This is the most racist campaign ad I have ever seen.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, Dan Fanelli, neither of them look like terrorists. They both look like ACTORS.

Just one odd little bit I want to add, regarding that guy who was talking about racial segregation. I have a friend who lived here for about a year, she moved from Vancouver Island to the Yukon for an internship. Anyone from BC knows that Vancouver Island is where all the most liberal people in Canada are bred, aside from maybe the Kootenays. However, this girl, while quite liberal, was also a poli-sci major and VERY smart (not to mention quite gorgeous, charming and cultured; I would sweep her away in a second if I had the chance). As far as our discussions went, we were often yin to each other's yang. However, we both respected each other because we could back up our talk, and we were also really good friends otherwise.

This is all leading up to say that, despite the liberal environment that this girl came from, and despite her views on a great many things that meshed perfectly with the left-leaning society, she had one particular view that flat out went exactly the other way. She never told this to anyone else, because she knew they would never understand, but she believed heavily in Endogamy, that being a cultural "birds of a feather" mindset in which people of a given ethnic group grow up, marry and live within that group for the rest of their lives, the same "tribe" as it were. While I'm not saying this is the only factor, I think at least part of this stems from the fact that she was of 100% german decent, but living in a land that values multiculturalism as highly as Canada does and interacting regularly with people of other cultures is simply unavoidable.

I can't remember how we got on this discussion, but I only found out about that particular view a few months after she left the Yukon and went back to BC, while we were talking on Facebook. I remember I had to pry it out of her, and that she was only barely willing to tell me, despite the fact that, on the outside with my fairly conservative outlook, I would appear to be the person to most sympathize with that point of view (even though I really don't). So I knew that she realized the relative irrationality of that particular belief, because she took pains to make sure that no one knew she felt that way, but she felt that way all the same.

All this to say, the feeling that people should be separated by race and culture is not one borne solely of political factors or even general outlook. When I hear that video, I most certainly am horrified at the obvious bigotry he portrays. However, knowing what I know about my friend, simply looking at the underlying fact of the matter, I get the feeling that there may be more than just racist smoke and mirrors to that particular issue. I don't think it's something that should define us, like that crazy nutjob Jim Russell, but I think it's possible that there is some sort of genetic mechanism built into people with the specific function of keeping us bound to our culture, and that even if it's not adhered to, it's not something to be ignored.

And actually, watching that video, I'd be more inclined to think the guy on the left in the white was a terrorist, one of the "evil KGB mind control scientist" type dudes.

Holy Katana

Wait, what?
Reaction score
I'm so thankful I got the fuck out of Alabama. I had to spend my first ten years there. I don't know if I'd be allowed in today. :lol:

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
So, after finally reading all of the posts, I would like to add my 2 cents, from an outsiders point of view.

First of all. Not understanding English (or any language foreign to you) well enough to pass a test, with entire walls of text as questions is one thing. Not understanding a street sign, or situation on the road is another.

for example: "Qué se debe de hacer si un ciego intenta cruzar el camino"
I'm asking what should you do If a blind person wants to cross a road. You dont need to understand the language to know what to do.

Then there are the signs:

english stop sign:
Stop_Sign.JPG

spanish stop sign:
alto.jpg

english yield sign:
yield_sign_on_white.jpg

spanish yield sign:
Ceda-el-Paso.gif

They really are UNIVERSAL signs. You don't make road signs with 100 words, since then you take your attention off the roads!!

Even If you dont know how to pronounce the name of a street, you can still know if it's the street your are looking for. (And there are dozens of languages using the same alphabet.)

I think the main thing that irritates me about the video in the OP, is that THAT is what he is using to get votes. I mean, he could be saying... If you are driving completely wasted and kill a band member of Unearth (RIP, but I need to use this example) you will get more than 6 months in Jail.

groph

Reaction score
I don't know that they've ever looked at overwhelming evidence of anything...hence their ignorance. But point taken in some cases. That's why I acknowledge that there are cultural racists....racists come in all shapes and sizes, but they eventually find their way to alabama whatever their root cause of ignorance

A CULTURAL racist? That would be a "culturist", which I'd assume would be somebody who thinks that their culture is superior to all others. That term probably doesn't even exist.

Racism is only racism if there's an implication that there is a superior race/inferior race based solely on differences due to racial background. Segregation in the US was racist, blacks were treated differently because the general consensus (for lack of a better term) still believed that blacks were somehow inferior people, I'm sure you know the story. Segregation is an example of institutionalized (built into the system and normalized) racism. The Holocaust is probably the "best" example of racism, because Hitler believed very clearly that the Aryan race was superior to ALL others, and of course he took it to the point of killing 11-17 million people.

I feel like I'm splitting hairs, and I've said this before, but I really hate it when people misuse the word "racism". Even addressing somebody as a racial slur isn't racist per se. Yeah, most people who would do that probably have some kind of uneducated opinion of the group of people they feel they must degrade for whatever reason, but they're only racist if they believe that there are differences between races that justify calling one superior or inferior.

Racism - from Dictionary.com

noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

So #3 kind of goes against what I said because it includes intolerance of other races as being racist, but Dictionary.com is not the king of dictionaries, and intolerance of other races is just bigotry.

In my opinion, the fact that "racism" is often mis-used only serves to cheapen the word and take away from the horrible thing racism actually is. I'm also kind of angry that schools teach the wrong definition of racism. If they called it "bigotry" then that would be fine. "Racism" is just a strong word with powerful implications so I don't think it should be thrown around.

Now, if this guy in the commercial was acting under the basis of racism, then yes he's racist, but the commercial doesn't go into enough depth for people to jump to that conclusion based on the commercial alone.

')