THIS BAND BLATANTLY RIPPED OFF A CHIMP SPANNER RIFF!!!!

• Thread starter grosslyobscure
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bradseven

Reaction score
Looks like I'm a little late on this--thread has pretty much run its course...
Although i have alot to say I'll try to keep this short. I'm not going to try to sway opinions or defend point of view...and its too late too save any face...I just think there's one important detail no one mentioned yet, which is that SEVEN isn't and hasn't ever been a serious band. We haven't been able to keep the ball rolling long enough for things to get serious or even write as a band--we've only played 2 shows...ever. Seven is really just me fucking around on my computer for the last 8 years or so. If things ever get serious then I'll take the material more seriously but until then its really just for fun. I built a few songs out of AMC for fun...After all, that's what its for. We're both using X3's and Superior 2.0 lately so it seemed appropriate but I understand the decieving undertone you guys are seeing now that I've had a chance to see it from other people's point of view. Still seems like maybe the fact that we have management and a fairly professional online presence makes people think Seven is a more serious project than it really is. Plus people take rip offs very seriously...I agree that would be a weak and even "pathetic" thing for a serious band to do but I have trouble believing I'm a "douchebag" for fucking around on my computer...I can't help but wonder how many statements that were made here came from a perspective that Seven is a serious band.

to the guy that asked about it:
yea I've really bad luck on this board...years ago I had admittedly used a riff that's retardedly (pretend thats a word for now) similar to one of Bulb's riffs and the next thing I knew people were saying I ripped off people I'd never even heard of--loads of fun.
I had even messaged Bulb about it as soon as i had realized what I'd done...before anyone even noticed...but again wasn't taking things seriously enough to rerecord a 12 minute song because of one riff...and I still can't say that i do...Its just hard to take it seriously after over 8 years of nearly no activity...Now that there's a full line-up again we're doing the next album as a full band so there will be no use for things like AMC or anything else from producer-loops.com...
fuck...so much for keeping it short.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
You linked to the main soundclick page not Chimp Spanner's page dude.

But anyways, this is reminiscent of that douche from a few months ago who was blatantly ripping off Periphery.

If no one 'ripped off' in the music bizz, I don't think much would happen, chum. :lol:

Looks like I'm a little late on this--thread has pretty much run its course...
Although i have alot to say I'll try to keep this short. I'm not going to try to sway opinions or defend point of view...and its too late too save any face...I just think there's one important detail no one mentioned yet, which is that SEVEN isn't and hasn't ever been a serious band. We haven't been able to keep the ball rolling long enough for things to get serious or even write as a band--we've only played 2 shows...ever. Seven is really just me fucking around on my computer for the last 8 years or so. If things ever get serious then I'll take the material more seriously but until then its really just for fun. I built a few songs out of AMC for fun...After all, that's what its for. We're both using X3's and Superior 2.0 lately so it seemed appropriate but I understand the decieving undertone you guys are seeing now that I've had a chance to see it from other people's point of view. Still seems like maybe the fact that we have management and a fairly professional online presence makes people think Seven is a more serious project than it really is. Plus people take rip offs very seriously...I agree that would be a weak and even "pathetic" thing for a serious band to do but I have trouble believing I'm a "douchebag" for fucking around on my computer...I can't help but wonder how many statements that were made here came from a perspective that Seven is a serious band.

to the guy that asked about it:
yea I've really bad luck on this board...years ago I had admittedly used a riff that's retardedly (pretend thats a word for now) similar to one of Bulb's riffs and the next thing I knew people were saying I ripped off people I'd never even heard of--loads of fun.
I had even messaged Bulb about it as soon as i had realized what I'd done...before anyone even noticed...but again wasn't taking things seriously enough to rerecord a 12 minute song because of one riff...and I still can't say that i do...Its just hard to take it seriously after over 8 years of nearly no activity...Now that there's a full line-up again we're doing the next album as a full band so there will be no use for things like AMC or anything else from producer-loops.com...
fuck...so much for keeping it short.

You sound pretty genuine, I think It was just the 'douchebag' periphery fans who had there heads so far up their arses they were too proud to realise it was just a mistake.

This is the year two-thousand-and-fucking-nine...after like 7 thousand years of music being around I'd say it'd be pretty easy to accidentally write a riff that already existed... :lol:

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
I highly doubt that this was done intentionally, both write great stuff in the same genre. Stuff like this happens all the time, so I wouldn't get down on Seven for using the same riff as Chimp Spanner.

So, what would you go down on seven for, a klondike bar with its new crunchy shell? :lol:

cerwinthedoc

Reaction score
I also noticed that Holographic Human Element is taken from the AMC as well. I saw a Youtube video featuring what was literally note for note from the song. At first I thought it was someone ripping off Seven, but it looks like it was sort of the other way around...

I'm not going to bag on Seven for using loops, but using them for the majority if not all of a song? That's kind of weak. I couldn't find dedicated members to jam with, so I went out and learned bass, synth, and drums. Unfortunately now I can't exactly play drums due to my apartment and cranky neighbors, so I'm occasionally forced to use drum loops. I'm going to be picking up a drum machine pretty soon, but that's besides the point. Anyone with any musical knowledge can find ways around not being in a "serious" band to get music out. There's even been times when I've been desperate enough to use individual drum samples and piece together drums that way. It takes HOURS.

I just can't imagine feeling comfortable enough to put something out there for people to listen to that wasn't exactly my work. I have a hard time putting shit out in general for fear of accidental plagiarism. For fuck sake, loops are fucking stressful.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
People do this all the time. They rip off obscure bands in the hopes that no one will notice. Like when Lamb of God used the future breed machine riff EXACTLY on black label. Meshuggah weren't very well known back then and they would have thought they could just steal their shit. Now they look like losers for doing it. You always lose in the end when you plagiarize because you can never truly accept any praise or feel that you have contributed anything to this world. You may get somewhere from it but it will only be with ignorant people and you will always be a leech. I understand accidental plagiarism to an extent because my guitarist wrote a riff nearly the same as a decapitated riff BEFORE Decapitated released that particular song. But doing that shit in full knowledge of ripping someone off is inexcusable

Espaul

Reaction score
I'm a bit upset!

to the seven band. if you make a couple of songs with that product and are just messing around I think you should let people know that! what I mean is, are you just having fun with making music and want people to hear your music, or are you just having fun with your computer and screwing people and giving them a product you didn't make?

I just think it's wrong, even though it's not illegal. I can see why they call you a douche, it's not unfair

Edit: I'm sure you're a great person and all, but I just have to speak my mind.

Rxcoma

Reaction score
that is a BLATANT ripoff off Evolutionary Sleeper by Cynic. I mean note for note too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')