Thinking of getting a Mesa mini rec

• Thread starter MikeSweeney
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSweeney

Reaction score
Hey I'm thinking of getting a Mesa Mini Rec. I would have to get rid of my Peavey 5150 or should I say F**k it and keep the Peavey n get the Mesa ?
So please tell me what you think of them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tyler_faith_08

Strings of Chaos
Reaction score
I think they're decent, but the one I played a long time ago was pretty nice, but it had this almost solid state feel to it. Idk wtf to think about it, but that's what I got from it. Not too bad on the tone stack or other adjustments, and it's nice as hell. However, I'd stay with what you have.

CountFrisky

Formerly Jveeman45
Reaction score
I own a mesa mini rec and can tell you that the amp is extremely versatile. It has an incredibly deep tonal pallet inside of it. It oozes blues and rock tones. But for metal, with a boost or without, you will notice a lack of low end thump and also it just feels thin when you are palm muting those big low notes. It still sounds great, just kind of thin. I play it through an orange or bogner 2x12 and love it, but I think you may miss the huge sound of the 5150 if you decide to switch though.

SmashinWithTone

Reaction score
+1 to both posters above. I would say keep the 5150, unless for some reason you don't need the 120 watts it puts out and you want something smaller. If that's your reason then go for the mini.

minorseventh

Reaction score
for singing sustain and rediculous harmonics the mini cant be beat, but... i agree with others, its lacking that dry percussive chunk.
it is a handy little amp though, and the cleans and slightly overdriven tones are astounding for how small it is.

')