Thoughts on Blackstar?

• Thread starter IdentityDevice
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IdentityDevice

Reaction score
Have a 4x12. Thinking about selling it to get a 2x12. Like the idea of the emulated output/speaker sim on the blackstars. Want a versatile amp. clean to super heavy and all the in between....you know. I like a lot of stuff and the HT and the S1 series' seem pretty cool. Anybody have experience with them? Thoughts? thanks :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ftr

Reaction score
the tvp series. alot of blackstars are pretty versatile. but with the tvp series you can choose what tube sounds you want. so they are pretty much the most versatile amp blackstar makes.

HateTank

Reaction score
I have a HT-Club 50 and I am pretty happy with it. It's pretty versatile. I can do clean, Classic Rock, or pretty heavy tones. You can always put an overdrive in front if you want more growl. I run it with a 4 x 12 cab and it's plenty loud enough in any setting. I even use the emulated out of the amp in to a combo amp for my drummer during shows. A Fender Super 60 1 x 12 combo and its perfect for that use. I just sit it right behind him and he can even adjust the volume if need be.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I had an HT-20. It was solid. Not really mind blowing in any one area, and honestly as much as I hate to admit it, I could tell the distortion channel was not 100% tube. Still, sounded good and had nice cleans. I really wish i'd gotten the HT-40 as it has a tighter gain voicing available. Changing the tube for each channel on the HT stuff definitely can change the tone a bit too.

The series one stuff has sounded great whenever i've tried it at our local music store - no real experience with it though. Also, Frederick Akesson of Opeth has killer tone live with his.

IdentityDevice

Reaction score
Yeah I did love his tone on the rig rundown he did but also noticed that he switched back to Marshall. Thanks for the input fella's!

AxeArchangel

Reaction score
I have the Blackstar HT Stage 100. It's a very versatile, loud, clean amp. The ISF knob is awesome. Very helpful if you want that british/american or a bit of both tone. It takes pedals really well if you're into that too. I get really good compliments about my tone every time I do a show. It cuts through the mix so well. Love Blackstar!

jonsick

Reaction score
I have the HT60 and it's a great little amp. It's a little retired now, but I'll keep it around.

I'm more into my Marshalls really.

FifthCircleSquared

Threadender
Reaction score
What are you looking to get for a sound out of it?

I have the Ht-40 with Mullard RI tubes and an Eminence CV-75 in it that's been out on loan since I got a mini-Mark V. It does have a "modern" switch on the gain channel that will get you into metal territory.

If you get one, I highly suggest getting a decent tubescreamer. The amp seems to respond to tubescreamers better that overdrives for getting a tight sound.

The HT-40 was my first tube amp. It's a great amp, but I wouldn't say it's the best for extreme metal. Good for everything but, however! I love it for old school metal, and classic rock. That being said, I could get some hella metal tones out of it with pedals.

In summary, the HT-40 is a great versatile amp. However, if you are looking for something more all around metal, you may want to consider waiting for the new 6505MH that's in the same price range.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I have a Series One 45. I was playing though a 120 watt Egnater Vengeance with a 4x12, but this thing doesn't kill my back and sounds way better. I've tried Mesa's, Peavey's, EVH, Orange, Carvin, Egnater but I always end up liking the blackstar best. With EL-34's and a tube screamer, it hits my tonal sweet-spot.

Simiot

Reaction score
Hey there!

I saw some videos with de HT Club 50 Head and I really like it! I love its tone and colour distortion! So I'm thinking of getting one... But I fear that the lead channel isn't as lead as would. I want it to play metal, and I tune in Drop A.... What do you think??

charlessalvacion

Reaction score
I had the Blackstar TVP60212. Thats one versatile amp. If your going with the HT series, I think you need a tubescreamer for some extreme metal.

flaherz09

Reaction score
I've had both. The HT series is the best bang for your buck amps out there. The S1 series (I have the 1046L6 now) is the most versatile amp I've played, bar none. It can get you any tone you'd ever want.

RustInPeace

Reaction score
Once owned the infamous HT-5. Played an outdoor gig with it through a 1x12! Traded it along with a marshall jvm for a Mark V. I thought it was pretty decent for only 5 watts, although the distortion sounded a bit digital to my ears (which is the case, btw). I remember trying a series one 200 and being blown away by the versatility of it. Every channel had a good tone you could dial in within seconds. I just have no use for huge 200W amps anymore!

Zado

Reaction score
and honestly as much as I hate to admit it, I could tell the distortion channel was not 100% tube

on the HT series it's something you definitely hear when you are on gainy voices and you gain knob is set quite high,but the HT Metal series behaves way better on those territories imho

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
A Stage 60 is my go-to amp when I need to demo a guitar for a customer, or if I just feel like wanking a bit during downtime. If I had to get a proper amp again....well, it would be a JVM, but Blackstar would be close behind.

lewis

Reaction score
Love the company to bits

Owned the ID100 which was awesome but I upgraded and atm only own the Fly Stereo now BUT Ive dealt in depth with the Blackstar guys when I owned the ID100. Had a few minor problems with waiting for postage on replacement parts from GAK.

I played Bloodstock Festival and was using the ID100 live so needed these problems with awaiting for delivery. I contacted the Blackstar guys and they were brilliant. Offered to loan me any of the equipment I needed and was waiting for If it didnt arrive in time and also invited me to join them at their Bloodstock Festival Blackstar HQ when I was there. Customer service to an unreal standard and they are all lovely down to earth blokes.

Love the company and If I was in the market for a new tube amp it would be Blackstar Series one all day long.

')