Thoughts on the Music Man Majesty?

• Thread starter Maniacal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Do any of you own a Majesty?

If so, what do you think of it?

I am looking for a guitar with great high fret access and so far this seems to offer the most.

Is it worth the £2400+ price tag?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daeniel

7string n00b!
Reaction score
Never tried one, but if you're looking for great high fret access have you considered a Parker Fly altready? Mine plays like butter :)

Maniacal

Reaction score
I have been looking at those actually. Right now it is a choice between a Majesty, Parker Fly or some kind of custom.

Which Parker Fly do you recommend? I don't really know anything about them.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
IMO, they aren't the best guitars. I went to guitar center when they had just recieved their first one. Their tech (a very good tech and refinisher) was setting it up. Here is a list of the flaws I noticed:

There were several small bumps in the finish (2-4).

Glue was pooled around the frets. I'm not sure if Music Man uses glue for their frets so it may have been something else.

The Majesty inlay was the cheapest looking thing ever. This big, glossy block placed in a much more dull ebony board. It was retaining finger prints and looked like really out of place.

It had arrived with a busted pot.

I wouldn't have bought it. I'm also not a big fan of the design. :shrug:

mikah912

Reaction score
IMO, they aren't the best guitars. I went to guitar center when they had just recieved their first one. Their tech (a very good tech and refinisher) was setting it up. Here is a list of the flaws I noticed:

There were several small bumps in the finish (2-4).

Glue was pooled around the frets. I'm not sure if Music Man uses glue for their frets so it may have been something else.

The Majesty inlay was the cheapest looking thing ever. This big, glossy block placed in a much more dull ebony board. It was retaining finger prints and looked like really out of place.

It had arrived with a busted pot.

I wouldn't have bought it. I'm also not a big fan of the design. :shrug:

I had the same impressions when I saw one in person at a local GC. That 1st fret inlay is ATROCIOUSLY cheap looking. Like a sticker, basically. Also, the finish (this was one of the blue ones) made it look cheap and toy like.

Flyingvb

Reaction score
Honestly after having owned both a JP6 and a JP7 for 3 years, I expected good things. I saw one at my local guitar center and tried it. I'm not a fan of the design but it's whatever floats your boat. As for the sound, playability etc. it plays nice, sounds great, good craftmanship but it just feels like it's "thin" sounding and lacks a certain something. It feels a tad cheap compared to the regular JPs. (My opinion: maybe I tried a lemon?) I'd like to get some input from a Majesty owner!
So my reccommendation is that you go try one out but I personally would suggest looking into a JP. It's the same price range, maybe cheaper or a little more depending on the options, whether you want a BFR, JPX etc. In my opinion the JP(all models) is a better guitar all around and I find it hits home with me.

As for a custom, good luck getting a decent custom shop at a $2400 price point. If you wanna shell out the extra cash and spend between $3000-$5000 on a custom then I highly suggest you do it. There's a lot of great companies out there and it's well worth the waiting time. Some starting suggestions which are pretty much staple at this point: Carvin, Skervesen, Mayones, Suhr, strandberg*...etc. There are good number of quality builders (many whom I have not listed) out there so be sure to look around thoroughly if you're serious about a custom.

EDIT: I just saw you were using £GBP. Apologies for the prices in USD. Maybe some European custom shops will be cheaper? E.g. Daemoness which are based in England. Fingers crossed! :D

GRIZ

djentleman
Reaction score
we have two at the Guitar Center that I work at. a blue six string and a black seven string.

Several things i don't like about them after playing them:
they came with a terrible setup
the pickups sound weak with low output
the guitar feels cheap in my hands
the selector switches also felt cheap

also, it looks like a damn shovel.

not for me. after a good setup, they played pretty swell but i definitely don't think they are worth the price tag, especially since the seven string is no different from the six string but the seven string was 3200 bucks as opposed to its 2600 dollar brother.

meh

Daeniel

7string n00b!
Reaction score
As far as Parker Fly are concerned, you can't go wrong with a Classic or a Mojo.

