This Economy?

• Thread starter sworth9411
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpnhowdy

Reaction score
$1900 sounds steep for a small place.
You might want to try to negotiate cheaper rent if your landlord wants to keep you in.
According to LA times rents are declining: Housing downturn hits L.A.-area rents - Los Angeles Times

After rising for several years, rents in the Los Angeles area are declining because of the economic recession and depressed home prices, researchers, real estate agents and property managers say.

The lower local rents match a national trend, according to a report released Wednesday showing apartment rents fell in 54 out of 79 U.S. metropolitan areas in the fourth quarter of 2008. Softening rents add another obstacle to a housing market recovery, economists say, because tenants with low rent payments feel less urgency to buy a home.

Nationwide, apartment rents eased 0.1% in the fourth quarter, the first drop since 2002, according to the analysis by research firm Reis Inc.

Los Angeles apartment rents fell 0.7% in the fourth quarter, the first decline since 2001, although overall rents for the year were up slightly over 2007

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sworth9411

Banned
Reaction score
^ E Rep for that for sure....Brought it up to my landlord today and shes seeing what she can do. If nothing else worth a try thanks dudes...

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
we neeed obama

I didn't realize this was the Politics & Current Events section. :rolleyes:

To answer the original question....recessions are cyclical, and to me, it's a simple theory that's been proven time and time again: Something's gotta give. If you don't want the immediate satisfaction, wait it out. But if you really like where you are and don't want to leave, then wait it out.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Well, Sanford, I know you were looking at a prospect here in Portland at Nike, you might want to keep perusing that if business keeps falling off. Cost of living is much better here, and I just read an article where rents were falling the hardest, and Portland was on the list with a median rate of $850/mo. Mine's $980/mo. for a sizable (though not the nicest quality :noway:) for a 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom. Only issue out here (aside from the job market blowing even harder than most of the country with one of the top 5 unemployment rates) is that pay scales seem to be pretty dreadful :ugh:, even compared to where I was coming from (Arizona) which was always notoriously bad as well.

E Lucevan Le Stelle

in love with Judas
Reaction score
I have a pretty bad feeling over the way things are going in the UK... to be honest after university I think I'll be leaving... probably to the States as I have dual citizenship :D

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a pretty bad feeling over the way things are going in the UK... to be honest after university I think I'll be leaving... probably to the States as I have dual citizenship :D

+1. If I could afford to emigrate and then find a job some where else, I'd be leaving the country too.

My brother has the right idea, He's going to Australia for about 7 months I think, though I think he's trying to move out to there.

Soon as I get some skills under my belt (looking to be an electrician) I'm going to look into moving away.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Sometimes my parents, grandparents, friends, and brother ask me when I'm moving back to the US. And I'm like "Why the hell would I move back to the US with the economy the way it is right now?" And they're usually all like "Whaa? Whaaa? Uh huh, yeah, this is the reeeeemix!"

Im renting a house an 1800 sq ft house and its only $800 a month here in SC...Dude living in LA is just such a money sucker and I'd only do it if I was seriously getting paid. Since it sounds like you're not, I'd move.

Wow. That's amazing. I have an apartment that's like 6 square feet and I pay $600 a month for it (which everyone in Tokyo tells me is ridiculously cheap) -- (actually I have no idea how many square feet it is, but it's only a tiny bedroom and a tiny bathroom). $800 for a 1800 square feet house is unbelievably cheap. :eek:

sworth9411

Banned
Reaction score
Well…update? Turned down the job at Nike, it turns out they are downsizing their R+D department and I don’t want to relocate to be downsized a month later….no good…

England is out….Economy is tanking faster than a whore going down on Charlie Sheen….(sorry guys but we all know it’s the truth)

Sticking it out in LA for now….we just moved my business to a way smaller (from 7,000 to 1,500 sq ft.) Warehouse in Downtown from Culver City and sold tons of unnecessary equipment…Considering its pretty much just three or four guys running it and were lots of smoke and mirrors should work well enough for now….now to just get some clients…..(none of you are extremely wealthy and successful individuals with a need for a complete Business, or Residential re-design are you?)…actually I’m seriously thinking of keeping it going for another year and seeing what happens and depending selling out and at least breaking slightly better than even….what do you think…

Status
Not open for further replies.
')