This is arguably the most awesome thing I've seen in quite some time.

• Thread starter CONTEMPT
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
^he says at about 4:30 that its got "full MIDI capability to access any sort of synth module you might want to" and a USB output. sounds like it can damn near do anything.

I thought I heard that, but I watched it as soon as I woke up so I couldn't entirely remember.

Anyway, I'm back on-board. :shred:

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
its too synthetic sounding for my liking...

I can't tell if this is mildly clever irony, or just plain daft. It's a synthesizer. It's SUPPOSED to sound synthetic. It's not intended to emulate the sound of a guitar. They even say in the video that the whole concept behind it is to give guitarists access to the sounds of electronic music. Also, what you see in the video is a pretty narrow demonstration of its capabilities, since it can sound as real or as synthetic as you want depending on what sound module you use with it.
so that thing amped with an axefx amirite?

yea man throw some bkps in there itll be so brootz

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Ugh, OP is such a noob. This is obviously supposed to go in the 'Half MIDI, half Guitar, All awesome' section.

MODS!

jl-austin

Reaction score
Clearly this look like the best way to play midi synths as a guitar player. I have tried midi guitar pickups, and they have their problems. This does seem like a really good solution.

However, the interface seems a little "clunky" to me. It didn't seem really smooth in doing some of the things that the guy wanted it to do. I'll wait for a couple of versions.

Duraesu

Reaction score
looks good enough to smash =P sorry guys, not a midi fan...

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Continuing what Infamous Impact and yingmin started, can you tune it in 5ths? :p

Looks very interesting I have to admit. I guess you would only get the best out of it though if you have a synth with enough power to use the "guitar" to the fullest of it's capabilities.

All kinds of awesome would be available then.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Total waste of time. Don't you wanna FEEL the vibrations of the steel and earth(tree)? The total convergence of man,beast,and earth. I'd rather play a rubber band than that trinket.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Total waste of time. Don't you wanna FEEL the vibrations of the steel and earth(tree)? The total convergence of man,beast,and earth. I'd rather play a rubber band than that trinket.

How can you play a drum kit, piano, and alto sax at once on a standard guitar?

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
How can you play a drum kit, piano, and alto sax at once on a standard guitar?

There are definitely guitar synths out that are that powerful. Really, the instrument in this thread isn't BETTER than a good guitar synth setup, it just works differently, giving you more control in some respects, and less in others.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
There are definitely guitar synths out that are that powerful. Really, the instrument in this thread isn't BETTER than a good guitar synth setup, it just works differently, giving you more control in some respects, and less in others.

Having used the 2 most prominent MIDI pickup systems available (Roland and GraphTech), I'll have to disagree with you on this. They're extremely limited in their capabilities.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
The pickup is only half the picture, though. Which synths have you used it with?

CONTEMPT

MIDI ninja
Reaction score
Continuing what Infamous Impact and yingmin started, can you tune it in 5ths? :p

Looks very interesting I have to admit. I guess you would only get the best out of it though if you have a synth with enough power to use the "guitar" to the fullest of it's capabilities.

All kinds of awesome would be available then.

There's been no official word on this, but it seems customizable to the Nth degree. I'd ASSUME that you can individually set each string's tuning via the menus as it would be the exact opposite of WINNING to exclude this.

However, even if it's locked in standard tuning and concert pitch, I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before someone creates some sort of 'tuner' app for the LINUX OS.

One word: LATENCY. The Roland MIDI pickup setups I've played with have a major tracking delay between what you play on the guitar and what comes out of the synth box it's connected to. From the demos I've seen this thing has NO tracking delay at all.

Last edited:

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. Like other dude said, the issue is the tracking, not the unit it's connected to.

It does matter, because the pickup isn't the only thing that determines how well it tracks. I've owned five different guitar synths, and there are substantial differences in tracking between all of them, even with the same pickup. The current generation of Roland stuff doesn't seem to have any noticeable latency, even using the GK3, which is generally agreed to be inferior to the Ghost.

CONTEMPT

MIDI ninja
Reaction score
It does matter, because the pickup isn't the only thing that determines how well it tracks. I've owned five different guitar synths, and there are substantial differences in tracking between all of them, even with the same pickup. The current generation of Roland stuff doesn't seem to have any noticeable latency, even using the GK3, which is generally agreed to be inferior to the Ghost.

however, this has no MIDI pickup. There's no strings. It's not a guitar synth, technically, more like a keyboard with a fret-like interface and a touch-screen control to actuate the instrument. The tracking delay on guitar MIDI pickups is caused by the pickup and the synth unit it's attached to having to convert the raw data from the MIDI pickup from string vibration to actual MIDI data. There'll be zero latency as you're just triggering raw MIDI data on a guitar-like interface and sending it directly into an external source with no intermediary (and no need for one as you're dealing in raw MIDI signal with no conversion). Modern latencies on guitar synths are down to as low as 1/10 of a second, but they're still there and you have to adjust your playing accordingly. This, in theory, should actually feel more natural in a response sense.

')