This is insane!!! tremolo!!picking!!!

• Thread starter Alex-D33
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
These videos are seriously putting me off practising alternate picking, for fear of ending up sounding like one of these guys! :lol:

Robotic picking for the LOSE!!!

Agree 100%. Watching these makes me really glad I dropped out of the Guitar Olympics... I really don't understand why anyone would devote all their time to playing like that and then filming it.

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
Agree 100%. Watching these makes me really glad I dropped out of the Guitar Olympics... I really don't understand why anyone would devote all their time to playing like that and then filming it.

:agreed: 100 percent :lol:
guitar olympic's :lol: good one haven't heard that before :yesway:
I respect guy's like Rusty / Angelo / and all those who started the trend of SHREDDING ..but why do we need to push the limits to a point where you need to practice 24 hours a day to get Cyborg fast :scratch: :nuts: :lol:
And the worst part of it is ..when those guy's slow down there frazing usually suck . I guess it's the lack of musical interest ...of course this does not apply to Rusty / Angelo / Gilbert / Petrucci / MacAlpine /and manyt others ..

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
:agreed: 100 percent :lol:
guitar olympic's :lol: good one haven't heard that before :yesway:
I respect guy's like Rusty / Angelo / and all those who started the trend of SHREDDING ..but why do we need to push the limits to a point where you need to practice 24 hours a day to get Cyborg fast :scratch: :nuts: :lol:

The thing is with guys like Cooley and Angelo, and all the other premier 'shredders', the speed is only one part of what they do; they both actually write and perform proper songs (incidentally I think both of those guys are pretty underrated composers). Even during the Shrapnel years, where shred was fashionable, it was all still within the context of full songs (of varying quality, depending on your perspective, but that's a topic for another thread). All these Youtube vids of guys playing arpeggios and scales at insane speeds seem like that trend taken to its absolute idiotic extreme. Because of all thes ridiculous videos, I've come to think of 'shredder' and 'soloist' as being almost mutually exclusive terms these past few years, just because a lot of these guys are actually really really bad improvisers...

I know it probably sounds pretty arrogant, but I think anyone who listens to a great guitarist and thinks that their speed is the only thing to aspire to must be rather shallow.

OK, sermon over...:lol:

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
The thing is with guys like Cooley and Angelo, and all the other premier 'shredders', the speed is only one part of what they do; they both actually write and perform proper songs (incidentally I think both of those guys are pretty underrated composers). Even during the Shrapnel years, where shred was fashionable, it was all still within the context of full songs (of varying quality, depending on your perspective, but that's a topic for another thread). All these Youtube vids of guys playing arpeggios and scales at insane speeds seem like that trend taken to its absolute idiotic extreme. Because of all thes ridiculous videos, I've come to think of 'shredder' and 'soloist' as being almost mutually exclusive terms these past few years, just because a lot of these guys are actually really really bad improvisers...

I know it probably sounds pretty arrogant, but I think anyone who listens to a great guitarist and thinks that their speed is the only thing to aspire to must be rather shallow.

OK, sermon over...:lol:

Shit this is so true :agreed: :hbang:

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Both of them are crazy fast, especially that first guy. Man, that is weird. If he could get the left hand going, he'd really have something.

But, you know, that's one aspect. I like that shit, but I'm a heavy drinker, too. ;)

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score

After watching the first guy, i think that he's like, just can play like that. Like being double jointed. i just think he's some freak who can vibrate his wrist really fast. And he really didnt seem to have an ego, or as much as you'd think he'd have.

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
After watching the first guy, i think that he's like, just can play like that. Like being double jointed. i just think he's some freak who can vibrate his wrist really fast. And he really didnt seem to have an ego, or as much as you'd think he'd have.

I know and that's what surprised me , he seem'd to be very down to earth & laid back .:yesway:

As for the other guy with the 8 string :shred: boy can he pick like a mofo .
plus he seems to have nice frazin when he slows down ...I mean not ERIC JOHNSON phrazin but cool nonetheless .

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
It's lightening fast but... Who cares? Cold demonstration.
Imo, guitar is not meant to be played that fast. It's so fast, it's beyond comprehension.

Verdict : :lame:

There's nothing more to it than speed.
Honestly, i'm not impressed at all. I've guitar playing that was way more impressive than this.

Just my :2c:

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
Imo, guitar is not meant to be played that fast. It's so fast, it's beyond comprehension.

Honestly, i'm not impressed at all. I've guitar playing that was way more impressive than this.

couldn't agree with you more...

:hbang:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score

He says in the comments that he's not trying to be impressive, and that it's just a "novelty talent".

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
This is, as others have stated, incredibly stupid.

I could tighten the muscles in my picking arm and pick that fast with a bit of practice. So what? Seeing how fast you can play has about as much application to music as a dude pulling a 18-wheeler with his earlobes has to do with weight-lifting.

It takes a lot more talent to actually write a good song. Sounds like somebody failed at music and is in denial.

Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit extreme or arrogant, but I seriously hate this stuff :mad: Shit like this takes the beauty that is guitar and music, and mutilates it beyond recognition.

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
He says in the comments that he's not trying to be impressive, and that it's just a "novelty talent".

Chris you got the point ...:agreed:
As the guy stated ..this is just for kick's :yesway:
glad to see i'm not the only one here who think's so

but!!! you got to give what the dude has ...a great Cyborg arm :lol:
anyway it's a weird talent ..IMHO:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
This is, as others have stated, incredibly stupid.

I could tighten the muscles in my picking arm and pick that fast with a bit of practice. So what? Seeing how fast you can play has about as much application to music as a dude pulling a 18-wheeler with his earlobes has to do with weight-lifting.

It takes a lot more talent to actually write a good song. Sounds like somebody failed at music and is in denial.

Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit extreme or arrogant, but I seriously hate this stuff :mad: Shit like this takes the beauty that is guitar and music, and mutilates it beyond recognition.

Again, I think you missed the part where the guy basically flat out says he isn't trying to show off guitar prowess, just that he can trem pick insanely fast.

Are you equally mad about the Meshuggah video? Or do you really find that great, inspirational music? :lol:

I could tighten the muscles in my picking arm and pick that fast with a bit of practice

Go to it then. I know I couldn't.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit extreme or arrogant
That post did come off about as arrogant as your average bedroom shredder, which is ironically who you're criticizing.

Who cares, really?
The guy said it was a novelty talent, just thought it was interesting (Not applicable to anything) and just wanted to post it. You're coming off with more ego than him implying he can't write songs. How do you know? how many songs have heard from him?

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
That post did come off about as arrogant as your average bedroom shredder, which is ironically who you're criticizing.

Who cares, really?
The guy said it was a novelty talent, just thought it was interesting (Not applicable to anything) and just wanted to post it. You're coming off with more ego than him implying he can't write songs. How do you know? how many songs have heard from him?

I second the motion :yesway: :agreed:

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score

Who cares, really?

What I'm trying to say is that it takes a lot more talent to write a good song than to do this. This is a purely mechanical exercise which many people can achieve if they put in the time and effort. "Novelty talent?" I could spend all day trying to set a new record in how fast I do a trill on my guitar, and it would be every bit as pointless to watch and annoying to listen to.

I haven't heard any of this guy's stuff so I can't criticise that, but I find it absurd to the point of sillyness that someone would sit around and invest hours into something like this.

Again, sorry if I'm going against the grain here, nothing against you fellas, just my opinion again :wavey: Still, I think that youtube is the worst thing to happen to guitar since Kurt Cobain.

')