Thoughts about the new Hotone Ampero?

Eumldeuml

Reaction score
Since I want to upgrade from my Zoom G5 (which is slowly giving up) I'm thinking about getting the Hotone Ampero. It offers a quite attractive package in a small form factor for a reasonable price.
Has anyone of you already tried it and can give some thoughts about it (and maybe compare it to similar priced devices like the POD 500X)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tuttermuts

Reaction score
I've been following it at some closed group back when it wasn't really announced yet (that I know off) kinda hoping it would be the next thing to upgrade my hd500x. But eventually I wasn't entirely convinced. Mostly because the blocks couldn't move (maybe that's updated?) And the sound had this weird top end in every other video.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Since I want to upgrade from my Zoom G5 (which is slowly giving up) I'm thinking about getting the Hotone Ampero. It offers a quite attractive package in a small form factor for a reasonable price.
Has anyone of you already tried it and can give some thoughts about it (and maybe compare it to similar priced devices like the POD 500X)?

Not sure if you've tried it or not but getting an IR loader pedal like the Hotone CAB or Mooer Radar work wonders for older modeling pedals. I use one with a Pod X3 and it really does breathe new life into the amp sims. I also tried it with a Boss GT-1 and it sounds so much better than the stock cab sims.
I've never tried it with a Zoom pedal but it might be worth trying out before dropping a ton of cash on a Helix or even the Hotone.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
Not sure if you've tried it or not but getting an IR loader pedal like the Hotone CAB or Mooer Radar work wonders for older modeling pedals. I use one with a Pod X3 and it really does breathe new life into the amp sims. I also tried it with a Boss GT-1 and it sounds so much better than the stock cab sims.
I've never tried it with a Zoom pedal but it might be worth trying out before dropping a ton of cash on a Helix or even the Hotone.

^This.

For sheets and giggles, I tried using the old L6 PodFarm Marshall sims with some new Celestion IRs and was not entirely unimpressed.

Really does seem as though the cab sim end of things is like 90% of a good digital tone.

Eumldeuml

Reaction score

That's what I also considered but the problem is that on my Zoom there's already one of the four displays broken (my fault, I dropped something on it) but now the second display started to show some weird artifacts. This is the reason why I wanted to upgrade to another unit.

For sheets and giggles, I tried using the old L6 PodFarm Marshall sims with some new Celestion IRs and was not entirely unimpressed.
Really does seem as though the cab sim end of things is like 90% of a good digital tone.
When I used my Zoom over headphones or HiFi speakers, it sounds terrible. But plugged into a small combo amp the sound improves drastically. But for live gigs this isn't really an option since I mostly play into the PA directly

')