This is a thread for geeks

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Just kinda as a "wow I was super bored" and me wanting to test exactly how pimptastic the system was...here we go

I logged in from my system (sunbox) to a UNCC solaris machine over SSH with X forwarding enabled.

I then ran "ma" which is "mosaic anywhere" aka a virtual machine program to run a windows XP client on the solaris machine. So yeah, I did that.

Then I used PuTTY to connect back to my own computer (sunbox).

this is what's shown here, and btw my window manager in this pic is ctwm...and I'm running XMMS from my laptop on SSH w/X forwarding too...I was using xmms-shell because it doesn't fuck your network over...but meh

sshd_mosaic_to_sunbox_via_x_over_ss.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
basically I'm connecting to a computer to connect to another one and then connecting back to mine :lol:

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
btw holy fuck I need to clear out my ram lol

Berger

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think I've done this without x-forwarding(never taking the time to figure that out) but i've done the same with ssh.

so whats your opion on solaris? I found some solaris discs over the weekend when I was going through cds I had in college....

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I was offered two sunbox clients but I can't think of a practical use for them.

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
You mean computers aren't just for pr0n and ss.org

Laptop
No internets
No boobies

FINAL DESTINATION

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Solaris is great, I mean, I can get it to do what I want for me. I can get any computer to be the way I like it so the OS doesn't really matter...but Opensolaris express community edition is the greatest thing since sliced bread. My fucking wireless card didn't work in windows but it worked with opensolaris :yesway: Downloads at OpenSolaris.org There's a new version of it built every week, I used it over the summer at my house. If you want it to be a bit more "noob friendly" or if you're fucking lazy, Nexenta has apt-get and that makes it a bit easier. There's also "pmpkg" but you've kinda got to configure your system to the way it likes to be. BTW they use solaris 9 on their new single-proc 1.6GHz ultra 45s they have which leaves me going :nuts: wtf man put 10 on there it's like twice as fast!!!!

btw CDE is slow as hell, never, ever use it. It makes your system feel like a hog even if it's fast.

lol, the IM box location makes this pic look really weird :lol:

This is my computer right now

wm_sep05.jpg

here's yer boobies

img20050417090351.jpg

and you should follow Jesus

jesussavesP2Jtn.jpg

thadood

'Das brootal.
Reaction score
I'm kind of glad that my *nix days are over (kind of)

I still have Kubuntu loaded on my notebook, which I'll occasionally boot into. However, the day my FreeBSD fileserver bit the dust (Damn you, software raid0!), I said, "fuck it!"

Berger

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. I haven't use solaris since college, we had a nice quad server with thin clients using cde, so yes I understand how bad cde is.

I was hoping there was a ppc version, I have an g3 ibook on the way and am looking for something fun to put on it.

Otherwise I might have to see if I can get one of my desktop systems up and running again to try out solaris.or try the livecd version I saw on there.

Is there still the java 3d os thingy that sun had put out a year or 2 ago?

edit: had to say I'm glad someone else is using windowmaker, that and blackbox are my fav window managers

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
no idea about the 3d-java thingy :shrug: I think they're making a PPC port of opensolaris, not sure though, you can check the "community" page on teh opensolaris site to find out

Berger

Contributor
Reaction score
yup looks like there is a community for it.

There is an announcement on 02 Oct 2006 for the Solaris PowerPC Project Kickoff and nothing since. oh well...I'll have to see if I still have the disc with the java3d thing. It was a live cd from what I remember..sounded like a cool idea.

edit: looked in the forums for the community and it seems things are alive and well, no iso yet...but atleast there is hope for it

')