Thoughts on bass string for multiscale?

• Thread starter crushingpetal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been using the Dingwall 5 nickel strings for an Ibanez BTB605MS and am mostly happy. Not able to leave good-enough alone, I'm curious about either the Dingwall 5 stainless steel or the NYXL set for 37" basses.

Anyone have experience with either of these? How much tension will I lose if I go to the stainless steel set, and is the extra brightness worth it (in your opinion)?

Thanks for any help you have!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've used Dingwall stainless and nickels, some nickel DR's for my NG 4 string (I forget the set, Blues something?), some regular extra long D'Addarios and Payson nickel or stainless.

I prefer Payson first then Dingwall strings. Payson has a good range of gauge options and I've been very satisfied with their strings and customer service. They usually ship pretty fast too.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've noticed any extra long strings I've tried that were not multi scale sets seemed a lot stiffer, but not in a good way. It's like they're kind of hard... I didn't care for it all.

I have Paysons on all of my Dingwalls aside from the Dbird. That has D'Addario nickels on it but only because the guy I bought it from gave me a bunch sets with the bass.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've used Dingwall stainless and nickels,
Did you notice much difference between the sets? Tension difference? Was the stainless steel much brighter?

Word on the Payson. Since I was mostly happy with the Dingwall set I haven't tried them yet, but maybe I should.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Did you notice much difference between the sets? Tension difference? Was the stainless steel much brighter?

Word on the Payson. Since I was mostly happy with the Dingwall set I haven't tried them yet, but maybe I should.
I honestly don't recall there being much of a tension difference. To my ears, the Dingwall stainless strings could get more of the djenty/Nolly kind of tone compared to the nickels. I wasn't expecting that but that works too!

I think if you like Dingwall strings you'd dig the Paysons.

What tunings do you use?

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I honestly don't recall there being much of a tension difference. To my ears, the Dingwall stainless strings could get more of the djenty/Nolly kind of tone compared to the nickels. I wasn't expecting that but that works too!

I think if you like Dingwall strings you'd dig the Paysons.

What tunings do you use?
Thanks! I think I'll try the ss Dingwalls, then maybe the Paysons.

Tuning is A standard on the 37--35" BTB.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Normally I'd be more adventurous, but with bass strings at $40 a pop I try to be smart about it!

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I'll try the ss Dingwalls, then maybe the Paysons.

Tuning is A standard on the 37--35" BTB.
Those BTB's are sick, the demos I've heard sound great. If that was available when I started buying Dingwalls I would have tried it! I wish they'd do a Soundgear that was 34-37", seems like a no brainer.

I checked and I do have stainless Dingwall strings on my Combustion 5, tuned to drop A. That bass seems to be happiest tuned there with those strings, I didn't care for them tuned lower.

My NG3 5 has Payson nickels and I like those for drop G down to drop E. They're not very tight for drop E but it works well for me. I did just get some Payson stainless strings with a 145 low B, so we'll see if that's any better for drop E.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Normally I'd be more adventurous, but with bass strings at $40 a pop I try to be smart about it!
I hear ya! Bass strings are always frickin expensive, even for 4 stringers... Last band I gigged with I had two main basses and went through a lot of strings because we did 3-4 hour sets every weekend. That wore them out pretty fast lol

Blues Cat

Reaction score
I've used Dingwall stainless and nickels, some nickel DR's for my NG 4 string (I forget the set, Blues something?), some regular extra long D'Addarios and Payson nickel or stainless.

I prefer Payson first then Dingwall strings. Payson has a good range of gauge options and I've been very satisfied with their strings and customer service. They usually ship pretty fast too.
Not sure if you’ve seen our new DROP G of F# sets for Dingwalls, BTB’s and Dimension basses. https://www.paysonbass.com/store/p1...or-Ibanez-Fanned-Fret-Multi-Scale-Basses.html

')