Currently I own a Deluxe - while being cheaper 'cause there's more resin than wood I can't really complain 'cause it sounds and plays good. One advice: if you buy one 2nd-hand try it in person, cause they are definitely peculiar guitars and some defects can never be repaired.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
Several things i don't like about them after playing them:
they came with a terrible setup
the pickups sound weak with low output
the guitar feels cheap in my hands
the selector switches also felt cheap

^^^ THIS. I picked one up to try (the 7-string) because I love the way they look, but it just felt so damn cheap and the pickups were so weak that it amazed me this instrument costs what it does. Honestly, (and I'm willing to catch fire for this) aside from the cool finishes, I didn't see a difference between the Majesty and the various Sterling JP70D/JP100D models up on the shelf.

Actually... I think those Sterling JP's sounded great aside from how cheap/toy-ish they felt. The Majesty was a cool concept, but it's looking like a flop to me :2c:

inb4: "You don't own one, your opinion isn't valid. I own one and it's great", I totally understand some folks like it and have purchased one, but realistically if I don't like it in the store I'm likely not going to drop close to $3500 in hopes that I'll vibe with it at home through my own rig. :noplease:

dragonbiscuit

G.A.S. Therapist
Reaction score
I own a 6 stg majesty. My first impressions went from: this is cool, to oh crap this guitar sucks, and then back to this is pretty cool lol. It's a different animal than the other JPs IMO but still a decent guitar in its own right. Things I like: lightweight, cleans sound wonderful, only one output jack, bridge is fantastically comfy to rest my picking hand on, neck profile is just right, and great fret access. Things I don't like: finish looks cool (mystic dream) but is quite slippery if you have any sweat/oil on your hands, set up was sub par (intonation is way out), came with an extra trem bar but no tools or manual, illuminator pickups are not thrilling me (but they're not too bad either).

The more time I spend with this guitar, the more I appreciate the versatility and especially the clean tones. However, it seems like I'm tweaking for days to get a decent high gain sound with this using my Axe-Fx II. The ebony board on mine is quite nice and I actually like the inlays. Definitely a controversial design/look that's not for everyone. I don't think the switches or controls feel cheap at all and I really like push-push pots. IMO they are quite pretty guitars in person and not what I usually go after. I'll likely keep it even just for the cleans but will probably drop some new pups in there when I'm not feeling so lazy. If anyone has pickup replacement suggestions I'd love to hear them b/c I'm not sure what buy for this.

Oh yeah - as for the price tag, I'm still on the fence about that topic. Sometimes I think it's worth it and others I feel it's about $500-600 too much for what you get. I don't suggest spending the extra dough for the finish I got - not unless you really like that one in particular. I'll probably be much happier with some different pickups.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
I'd say go Titans all the way. The Titans are my new go-to set. All-in-all though, I still love the way the Majesty looks. I'm just waiting for the "Sterling MJ100D/MJ70D's" to come out so I can afford one and shove Titans in them. :lol:

These aren't actually coming out btw... Just me being hopeful.

chandler1389

Reaction score
For the price of a majesty, you can get a guitar custom made to fit you and probably have some money left over as well.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! I have been totally put off the guitar now... the search continues!

Really not sure what to get, I have yet to play a guitar that is just perfect in terms of playability. Perhaps I will look into getting a Strandberg, after a 3 year wait.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Looks really aren't important to me. All I want right now is the perfect studio guitar that plays really easily, sounds great, stays in tune and has high fret access. Maybe I am being too fussy, but I am yet to find a guitar that does all of that.

GRIZ

djentleman
Reaction score
Looks really aren't important to me. All I want right now is the perfect studio guitar that plays really easily, sounds great, stays in tune and has high fret access. Maybe I am being too fussy, but I am yet to find a guitar that does all of that.

get a used ibanez prestige rga121

great fret access. super sturdy tuning. rock solid reliability. best hardtail bridge ever made (IMO). i own two. great for live and studio aplication

dragonbiscuit

G.A.S. Therapist
Reaction score
+1 for the Ibanez - any prestige RG for that matter. Not many companies offer more bang for the buck and you can pick them up used for a song these days.

')