Thoughts on RG Iron Label 7 Strings fixed bridge?

Ale

Reaction score
Does any of you own ths guitar?
I mean the RGIR27FE-BK
I own a Music Man JP7 tuned in drop Ab but I need a second axe in B standard, and I saw this one, good price and is loaded with EMG 707... but i really can't get over the Gibraltar bridge, never tried it... So I'm asking here some opinions. And by the way I am left handed so choice is very restricted for me.
No Schecter, only the KM7 inspire me but is way too out of budget.
thanks guys!

large_4898.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stuglue

Reaction score
Hey my lefty brotha, bizarre confidence but I'm left handed and have that exact guitar.
I really dig the Gibraltar bridge, it's a breeze to palm mute on.
My only complaint is the awful EMG 707 pickups which I did not gel with. At all.
They came out and in went a DiMarzio D Activator neck in the bridge and an illuminator neck in the neck position. The guitar is currently with my luthier as he's routing the middle to install a single coil so it'll be HSH configuration.
I'm thinking of selling it and I'm in the UK so if you're interested PM me.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
The new Gibraltar II's fixed a problem with the old version where the shoulder was high, making palm muting a bit difficult - I have the 8 string S Iron Label and it feels great honestly, totally smooth.

Iron Label quality can be hit or miss, but honestly I've only played the good ones. The fretboards look real clean, the fretwork can be eh on some frets, but if you put some work into it obviously it can be a great guitar for the money. Try to scoop one used, it'll likely be a great deal.

Ale

Reaction score
Hey my lefty brotha, bizarre confidence but I'm left handed and have that exact guitar.
I really dig the Gibraltar bridge, it's a breeze to palm mute on.
My only complaint is the awful EMG 707 pickups which I did not gel with. At all.
They came out and in went a DiMarzio D Activator neck in the bridge and an illuminator neck in the neck position. The guitar is currently with my luthier as he's routing the middle to install a single coil so it'll be HSH configuration.
I'm thinking of selling it and I'm in the UK so if you're interested PM me.

Thank you. Honestly I thought EMG were good.. I mean dpends on what you're searching as sound. I will have to do technical death proggy metal with that, but you know I have BKP onthe JP and it's hard to go over it! XD

The new Gibraltar II's fixed a problem with the old version where the shoulder was high, making palm muting a bit difficult - I have the 8 string S Iron Label and it feels great honestly, totally smooth.

Iron Label quality can be hit or miss, but honestly I've only played the good ones. The fretboards look real clean, the fretwork can be eh on some frets, but if you put some work into it obviously it can be a great guitar for the money. Try to scoop one used, it'll likely be a great deal.

well this quite relaxes me cuz my main worry was the gibraltar.
Price is around 500€ for a new, quite interesting. you too had emg on your S?

Blkls

Reaction score
I love that bridge, I have an RG8 and I'm thinking about swapping my bridge out for it.

GRIZ

djentleman
Reaction score
I love the Gibraltar bridges. That is the same one they use on my prestge s5528. Super good.

stuglue

Reaction score
Thank you. Honestly I thought EMG were good.. I mean dpends on what you're searching as sound. I will have to do technical death proggy metal with that, but you know I have BKP onthe JP and it's hard to go over it! XD

well this quite relaxes me cuz my main worry was the gibraltar.
Price is around 500€ for a new, quite interesting. you too had emg on your S?

I found the EMG way too hot and couldn't get to sit in a mix.

inp4ct

Reaction score
But, if you want to spend like 150,- more, you can get a RGIR27E which has a tremolo bridge and string locks... i am actually getting one

Vrollin

Reaction score
Both old and new gibraltars are comfy as all hell, get on board mate youll love it!

btbg

Reaction score
But, if you want to spend like 150,- more, you can get a RGIR27E which has a tremolo bridge and string locks... i am actually getting one

I'm going to assume by the op that he doesn't want a tremolo.

Ale

Reaction score
Well the thing got a pretty annoying due to my leftysm.
So in the end I decided in purchasing a 6 string Ibanez cause it was way too tempting, and I am talking about this:

RG721RWL_CNF_1P_01.png

So skipped the iron label and the gibraltar.
I needed a B tuning just for a gig next week, the 27th March, so my plan was to buy this beauty, tune it B then after the gig tune it drop C.
Ordered, seemed that everything was ok, I had already payed the guitar and was just waiting for it, but just today the shopkeeper called me and told me Mogar, the italian Ibanez dealer sent him the right handed version and that they don't have the left handed one anymore. So now I will be refunded but there is a very bad lack of professionalism by the dealer. I even wrote to Ibanez today, even if they say the mail is only for US people, I don't care, I am sick of this way they treat the lefties, we can choose only entry level guitars, (and better hope you like black) or the Steve Vai JEM, that goes around 2,400€, or other few models but believe me, NOTHING compared to the choice in woods, colors, techs the right handed players have.
In 2015 this is not possible anymore. Sorry for the whine moment.
I will search even here in the market if someone is sellin some good 6 string.

anyway thank you for all the opinions on the new gibraltar and the EMGs 707, that really are helpful, cause most of the times I buy guitars without even playin them, I have to read all the things people write about the model and trust. This place is very helpful for me, so thank you!

RoyceIsNotMyName

Reaction score
It is a bit lower profile than most. It sits a bit life a floyd, closer to the body. It's pretty comfy, but I haven't used the lefty version, and I don't actually own one. I have played with one enough to say confidently that it's a pretty good bridge, but I don't know how it affects the guitar on a tonal level.

stuglue

Reaction score
I was very lucky with my timing, I jumped on the Ibanez rg721rwl-cnf, the one pictured, late last year and got one of only a handful to come into the UK.
I won't be parting with it as it's a great guitar, the neck profile feels good and with a proper setup plays great.
I've replaced the stock pickups with a set of burnt chrome Lace Finger Burners.
I still have the lefty iron label for sale, if you're interested PM me as I'm in the UK and will ship to Italy.

weirdoku

Reaction score
Gibraltar I bridges suck cos of the high shoulders. I had the first RGIR27FEs, I scrapped that body and replaced it with an ash body routed with a hipshot fixed bridge.

Gibraltar II bridges are way better though.

DarrellM5

Reaction score
I have a RGIR27FE in black as well. I love it. The 707's sound awesome through my POD HD500X with an Ola England patch running into a Line 6 DT25 amp.

I spend about equal time playing the Ibanez and a KM-7. Love 'em both.

Latest posts

')