THIS BAND BLATANTLY RIPPED OFF A CHIMP SPANNER RIFF!!!!

• Thread starter grosslyobscure
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

splinter8451

Reaction score
You linked to the main soundclick page not Chimp Spanner's page dude.

But anyways, this is reminiscent of that douche from a few months ago who was blatantly ripping off Periphery.

Reaction score
yeah, i remember that. i don't understand how they think people won't notice. Plus, this band is actually making money off of their music, which is even worse.

ubarhax

Reaction score
it's easy to accidentally rip off riffs in the djent genre but I will agree that this blatant and has the exact notes/rhythm

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I highly doubt that this was done intentionally, both write great stuff in the same genre. Stuff like this happens all the time, so I wouldn't get down on Seven for using the same riff as Chimp Spanner.

PeteyG

Big Bear
Reaction score
It isn't just that riff though, there's still the same little happy motif background guitar, same tone, same effects, as if it's been directly lifted.

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
Aside from possibly plagiary, Seven is amazing.

Reaction score
Ok, it turns out that chimp spanner put that riff into a sample pack called the ambient metal constructions pack and sold it. this is it here:

Various Artists - Ambient Metal Constructions (PRODUCER PACK) [Producer Loops] -

It turns out that everything in this song came from that sample pack. what this means is that seven didn't write, play, or record any of the instruments in that song. after talking to chimp spanner, it turns out that the same goes for the song digital summer and who knows how much else in the song catalog. I personally don't see how anyone could possibly retain any amount of respect for any group of "musicians" that would do this.

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
And i was just about to say it's the same tone, notes and tuning aswell.

Someone pm Chimpy. :noway:

Reaction score
i allready talked to him. in reality both of those songs were played and recorded by chimp and then used by this band. hence why the mix and songwriting shits on their other stuff.

if you listen to the deadlights riff at 4:45 you'll find it's the same riff as the first one in the chimp spanner clip.

toolsound

Reaction score
So...correct me if I'm wrong, but they're basically using Chimp's product as intended, therefor nothing is wrong.

Obviously it takes away from the band's credibility because they're sampling music rather than writing it, but they're not actually "ripping-off" chimpspanner, correct?

Edit: I can't actually view the sample pack website, but I assume it basically lets people sample chimp's riffs and such.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
so yeah, it seems like they basically just used this sample pack to make a song and call it their own.

that´s like 12-year olds making songs in eJay and calling it their own :lol:

anyways, i wonder what the "intended" use for this sample pack really is? and if seven can actually write music themselves, and play guitar, etc, then that´s a pretty childish move on their part. i guess it´s good practice for singers and stuff though, who don´t have bands, and can´t play instruments. i guess that would be a good way to use it :p

so yeah, while i think the whole thing is dumber than dumb, i think we can stop crucifying them for using a commercial sample collection to put together a song. artistical integrity aside, it´s not like they infringed upon paul.

Reaction score
So...correct me if I'm wrong, but they're basically using Chimp's product as intended, therefor nothing is wrong.

Obviously it takes away from the band's credibility because they're sampling music rather than writing it, but they're not actually "ripping-off" chimpspanner, correct?

Edit: I can't actually view the sample pack website, but I assume it basically lets people sample chimp's riffs and such.

I didn't find out about this until a while after i posted. Yeah what they did is technically not illegal. though it still seems pretty pathetic that they found it neccessary to take these samples and post them as is.

chimp_spanner

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Hey guys! I should probably weigh in on this.

Yeah the riffs are from a sample pack - along the lines of eJay - which is sold as a royalty free product. So, anyone using the pack either in part or in its entirety wouldn't have to credit me any more than I would have to credit Propellerheads for basing a song on a .REX loop that ships with Reason. I wouldn't do it! But, just using it as an example.

Basically any other band/artist (including myself) could take those riffs and use them in exactly the same way. So using them 100% as-is, isn't really the ideal way to use the product but...it's down to the user I guess! And of course it's totally legit.

I'm doing one more AMC, and the plan is that it'll contain more commonplace/generic elements that are of use on their own, within other styles of music rather than being particularly complex or 'chimpy'. In all fairness, the first pack really works best with itself and quite a few people have done the same as Seven, for vocal practice purposes mainly.

It's quite strange writing ideas to sell as royalty free samples, and as I've come to learn it is about finding a balance between making something that I'm happy to put my name on...and avoiding giving away anything I might regret. Tricky business for sure.

As I said to the OP in a message earlier, I'm always grateful that people are vigilant enough to spot copyright infringement - it's happened more times than you'd think! But thankfully this isn't one of those times :)

toolsound

Reaction score
Chimp with the official word.

Do you have any current or upcoming albums that can be purchased? Do want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')