Thoughts on Mastodon??

• Thread starter beanriffs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Old Masto= one of my favorite bands

Call of the Mastodon, Remission, Leviathan = :hbang:

Blood Mountain had cool songs, Didn't give Crack the Skye a whole lot of time and haven't listened to The Hunter yet.

My top 5 songs are Deep Sea Creature, Hearts Alive, Where Strides the Behemoth, Mother Puncher and This Moral Soil

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
Ah yes, blood and thunder...

Brilliant band, crack the skye was awesome even though a bit to proggy for me.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Awesome band They haven't released anything I haven't enjoyed. if you don't own Leviathan, you need to.

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
I like them a lot and absolutely love them live.

cronux

Reaction score
never liked them, saw them once live though. they were backing up Slayer and Gojira and had the worst live sound I've heard in a while...

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
never liked them, saw them once live though. they were backing up Slayer and Gojira and had the worst live sound I've heard in a while...

Just shows how much a sound guy can change things. The sound was ridiculously good when I saw them with Opeth on that Heritage/Hunter tour.

x360rampagex

Reaction score
Started listening to them when the hunter came out, now they are one of my favourites.

Infact Imma listen to em right now!

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
Awesome band They haven't released anything I haven't enjoyed. if you don't own Leviathan, you need to.

It's weird, I could never really get into their earlier stuff. Listened to a few tracks off Leviathan and didn't particularly like it.

Then The Hunter came out and I instantly fell in love with it. The Sparrow is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard from what is, in theory, a metal band. Just wonderful. Maybe I just haven't listened to the old stuff enough yet... The Hunter instantly won me over though, definitely in my top 5 of last year's new albums.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Really like the way they attempt to do something different with each album, and challenge themselves to write in different way, it's the sign of a band that takes real pride in their artistic ability to do this. They have lots of great tracks, both epic and rocking, and are a superbly talented and disparate group of people, their styles all meld together to be greater than the sum of their very talented parts, superb!

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Love them, one of my favourite bands. Saw them live a while back, and while I'd heard mixed reports of their live standard, they were amazing.

tm20

Reaction score
i was impressed by their early songs so i decided to go buy The Hunter.....was amazed :D also got to see them at Soundwave this year. definitely a great band.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Fantastic band, amazing albums, great diversity and really cool guys too.
Seen them live a couple of times and since they have sobered up a little they improved a shitload, not that they were bad the first time I saw them but it obviously has an effect.
Brent gave me a drunk manhug the first time I saw them after I told them how awesome the show was, and on the crack the skye tour I had an awesome chat with Bill

kris_jammage

Reaction score
Can honestly say I love every album they have put out but they can be a bit of a risk live, in that they seem to suffer alot with bad sound. 3 out of the 5 times I've seen them the sound has been terrible. But that doesnt take away form the fact that they can crush your soul with just one riff!

:hbang:

rjnix_0329

Reaction score
I have nothing bad to say about Mastodon. Crack the Skye is one of my top 5 favorite albums ever written, and I have seen them live four times. Not only was the sound pristine all four times, but their shows seem to be getting better and better. I heard them perform every song from Crack the Skye on three of those tours, and it was a special experience each time.

Really chill guys too, from what I've seen.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Pre-Mastodon - Bill Kelliher and Brann Dailor playing in Today Is The Day - amazing
Remission - unbelieveably good, saw them tour this in front of 40 people, it was incredible.
Leviathan - massively over rated record, almost killed my interest in the band
Blood Mountain - definite signs of improvement over 2nd album
Crack the Skye - very fine record indeed
The Hunter - also a very fine record

I have seen Mastodon on tour after each record apart from "The Hunter" and other than the Leviathan show they were somewhere between very, very good and awesome.

One of the things I like about Mastodon is the things they do outside of their albums, "Deathbound" for example is a marvellous song.

beanriffs

Reaction score
As you guys have said and I believe to that Remission, Leviathan and Blood Mountain were more about the extreme side of their genre known as 'Sludge Metal'. But on Crack The Skye and The Hunter, they have somehow managed to evolve into a Classic Rock sound, they have gotten a lot slower over the years, their production style has completely changed since their first three albums and I personally thought that they have improved too. :hbang:

Latest posts

')