Thoughts on Mastodon??

• Thread starter beanriffs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
Pre-Mastodon - Bill Kelliher and Brann Dailor playing in Today Is The Day - amazing
Remission - unbelieveably good, saw them tour this in front of 40 people, it was incredible.
Leviathan - massively over rated record, almost killed my interest in the band
Blood Mountain - definite signs of improvement over 2nd album
Crack the Skye - very fine record indeed
The Hunter - also a very fine record

pretty much agree with this. Don't think Leviathan is that overrated, it's a great album, but probably my least favorite.

I'd rank them Remission, Blood Mountain, Crack the Skye, Leviathan, The Hunter probably - though I enjoy all of them.

Weaker Mastodon albums are still better than 90 percent of other metal albums coming out over the last decade.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great music, great sound, great dudes (minus when Brent ties a few too many on, but it looks like that's in the past now).

While I certainly enjoy every one of thier releases I can see why folks who like bands who stick to same musical formula each album might not dig certain albums.

bhakan

Reaction score
Makes me sad that there is only one album like Crack the Skye in the world :(
This. While I think it's cool that they keep changing their sound, and all of their albums are great, Crack The Skye is still my favorite. I really hope that they eventually decide to do another proggy album.

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
I love every album they've made but I feel like they've been getting better with each album up to Crack The Skye. I felt The Hunter was about as good but not better than Crack The Skye.

Loved both though.

rifft

Reaction score
Mastodon's a great band. Saw them live on the Hunter/Heritage tour; they were really tight and sounded great. Couldn't stop listening to The Hunter for about a month after that. Crack the Skye and The Hunter are my favorite two albums from them.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Started listening to them when Crack the Skye came out and was absolutely floored, just the first 20 seconds of The Last Baron convinced me that I needed ASAP. Still one of my favourite albums. After that I looked back at Blood Mountain and Leviathan and loved them even more, though it took some getting used to and I don't own Leviathan yet. Absolutely love the Hunter, too.

You could probably gather that I like them a lot judging by my forum name, too. :lol:

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Love em'.

Crack The Skye is up there with The Wall, SFAM and Operation: Mindcrime for me. Amazing album. Didn't think they'd be able to top it, but I actually like The Hunter more.

I'm not a huge fan of their first couple albums, they're great albums, I just like the more melodic stuff.

Saw them with Dethklok in Boston, they did CTS in it's entirety....fucking killer. Brent's vox are hit or miss live. Saw them again with Deftones and AIC and they were great again, but seemed tired.

Met everyone but Brent at NAMM. Troy and I were on the same smoking schedule so I shot the shit with him for a bit in the smoking area. Brann was hanging out by the Ibanez booth and after my girl and I felt like we were taking up his time I said, "I'm sure you've got plenty of things to be doing now...." and he just said, "Nah man, I'm just hangin'." and kept right on talking to us for a while.

And he's a fuckin' riot!

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
One of my favorite bands, seen them live.

Not huge on the Hunter, but whatever, I think most people are thankful it's listenable. :shrug:

beanriffs

Reaction score
This. While I think it's cool that they keep changing their sound, and all of their albums are great, Crack The Skye is still my favorite. I really hope that they eventually decide to do another proggy album.
I really wish they do as well because I honestly think that Crack The Skye is their best record of all time, The Hunter was good too but Crack The Skye :hbang: was fucking awesome, Leviathan and Remission were really good too, Bloud Mountain was ok but I don't think I have paid enough attention to that album though.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
one of my favs for the last 10 years

vocals live can be hit or miss, but the overall live sound has been good the 4 or 5 times I've seen them.

one of the best drummers in heavy rock/metal

isispelican

Reaction score
i seriously consider Crack the Skye as one of the best music albums ever in general

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
Brilliant band. All there stuff (especially remission) up until Crack the Skye is top notch. Crack The Skye and The Hunter are weak to me, but I still give CTS a few listens. The Hunter was disappointing to me

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
I must add to my earlier comment (where I talked about them becoming better with every album) and say I don't really get people talking about their new stuff as if it's "classic rock".

I get that they have influences from there but saying Crack the Sky or The Hunter are "classic rock" records is kind of like saying Option Paralysis is an old school punk album. The influence is there but it's not in the same ballpark for me.

Latest posts

')