Thinking of getting a 7

wlminter

Not a mod
Reaction score
I'm a guitar player (obviously), and I've been inspired by the likes of Rusty Cooley and Jeff Loomis to get a 7-string. But I can't decide which one I should get.
Fortunately I've narrowed it down to two choices: the Agile septor 7, and the Schecter Damien 7. I've seen both online for $400, so (unless you guys can suggest something cheaper and better) price isn't really an issue.

Here's the Agile to me
Pros:
- Grover Tuners
- More aggressive looking than the Schecter
- High-access neck joint (Ibanez style)
- Ebony board
- Standard shaped pickups (easier to switch out)
Cons
- Naked (no inlays) fretboard (I don't have it memorized)
- I've heard some horror stories (mainly with the floyd on the Interceptor)
- Naked fretboard (once again, I don't have it memorized!)
- I've heard that it has setup problems
- Naked fretboard (seriously, this is a major drawback - how good the rest of the guitar is doesn't matter if I don't know what I'm playing!)

Here's the Schecter
Pros:
- Grover tuners
- cool inlays
- actually HAS inlays
- EMG pickups
- Setup in the USA
- 26.5" scale
Cons:
- Rosewood fretboard (as opposed to Ebony on the Agile)
- square neck joint (fender style)
- Inlays seem a little hard to read at the higher frets (but still easier than a naked fretboard!)
- The EMGs are the low-end HZs, which I've heard sound horrible
- I don't know if I would be able to put in standard shaped pickups

As of now, I'm leaning towards the Agile. If anyone has any other suggestions as to alternatives, I'd be glad to hear them, just keep in mind my budget is about $400-$500. And if anyone suggests the Interceptor, then you'll have to disprove the horror stories I've heard (from people on THIS board), and convince me that the hassle of a floyd is worth it for an intermediate player. Keep in mind I don't know how to setup my guitar, yet.

Also a few questions that I'd like answered in regards to the list above:
- How hard is it to get used to a naked fretboard?
- With the routing of the EMGs in the Schecter, would I be able to switch them out with a standard shaped pickup (DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, etc)? (and please don't suggest active EMGs, I don't have $200 for pickups, nor do I want actives.)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
It's not very hard to get used to the "naked" fretboard. There are still markers on the top of the neck that you can see.

I say go for the Agile. I've heard nothing but praise for them here. Just take it to a local shop and have a tech set it up if its THAT bad. I'd say for what you're looking for currently and with future upgrades in mind, that it would be more up your alley.

However, with either choice, I highly doubt you will be disappointed. Good luck! :yesway:

Mogwaii

Wait, what?
Reaction score
Yeah, I bought a Parker P-30 with a naked fretboard and I had it down pat in less than 10 minutes

supertruper1988

Reaction score
if you are looking for a floyd then i would suggest looking on the 'bay for a used RG7620 cuz the are about $300-$350 and they are great players with the best trem available IMO

')