Those of you who use a tubemiester 18, help me.

• Thread starter will_shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I've heard that it's a pretty good amp for metal, but I picked one up to give it a test run and well the lead channel is awful. The cleans are very nice, but it's clearly not meant for metal. So those of you who do use it for metal, what do you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
You could throw a distortion pedal into the FX loop, I put a Wampler Plextortion into the loop and the pedal became the sound of the amp effectively, this also means your overall levels are dictated by the pedal too. Into the front though, the Clean channel makes the distortion very thin sounding, not sure what a clean boost or OD will do but might be worth trying.

vancouvermetalguitarguy

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it has similar gain structures to the Triamp or Duotone, but if it does, you definitely need to keep the gain on the amp to 12-2o'clock (anymore and it'll sound washy) and boost the front end with a TS.

All the H&K I've had including the triamp,duotone,tube edition,zentera,zenamp :lol: they weren't made for metal because the low end isn't as tight as most metal amps but you can definitely get into that territory in terms of gain.

Nevertheless, I believe it has an serial fx loop in the back, throw in EQ in there and I'm PRETTY SURE you'll get a pretty "metal amp"

cheers

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
I personally use a tight metal straight into the fx return if I'm going to use my TM18 for metal. As mentioned, the amp doesn't control volume or EQ when done this way, but changing between lead and clean gives two different tonal choices still. Haven't tried fuzz straight to the return yet, the amp seems much more receptive to fuzz than distortion through the front. It handles a boost pretty well as long as you set everything right.

I'm realizing more and more what H&K meant by the vol/gain being interactive for shaping the sound and do not function quite like they do on other amps.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I thought it was great for metal. If you EQ it right, it can be very tight and clear. Or loose and brutal. Your choice. Only problem is that you need to have the gain almost maxed with the lead boost on. It has JUST enough gain.

Having it on 1 watt mode helps a lot too.

metalguy_hk

Reaction score
I've heard that it's a pretty good amp for metal, but I picked one up to give it a test run and well the lead channel is awful. The cleans are very nice, but it's clearly not meant for metal. So those of you who do use it for metal, what do you do?

i am currently using zakk overdrive to boost the lead and plug the amptweaker tight metal pedal into fx loop and it sounds kick ass

')