Thoughts on graph tech bridges and nuts?

• Thread starter artmachine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

artmachine

Reaction score
I break strings too often and have tried a few different routes, but haven't had any signifcant improvement. I'm also looking to upgrade my bridges and nuts for at least two of my guitars since they both have stock bridges/nuts(one Gibson, one xaviere). Looking for both longer string life and better tone/sustain. Graphite saddles seem to be the way to go for me, so any opinions on graph tech stuff would be great. They sell a kit or something with both a bridge and nut for like $65. Thanks a lot!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skoatdestroy

Reaction score
i had a bridge set installed on my schecter solo 6 atx that would keep breaking strings on me while i was playing out and i havent broken a string on that guitar since. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!

MikeSap

formerly mikeyENGL
Reaction score
I do notice a bit of improvement with my graphtech nut. Had them installed on 3 of my guitars. But i wasn't a fan of the saddles. I actually managed to break 3 of them during regular play. A few of my friends did too. I use a hipshot bridge now and haven't had any problems/complaints since installing.

artmachine

Reaction score
Thanks guys! A few more opinions would be great since I have one for and one kind of against right now.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I've used Graphtech nuts and saddles. Honestly, having tried a pro-installed bone nut on my last strat, I think I still prefer Graphtech nuts

The Saddles I'm kinda meh on. They work nice for tuning stability & decreasing string breakage but I prefer the tone of traditional bent steel saddles (if on a strat with single-coils and a traditional or two-point trem). For hardtails I prefer both the tone and feel underhand of Graphtech saddles.

slowro

Drunken Scot
Reaction score
I would check there isn't any rough edges on the saddles you have
I can't say anything about graph tech but it could save you some money if all it needed was a rub down to take the edge off it

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think Graphtech products are excellent, I've been using and recommending them to my customers for years. :yesway:

Reaction score
They work. That's all there is to it. Their nuts/saddles are perfect for making a low range guitar as good as high range for less then half the cost.

artmachine

Reaction score
I would check there isn't any rough edges on the saddles you have
I can't say anything about graph tech but it could save you some money if all it needed was a rub down to take the edge off it

I've already sanded down the saddles on both of these guitars and I use some graphite from a pencil each time I change my strings. It seems to help slightly and on the xaviere it seems to help more than the gibson, but either way, I'm also looking to upgrade both the bridges and nuts on these guitars, particularly the xaviere. I think I might pull the trigger on at least one graph tech bridge/nut set. Any experiences with roller bridges for increased string longevity?

Mordacain

Reaction score
I've already sanded down the saddles on both of these guitars and I use some graphite from a pencil each time I change my strings. It seems to help slightly and on the xaviere it seems to help more than the gibson, but either way, I'm also looking to upgrade both the bridges and nuts on these guitars, particularly the xaviere. I think I might pull the trigger on at least one graph tech bridge/nut set. Any experiences with roller bridges for increased string longevity?

Honestly not a fan of roller bridges. I never break strings so I can't really comment on string longevity, but the various roller saddles I've tried were all very light metals (even if the roller itself were steel) and dulled the tone quite a bit.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I love graphtech nuts, but IMO the saddles are tone suckers.

wakjob

Reaction score
I've used Graphtech nuts and saddles. Honestly, having tried a pro-installed bone nut on my last strat, I think I still prefer Graphtech nuts

The Saddles I'm kinda meh on. They work nice for tuning stability & decreasing string breakage but I prefer the tone of traditional bent steel saddles (if on a strat with single-coils and a traditional or two-point trem). For hardtails I prefer both the tone and feel underhand of Graphtech saddles.

Same here. I've had the G.T. saddles on my main strat since 96' along with a graphite nut. NEVER broke a string. But I wanted my old tone back. Since switching back to Marshall amps, the plain strings just weren't sounding quite right to my ears.

Bought some Fender bent saddles and installed them last week. The guitar is more powerful and steely (duh) sounding now. The neck is long over do for a refret, so I'm going to have a bone nut installed as well.

A lot of people mix graphite and brass/steel also. Metal ones for the lower strings and tusq/graphite for the higher. There are no rules for this either. Mix and match away!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to have to echo what the majority of folks have already said: the nuts are awesome, the saddles I could take or leave.

artmachine

Reaction score
Thanks a ton for all the replies! I'm still considering both graph tech nuts and bridges, but at least the nuts. Any recommendations for tune-o-matic style bridges that genuinely reduce string breakage, but also have a nice tone?

Mordacain

Reaction score
Thanks a ton for all the replies! I'm still considering both graph tech nuts and bridges, but at least the nuts. Any recommendations for tune-o-matic style bridges that genuinely reduce string breakage, but also have a nice tone?

Oh, I must have missed the mention of the bridge style. I assumed you were asking about the Strat-style saddles.

I seriously doubt you would notice much (if any) tone difference with the string-saver TOM saddles. They are a much smaller amount of metal to lose than on a Strat and contribute much less to the tone you hear.

Actually, I've used roller bridges on a TOM and I prefer the Graphtech SS saddles on the TOM, so I'd recommend those.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
To the people who have used the nuts: Are they progressively cut (string spacing measured from the edges of the strings rather than the center, supposedly makes for a less "crowded" bass side)? I've been wanting to try something like this eventually, but it looks like the Graphtech nuts are evenly spaced. Some people seem to think it makes all the difference in the world for the feel of the guitar, some think it feels no different and some only think it makes the string spacing look more balanced.

...also wanting to know about their Wilkinson saddles, but I don't suppose any of you have much experience with those?

GraphTechGuitar

Reaction score
Many players use our TUSQ XL nuts for the tone and permanent lubrication benefits. The nut usually help a lot with tuning stability, however, string breakage is more of a saddle problem.

Graph Tech String Saver saddles have a wider, yet flatter frequency response compared to steel. So although there is more treble content apparent, there isn't a boost at the 2Khz range some players like (many hate).

But tone is entirely subjective, so if you prefer steel saddle sound..........then it is the obvious choice.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Camer138

Reaction score
I have a Carvin that came with the standard steel saddles. I was breaking strings far to often, the breakage was always at the bridge. I got Graph Tech saddles and couldn't be happier. Tuning stability is way better and I have yet to break a string and its been a long time since installation too. The tone change is noticeable, but my amp picks up every change. The tone is a bit warmer and more organic feeling. Not better or worse, just different. I found I had to turn up my presence and treble a bit to maintain the tightness in the low end that I lost with steel saddles

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I also didn't realize this was a TOM. As said the TOM saddles will alter tone a lot less than Strat style. I would try them and the nut and your problem should go away.

artmachine

Reaction score
Thanks a lot y'all! I just got paid, so I think I'm going to pull a trigger on a set or two of these.

')