Thoughts on the Agile Interceptor? thinking about getting one

• Thread starter mnemonic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
i am left handed, so i dont have many options as far as seven's go, so i was thinking about getting the agile interceptor.

from what i have heard, they are pretty good guitars, but i have heard that sometimes they have high action, and thick necks. the thick neck part doesn't really bother me much, i've played gibsons with thick necks, and apart from the crappy setups and gloss necks, the thickness never bothered me. the high action part does kinda bother me tho, i like really low action with as little buzz as possible.

i'm sure some people here have one. what do you think of it?

also, if anyone can think of other alternatives to this guitar which are better, and under $500 (i'm in college, strictly 500 and under) and left handed, please say so! haha.

i am mainly looking for a really big sounding seven with a nice chuggy tone, while not muddy. think nevermore's tone on "in memory" and "The politics of ecstasy." (i know they used all mahogany sevens with emg's but they also used mesa mark iv's, and i dont have one of those, haha)

i'm trying to stay away from djent as much as possible. as cool as it sounds, and as much as i love listening to bulbs stuff, i really dont like it in my own tone.

the schecter blackjack looks really nice, and i'd like get one, but i dunno if i could find one for under 500. i could get an 007 for 500, but thats all mahogany, and i dont want a really muddy guitar, its also a 25.5" scale, which i've heard makes the low B sound kinda muddy? i dunno.

also, i'm playing thorough a vox ad30vt with an overdrive infront of it. (sounds alot tighter and defined with the OD, i really dig this amp)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
They didnt use any sevens on those nevermore albums. I believe Jeff used an ibanez 6 at that point. The hellraiser or blackjack is a good choice. If you want passives, go with the blackjack. If you are an EMG guy, Hellraiser is t3h shit!

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, he used a Ibanez JPM before the 7's, if i recall.

The action thing shouldnt be an issue. you can adjust action on guitars.
The agile necks are a bit thicker, but they're on par with quality of RG7321's. If you can spend a bit more, a Schecter is a great option.

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
The interceptor is pretty cool. I haven't played one, but they get good enough reviews here.

The quality seems to be boarder line hit or miss though. Which I guess is to be expected with the size of RondoMusic.

In your price range, i'd get the Schecter C7-FR (Because im a trem guy)

www.drumcityguitarland.com sells them for $539. If you're not a trem guy, then i'd go for the hellraiser.

This is of course keeping your budget in mind. Looking past that, I recommend Carvin. :)

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
yeah, the hellraiser doesn't come left handed tho :(

also, how does a mahogany neck and body effect the tone?

also, i'm left handed.

i was thinking about getting a carvin, but i dont have that kind of cash.

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
1918.jpg

bazguitarman

Half assed at best
Reaction score
Tennessee, home of hillbillies and halfstacks.
Why not try a Schecter Damian 7-string? I know the EMG hz`s aren`t 100% what the actives are, but it would be a easy swap later since the guitar is already set up for EMG`s. The Damian is basswood which works really well for 7-strings and it has the killer looking bat inlays. I think they are a great model when looking to mod in the future. I also don`t think the pups will be a big deal through your smaller amp. When you get ready just drp a couple of 707`s in it and you are ready to step to the next level.

And the big thing. The Damian is well within your price range.

Eric

damien7_sbk.jpg

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
The quality seems to be boarder line hit or miss though. Which I guess is to be expected with the size of RondoMusic.

their service is really good though, so if you get a fucked up one, they take care of you./

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
[g]http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/inventory/images/1918.jpg[/img]

o wow, their site says they dont make them left handed.

Why not try a Schecter Damian 7-string? I know the EMG hz`s aren`t 100% what the actives are, but it would be a easy swap later since the guitar is already set up for EMG`s. The Damian is basswood which works really well for 7-strings and it has the killer looking bat inlays. I think they are a great model when looking to mod in the future. I also don`t think the pups will be a big deal through your smaller amp. When you get ready just drp a couple of 707`s in it and you are ready to step to the next level.

And the big thing. The Damian is well within your price range.

Eric

i'll have to look those up, damn my 56k at home

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
Go with a c7 blackjack or RG7321 or the new S7320 ...hum...hum... very tempting...sleek shape coupled with mahogany ...it's so hard to decide .

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
anybody know about mahogany necks and bodies tho?

one thing i hate is mud

i really dig that satin black, no more fingerprints...

and those emgs look pretty cool too, and its alredy routed for emg's so i can pop in a 707 when i get the cash....

no left handed version according to hteir site tho, unless its just not listed like the hellraiser? (unless the lefty hellraiser is discontinued)

edit- wow doubleposts are automerged here, i like that, haha

bazguitarman

Half assed at best
Reaction score
Tennessee, home of hillbillies and halfstacks.
i'll have to look those up, damn my 56k at home

Don`t feel bad. I`m on dial up also. I have no high speed available in my area.

I just checked and the going price for the Damian 7 is $399.99. That`s through the big catalog guys so you should be able to get it even cheaper through a local dealer. That would leave you enough money to buy a good HSC to protect it.

If it`s available left handed.

Also check on the Ibanez RG7321. I really like mine, but don`t know if they are available left handed either.

Good luck,

Eric

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
yeah, ibanez isn't very lefty friendly, every once in a while theres a left handed seven from a different country on ebay, but to my knowledge, there aren't any lefty sevens being made right now.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
so i think its between the schecter 007 elite (because i found one!) and the agile interceptor.

007_elite_bch.jpg

both about hte same price, give or take a couple bucks. id jump on the schecter right away, but hte mahogany neck is worrying me :/

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
no lefty agile neck thru tho.

i hope they make one tho, haha

ok, dinner time, back in a bit

so no opinions on all mahogany sevens?

B Lopez

Vescere bracis meis.
Reaction score
I love my all mahogany (neck-thru) 7. Its loaded with the EMG 81-7/707 and it growls real nice. Want clips? Or have specific ?'s

Latest posts

')