This is how i do a one man death metal band live laptop rig

• Thread starter zombieritual
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zombieritual

Reaction score
[YOUTUBEVID]XR7qTH-gUQM[/YOUTUBEVID]

here's a video i made last night, sorry if i wasn't paying attention where the camera was pointing sometimes haha i just shot it on my iphone at like 2am. my laptop has an i5 processor, 8GB of ram, 500GB 7200rpm hdd. any other questions feel free to ask! oh and this is how it sounds haha

[YOUTUBEVID]JdeRSvl01jY[/YOUTUBEVID]
[YOUTUBEVID]AZXLA6XUjlk[/YOUTUBEVID]
[YOUTUBEVID]ZM-lEk0kbTI[/YOUTUBEVID]

there are a couple more that i played but i'm giving those out to people on email list so if anyone's interested check out my website and sign up! or not, either way is cool haha. oh and there were actually about 25 people there, i opened the show and they ended up staying back behind where the camera could see. i had my gopro mounted on a post on a table. also, the video audio switches from what the camera picked up in between songs to what i was coming out of my laptop because this setup allows me to record what i'm playing at the same time. so this way i get audio and video of all of my shows!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zombieritual

Reaction score
Dude, that's pretty cool.

thanks dude!

How many gigs have you done like this and what's the general crowd reaction like?

well that was actually my first one, people seemed to like it though. the only slightly negative thing that i heard was from a few people saying that the drums weren't loud enough, but i'm not sure if that was on the sound guy or i just needed to turn up my drum track on the laptop a couple db or not. they said it got better after the first song or two so i'm assuming it was good on my end, because they didn't say anything about the 2nd guitar or bass being too loud and all that shit's on the same stereo out. i was kinda worried about reactions when i decided to do this, but everyone around here is used to seeing it since putrid pile is only an hour north and maggot twat is local. they've both played that bar many times before too so it's not as out of place around here. plus i try not to just stand there emotionless, just because i'm glued to a mic a lot doesn't mean that i can't still try to give them a good show. i dunno, hopefully i'll get some more gigs and they'll go as well or better than this one.

That's rad, dude! Very creative. Nice playing, too!

thanks man, glad you dug it!

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Pretty awesome, I'm pretty much in the same scenario with my other band now, it does throw people off a bit but it goes over well once people get into it.

Have you considered having some LED lights to fill up some space?

jase

Reaction score
Sick!! Awesome tones and nice setup, too!

Do you let the project file play in between songs or do you pause it? Just came up with an idea, would it work to have a MIDI footswitch up front to toggle play/stop?

zombieritual

Reaction score
wow! What a cool setup.
some sick songs and vocals to

thanks!!

Pretty awesome, I'm pretty much in the same scenario with my other band now, it does throw people off a bit but it goes over well once people get into it.

Have you considered having some LED lights to fill up some space?

nice! i dig what you guys are doing! yeah there are a lot of things i plan to do as far as the stage setup, it's just an issue of money at the moment. i plan on eventually having a good light setup that's also controlled from the laptop but that's definitely a ways away still. i've also been toying around with having a projector screen playing a video of myself playing the 2nd guitar parts live just because i think it would be funny. the 2nd guitar and bass tracks are always going to be played live either the day of the show or the night before and i'm not going to overdub them at all, just so it adds a bit more realism. there were a couple little parts in those tracks in the videos above that i definitely would have redone if i was doing a studio recording but that's not how it works in a live setting so i'm just leaving it as is. i've also thought about playing one guitar part and then using that as the recording for the next show and playing the other one live, but i've got some riffs that i just can't sing and play over yet so that might not happen for awhile.

Sick!! Awesome tones and nice setup, too!

Do you let the project file play in between songs or do you pause it? Just came up with an idea, would it work to have a MIDI footswitch up front to toggle play/stop?

thanks!! the bass and guitars are all axefx, i didn't add any post processing for the final mixdown or anything, i'm glad you like it!

and for this show i had ended up pausing it because i broke a string at the beginning of the first song, so had to change over for that and then i had to skip a song later so i paused it again for that part. i had been told i'd have a 30 minute set so i just picked the songs that would fit and gave myself about 30 seconds in between each song to retune and get a drink if i needed and to say a few words but the plan was to let it just play so i wouldn't have to keep turning around to start and stop it. plus it would make syncing up the video a lot easier because both files would be about the same length so i wouldn't have to do it for multiple songs. i'm not sure how well the MIDI footswitch would work for this setup, i know shaun from putrid pile used to do something similar with his backing drums. i did a tour with him in one of my old bands like 10 years ago and i can't for the life of me remember what he was using back then for that but i know he had a little footswitch up front. my setup is definitely more complicated than that but at the same time it's easier because i just hit record and keep going until it's done.

Nmaster

Reaction score
I'm really digging this, great work man! Your riffs are fantastic. :hbang: And those vocals are sick.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Dude, you're kind of fvcking awesome. \m/

Rei

BrutalChefMetal
Reaction score
:hbang:....in inspiring! Killer show, man! -heads back to home studio- You guys'll be hearing about a one-(wo)man death metal project in the SF Bay Area soon! Just think, a one-man extreme metal tour called the legion is one tour. CHEERS!

zombieritual

Reaction score
:hbang:....in inspiring! Killer show, man! -heads back to home studio- You guys'll be hearing about a one-(wo)man death metal project in the SF Bay Area soon! Just think, a one-man extreme metal tour called the legion is one tour. CHEERS!

hell yeah that's awesome! that would be a fun tour for sure

Latest posts

')