This or That!? Used Ltd h207 vs Agile Hawker 727 ?

Progmikef

Reaction score
I'm in desperate need of a 7 string (had my h1007 stolen) and I wasl wondering what you guys thought between an Ltd h207 (I believe these are no longer made) and an Agile Hawker 727
Both are at a local music pawn and are both $290 !
Here's the catch...
The Agile has Crunchlab/liquifire pups, but has a tremolo which I'm not a fan of/used to.

Also, I have my eyes on a Jackson Dka7 or SLATHX-M 3-7 if you think saving would be a better choice.

Halp. Plz.

Attachments

• 20150822_120716.jpg
    20150822_120716.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
  • 20150822_120554.jpg
    20150822_120554.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 40

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stevexc

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of MiK LTDs and would personally go for the H-207. But in theory both guitars should be similar quality, and the Agile does have the upgraded pickups. Honestly? Play them both, since you've got the opportunity, and get the one that feels best.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I think trying them both is the only real solution. I've never been a fan of Ltd stuff with model numbers below 400, so without being able to try one I'd probably go for the Agile instead.

stevexc

Reaction score
I'd take the Agile over a low level Ltd any day.

I think trying them both is the only real solution. I've never been a fan of Ltd stuff with model numbers below 400, so without being able to try one I'd probably go for the Agile instead.

...Have you guys actually played any of the pre-Deluxe series LTDs? Up until like 2005 or so, there WEREN'T any LTDs above 300 level, and they were all built at World. Easily on par with the Deluxes today in terms of build quality. They're a far cry from the Chinese and Indonesian lower-level LTDs today.

If OP were looking at one of these I'd agree with you, but in my experience they're quite a step up from that.

pastanator

electronic musician
Reaction score
First off sorry about your guitar being stolen. That's a bummer and a half. Second off agreeing with the people who say play both and pick which one you like more. I

Progmikef

Reaction score
My bad on the late ass reply guys.

But I definitely appreciate the advice! I agree on playing both more and choosing by feel. I'll have to go back up there soon and try again one last time, but I did end up playing the Agile for about 20 minutes haha. Though that Orange tiny terror was pretty sweet too. Maybe I'll be posting a NGD update soon. Thanks again.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
Something else to think about is that Hawker, if it's truly a 727, has a 27" scale, so the neck will be longer and the frets further apart than the H-1007 you're used to.

It will also sound CRAP-tons better than that LTD, assuming the LTD still has the stock pickups, because the Duncan Designed JB7 in the bridge is hoooooorrible. I have an M-207 from the same era, and I love it dearly, but the first thing I did was replace that bridge pickup (and eventually the neck, though the DD Jazz7 there wasn't as bad).

If you end up getting the Hawker, let me know if the pawn shop has a website, I've wanted an H-207 to match my M for years now :lol:

Progmikef

Reaction score
I hear you, but I have actually been wanting a longer scale lately. I play a lot of jazz but also a great deal of progressive material in lower tunings. I adapt fairly quickly too so I'm not really that concerned, especially since i sat and played that Agile and it felt nice already.

And i will definitely check on the whole website thing for you! I know how bad some people have looked for that h207 and honestly I do see why haha. Such a tough desicion...but what guitarist isn't picky anyways.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Up until like 2005 or so, there WEREN'T any LTDs above 300 level

I'm mostly basing my opinion on my Ex-400 (from 2006 I think) and B416SM (2012 maybe?), which both had cheaper versions at the time I got them (Ex-260 and B216SM). I'm not very picky by any means, but I didn't like the 200 series versions compared to what I got.

stevexc

Reaction score
I'm mostly basing my opinion on my Ex-400 (from 2006 I think) and B416SM (2012 maybe?), which both had cheaper versions at the time I got them (Ex-260 and B216SM). I'm not very picky by any means, but I didn't like the 200 series versions compared to what I got.

Yeah, these are fairly different than the more modern low-level ones - previously, ESP's LTD line was all made in Korea with the same general build quality, and different tiers of hardware. They would still play just as well as the current Deluxes.

The 100s were basswood with basic inlays and LTD pickups. The 200s (like the one OP found) would be "normal" wood like ash or mahogany (in most cases) with Duncan Designed pickups, and the 300s would be neck-thru (in most cases) with figured tops (well, probably veneers) and 3rd party pickups (mostly EMGs).

If you see an old looking LTD with a low number, check the serial/manufacturer... the old Korean ones tend to be dirt cheap and FANTASTIC mod platforms in my experience. If you're into LTDs, that is.

I don't know. It's early, I'm super sleepy, and I'm rambling. Ignore me.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Older LTDS are definitely awesome guitars. I have an EC400AT that I love to pieces. There is also a 2005 Model M-250 at the local GC that I've spent quite a bit of time with......

indreku

Reaction score
get the ltd man, I love all the old stuff + it has a cockstock. I own a 2002 baritone ltd Viper and it is the ...., tried all the newer 400 series ones and they don't come to bar with them.
I am still trying to get one ltd 300 series from a friend, who got it dirt cheap and will not part with it(and he has changed few erally high end level instruments during this time and this has stayed).
Yes I know that the pickups are a bummer, but the guitar itself will compensate it.
If these were so bad guitars we would see them on sale all the time, but the reality is(at least in Europe) there are non to be found and if one does pop up, they are sold within few minutes sometimes.

Progmikef

Reaction score
You guys are making this so difficult! Hahah ....
But honestly, it's a tough choice with all the pros/cons between both.
I'm going back up there hopefully tomorrow to play some more and hopefully lock one in. Thanks everyone.

Progmikef

Reaction score
Update : Realized there IS an online store for that pawn shop and also that the LTD comes with an SKB Hardcase. If I dont buy it tomorrow I'm putting that .... on layaway.
I'll just upgrade the pickups after I buy it. Stoked.

Latest posts

')