This Shouldn't Be My Favourite Guitar (AKA A Go Ahead And Hate Me NGD)

• Thread starter ThatCanadianGuy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThatCanadianGuy

Where am I? D:
Reaction score
As the owner of said strandberg with crooked inlays, I'm actually surprised my build is so infamous. Whatever though, Ola did right by me. He even offered a rebuild despite meaning that would cost him more, I was the one who asked for a refund because the guitar played really well and I didn't want it gone for months.

Also, interesting points on IP. But I beg to differ. My thoughts are bracketed.

1. No logo. People who are aware of Ola and his work will know immediately that a Grote=/=.strandberg*. (No, people who know what a strandberg is but not knowledgeable enough to tell the differences will think this is a strandberg, straight up.)

2. Market differentiation. The people shelling out .strandberg* money will not even look twice at this. Hell, I absolutely love this guitar, but I know it doesn't stack up to Ola's creations. (There will be differentiation, but it also gives people the opportunity to get a cheaper, copied alternative instead of saving up for a real one and supporting Ola in the process)

3. Ola didn't invent headless guitars. He'll even say this himself, I'm sure. And the hardware isn't even remotely similar. It's all proprietary (or by another import company doing headless systems.) (Yes, but he did invent/design the boden shape, which is really the point of buying this over buying a copy of an ibanez voyager for example.)

4. The strat. Practically every guitar company has an iteration of such, and they all play and sound very differently. Hell, a lot of people still search for pre-lawsuit instruments from companies like ESP that have very blatantly ripped off the originals. (The only reason why the strat was copied so much was because laws were not put in place early enough to stem the spread of replica building and also something called the internet was not widely available for the original designers to pursue the copying quickly enough.)

In short, people are going to copy things. In fact, there are boutique custom luthiers making much more blatant .strandberg* copies that everyone loves. The stolen IP argument just doesn't make sense to me. (In short, people are going to copy things, yes. But copying is copying. Piracy is piracy, whatever way you look at it. How would people react if somebody recorded a song that sounded exactly like another well known song with some minor changes and called it their own? Don't get me wrong, spend your money whatever way you want to, just don't JUSTIFY copying.)

I respect that you have your own opinion as an owner of a .strandberg*. I simply feel differently.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I don't own a strandberg, but the fact that he is so open with the diagrams and (especially) licensing rules of the Boden makes me a little leery of these knock-offs. I want one, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet for exactly this reason.

ThatCanadianGuy

Where am I? D:
Reaction score
I don't own a strandberg, but the fact that he is so open with the diagrams and (especially) licensing rules of the Boden makes me a little leery of these knock-offs. I want one, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet for exactly this reason.

That was also one of the reasons I was happy they didn't attempt to copy the hardware or make an attempt at the Endur neck.

BigBossAF

Kept you waiting, huh?
Reaction score
Actually you're not the first person I've seen aroung that enjoyed this. I guess it can be a modding base for a great guitar!
Anyways, I don't know if there are any other market options going on for headless at like 500$ range. No shame in enjoying a guitar that feels good to play! Happy NGD!

ThatCanadianGuy

Where am I? D:
Reaction score
Actually you're not the first person I've seen aroung that enjoyed this. I guess it can be a modding base for a great guitar!
Anyways, I don't know if there are any other market options going on for headless at like 500$ range. No shame in enjoying a guitar that feels good to play! Happy NGD!

Thank you! It's something that some people choose to respond emotionally to. And after considering what most people invest into these instruments, and then to see someone who paid under $500CND for what looks like their $3000 instrument... It can be a kick in the nuts. But like I've said, despite the shape, it's not a .strandberg*. It hasn't earned that label, and it isn't affiliated in any way. It's a completely different instrument.

')