Thinking of ordering a Carvin from the UK... am I crazy?

• Thread starter mnemonic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Mayones are pretty damn good, but I gotta say, man, if you wanted a Carvin, get a Carvin. You could lower the shipping cost by having whomever in the Us ship it separately, body & neck. That'd probably help quite a bit.

Carvins are neck through, that wouldn't be an option. Also they come with a case anyway.

The reason I've always wanted a carvin was:
1) fair price
2) pretty much fully customizable (whatever wood or finish I want)

The first point is out the window since i'm in the UK, and regarding wood choice, the Mayones has that on-point too (all mahogany, maple top). As far as finishes, I'm not really picky, as long as it looks good (which the Mayones does, and a carvin also would).

The advantages I see with the Mayones are:
1.) already loaded with good pickups
2.) easy to swap pickups as I wouldn't have to route the pickup slots bigger
3.) everyone seems to love them, very few bad words about them
4.) its actually cheaper than the carvin (only by £50 or so, but still)

The Mayones is starting to look like the better deal.

I'd still love to hear your guys' opinions though, every little bit helps.

Hi mate.

Yeah the mayo is shit hot.

They are fully customisable, for little to no cost.

Regarding the the maple cap, it's hard to say because of the binding. But I'd say its about 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

Contact guitarguitar in Epsom as they are the up dealers for them.

It's by far the best guitar I've ever owned

Cool, I figured it would probably be the same thickness as the binding, seems like a pretty legit maple top. I emailed Mayones, but it is the weekend, so I'll probably get a reply in the week.

I suppose at the end of the day, I can buy a Mayones here in-country and have it here next week, and if I don't fall in love with it, I can return it. The stock model actually hits my specs pretty closely, I don't know if I'd change anything if I did semi-custom. Maybe I'll send them an email to see how much extra they'd charge for an ebony fingerboard.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zado

Reaction score
Mayones setius. £1300 depending on pickups.

I have a 6 string variant, and guitars done get much better.

Edit::: yes or blackat. I have one on order should be with me at the end of he month.

:metal::metal:

this or a siggery or a ran crusher

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Hi mate.

Yeah the mayo is shit hot.

They are fully customisable, for little to no cost.

Regarding the the maple cap, it's hard to say because of the binding. But I'd say its about 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

Contact guitarguitar in Epsom as they are the up dealers for them.

It's by far the best guitar I've ever owned

Just an add-on, guitarguitar are fantastic, recommend talking to those guys for sure.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Isn't there a long wait list for siggery? I could have sworn i read the thread and it was like 8 months or something.

I'm sure once I get a taste of semi-custom I'll start ordering siggery's and Ran's... if my paycheck can keep up.

Frankly, every Carvin I've played was much better than my Siggery.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
Mayones are pretty damn good, but I gotta say, man, if you wanted a Carvin, get a Carvin. You could lower the shipping cost by having whomever in the Us ship it separately, body & neck. That'd probably help quite a bit.

All Carvin 7s are set neck/neck through.

THAT BEING SAID A BOLT 7 SURE WOULD BE NICE COUGH COUGH

iloki

Reaction score
All Carvin 7s are set neck/neck through.

THAT BEING SAID A BOLT 7 SURE WOULD BE NICE COUGH COUGH

This. Lol. I would kill for a 24 fret 7 string bolt/bolt +

Also, about pickup routes, carvin is using the d26 pickups as standard on all of the 7s now. They are standard sized, none of that tiny c26 crap :)

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Carvin seems to listen to their customers, they have four 7-string models and an 8-string, i wouldn't be surprised to see a 7-string bolt maybe next year.

Also, about pickup routes, carvin is using the d26 pickups as standard on all of the 7s now. They are standard sized, none of that tiny c26 crap :)

thats good to hear, installing a dimarzio in the bridge of my friends 747 was such a pain in the ass. he had a really fancy finish too, so nerve racking. it wasn't just the route width, but the depth was a problem too, if i remember correctly.

DavidLopezJr

Reaction score
The quality of a Mayones will be way higher. Not sure how prices would play out for you but I would assume that it would be just about the same.

mpsk

Reaction score
The quality of a Mayones will be way higher. Not sure how prices would play out for you but I would assume that it would be just about the same.

I can't confirm this my carvin is little better crafted than setius

the_heretic_divine

The Fruit Bat
Reaction score
If you love THICK paint and dead tone,sure,go for a Carvin. I've played some great Carvins,but I've played a few dogs as well. They always look nice though.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
A Carvin costs more than a Setius over there? :spock:

Here a Carvin with similar specs to the Setius, a CT7(most expensive Carvin 7) would still be less than the Setius by $500 or more.

Never realized how bad you guys got shafted on pricing of american gear until lately.

Nice to see you went with the Setius. :)

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
A Carvin costs more than a Setius over there? :spock:

Here a Carvin with similar specs to the Setius, a CT7(most expensive Carvin 7) would still be less than the Setius by $500 or more.

Never realized how bad you guys got shafted on pricing of american gear until lately.

Nice to see you went with the Setius. :)

thanks!

I recently started looking at new gear over here and its ridiculous. If it isn't made in the EU, its way more expensive than in the US. Damn 20% VAT :squint:

Next on the list is an axe fx II but i'm having a hard time stomaching the £400 markup ($600) for not living in the US.

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
thanks!

I recently started looking at new gear over here and its ridiculous. If it isn't made in the EU, its way more expensive than in the US. Damn 20% VAT :squint:

Next on the list is an axe fx II but i'm having a hard time stomaching the £400 markup ($600) for not living in the US.

Hey man.

Don't get a axe in the uk. Get a kemper profiling amp. About £1200 smackeroos

Guitar guitar do them aswell

')