Thomann Alternatives

Edika

Reaction score
I would say that I had a relatively sour taste left to my mouth by GAK. I wanted to order a neck pickup and GAK had the best price and suspiciously with no shipping. To be honest the pickup was in for order but I assumed by putting in my address and all it would provide a shipping quote. At the time I ordered it I had put my debit card.

They gave me an expected date and it will be in stock and ship. A couple of days passed after the quoted day and I asked what was the status and received a reply that it will take one more week. No problem as I wasn't in a hurry to receive the pickup. However since the payment wasn't taken from my card within a week the bank cancelled the transaction and when it was finally in stock they contacted me if I still wanted the pickup and if they should charge my card.

So far so good but I wanted to pay with my credit car as I was running low on my bank account at that moment.
The reply was that I had to cancel my order and order it again putting my credit card details which seemed reasonable so I asked them to cancel my order and I went to order the pickup again. Going to the payment page however a £20 shipping cost got added to the price of the pickup that wasn't there on my initial order. I assume it was because it was in a pre-order status. And £20 to ship a pickup inside the UK? Yes I know it was not in the mainland UK but £20? So if I had given them the go ahead to charge my debit card instead of cancelling the order I would have gotten a nice surprise!

I'm not saying it's a bad store or that they don't have good prices some times, but they can be a lot more transparent on the shipping costs, especially for items on order or pre-ordered. Personally I'll only consider them again if they have a really good bargain. Similarly priced items go to any other shop.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MajorTom

Supreme Being
Reaction score
If you guys are looking for the music store with the absolute worst website I highly recommend that you check out Rich Tone Music, it's super easy to find out what they have just sold, and what you have just missed out on purchasing, it's next to impossible to find out what they have in stock, you literally have to scroll through pages and pages of 'out of stock' and 'you just missed' before you can find anything in stock to buy.

I honestly nominate it not just the worst music shop website, but the worst designed website, worst organized, and worst in general website:

Rich Tone Music Sheffield - Homepage - Rich Tone Music

I mean, who is honestly interested in out of stock items that they can't buy, or deals that they can't take advantage of, this is one shop where I highly recommend you use the website just to get their phone number so that you can call them and save yourself the hassle of trying to browse it, and place your order with them on the phone, but be aware, this is another shop that sometimes takes weeks to send out orders that they claim are in stock.

Saying that I am honestly super tempted to buy this guitar strap off of them:

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/peavey_dc_comics_batman_leather_strap.asp

Edika

Reaction score
^I've seen that and it was both annoying and hilarious. They do have a lot of stuff on ebay so at least you know these are still for sale lol!

')