Thoughts about Lace X-bar and Deathbar

cesar

Reaction score
What is you guys experience in using 2 x bars , 1x1 or 2 death bars?

Any input will be greatlly appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I put an Alumitone neck and deathbar bridge in my JEM and it was the worst guitar decision I've ever made. They sound absolutely terrible. They are so bad I had to check with a tech and make sure they were wired properly.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
It's very much a taste thing, they are very modern and hi-fi sounding

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
I have a DB7 bridge and Alumatone 7 neck in my Strandberg OS7, with proper height adjustment they work very well together. The sound is definitely an acquired taste, check out youtube and others' clips to get an idea.

I'm running mine into a 1x12 VHT Pittbull 50 combo amp, and without any pedals I can go from glassy cleans to mild dirt to singing leads to all out brutality. Sure there are some pickups that specialize more in one of those areas than others, but for my 7 string playing the Lace's allow me to get any useable tone I could imagine.

lewis

Reaction score
I put an Alumitone neck and deathbar bridge in my JEM and it was the worst guitar decision I've ever made. They sound absolutely terrible. They are so bad I had to check with a tech and make sure they were wired properly.

This. I regret it too. I went Deathbar bridge, Xbar neck in my 8 string.
All I get is low mid fuzz with amazing clarity and string seperation.

They dont sound/feel like normal pickups and I just do not get on with them. Amazing clean tone but thats it.

I will be replacing them long term

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I loved the xbars i had in my old strandberg. Best cleans i've ever had and also takes gain like crazy. Super versatile but that fizz is definitely present.

cesar

Reaction score
I loved the xbars i had in my old strandberg. Best cleans i've ever had and also takes gain like crazy. Super versatile but that fizz is definitely present.

Which seemed better on note definition and ''mellowness'' ?

I particulary prefer softer sounds ,like using neck pickup for leads for a more sweet and full sound.

I suppose the death bar has a higher output and more midrange i am right?

Probably going for 2 x bars it seems.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Which seemed better on note definition and ''mellowness'' ?

I particulary prefer softer sounds ,like using neck pickup for leads for a more sweet and full sound.

I suppose the death bar has a higher output and more midrange i am right?

Probably going for 2 x bars it seems.

the x-bar is definitely more mellow than the deathbar. About half the output of the deathbucker and less midrange. The x-bar in the neck position sounds great with great clarity but still totally capable of soft jazzy sounds and liquidy high gain tones for soloing. The X-bar can still get plenty br00tal, it's just more versatile than the deathbar imo.

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
Agreed ^, but the DB is no slouch in the bridge position for versatility as well. I play a bunch of Porcupine Tree and Incubus covers w my GF on keys, the DB can nail pretty much any tone, esp with the coil split option and some deftness w the volume and tone knobs. All IMHO, I know there is a fairly large camp that simply does not like their sound for much of anything.

Latest posts

')