7 is a fine pickup.

This.Is.Horrible.News! :lol:
Seymour may be a better option after all

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
Bare Knuckle also makes an EMG sized housing if you feel like trying something different. Miracle Mans are kind of their take on an EMG. There's a world of pickups out there.

zhunt1130

Slightly Progessive
Reaction score
Don't have any experience with the Pegasus but the Nazgul and Sentient are awesome...Nazgul is very very articulate, great response

')