Thoughts?

• Thread starter xMitch92x
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xMitch92x

Reaction score
Ok, so. Since this Christmas, I have actually acquired money for once and I have been wanting to move on from my Fender Champion 300 and take this opportunity to buy a head and 2x12.

What are your thoughts on an 2005 ESP LTD MH-1000NT > Maxon OD808 > ISP Decimator > Peavey 6505+ > Orange PPC212.

I mainly play hardcore stuff, so yes this is a generic hardcore rig (so i have been told). However, I am uncertain whether or not this will be too much as a bedroom amp as I am currently not in a band (this may change in the new year).

While I know there are all sorts of other great amps like Mesas, ENGL etc etc, unfortunately in Australia we get raped by prices something severe.

I know as well that I should try this amp but with exams, Christmas and all sorts of other events I have been sidetracked and have not been able to take up an opportunity to do so.

However, I thought that as many members here have given great advice to newbies such as myself, I would just try and see what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

robotsatemygma

myspace.com/pygar1
Reaction score
It's your money so get whatever makes you happy!:hbang:

Since imported items are stupid expensive in Aussie land, I say check out a Brugera 6260 or 6262. I picked one up after losing my Engl... and I have to say I'm pretty happy with the results. It won't sound the best for bedroom level playing, but waiting to crank that puppy, it might be worth the wait.

You might also want to check into getting a combo, or said 1/4th stack and slap an OD distortion pedal in there... so you can get the bROOtz at lower levels.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Do not rush big purchases, try before you buy

The rig is solid, provided you like the 5150 boosted tone :yesway:

xMitch92x

Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs, I would definitely not buy without trying it out. That's the only bad thing, most shops here in Sydney don't sell the 6505+ and Orange cab etc etc which sucks.

Do not rush big purchases, try before you buy

The rig is solid, provided you like the 5150 boosted tone :yesway:

Personally I havn't heard a 5150/6505 boosted before. People seem to like them boosted, from what i've heard anyway.

jamesy_pwd

.James.
Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs, I would definitely not buy without trying it out. That's the only bad thing, most shops here in Sydney don't sell the 6505+ and Orange cab etc etc which sucks.

Personally I havn't heard a 5150/6505 boosted before. People seem to like them boosted, from what i've heard anyway.

oi dude, allans music in the CBD there sells both the 6505 and the Orange 2x12 :hbang: thats where i got my black orange 4x12 (Y) went in there and was gunna bring my amp but they had a 6505+ there, so i was like score, deffs check it out

xMitch92x

Reaction score
oi dude, allans music in the CBD there sells both the 6505 and the Orange 2x12 :hbang: thats where i got my black orange 4x12 (Y) went in there and was gunna bring my amp but they had a 6505+ there, so i was like score, deffs check it out

Yeah, I was in there a couple weeks ago and almost creamed myself when I spotted both of them. The downside is they sell it at the RRP so $3000 for the 6505+ and $1300 or thereabouts for the Orange. Hopefully i'll be able to haggle them down to a suitable price.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
2005 ESP LTD MH-1000NT > Maxon OD808 > ISP Decimator > Peavey 6505+ > Orange PPC212

sounds good to me!
I don't know about the guitar, but that's pretty much identical to my rig with my RG7321, except mine's a 4x12 and a TS808.
About the bedroom volume - it depends what you consider bedroom volume, really.
On mine with a the 4x12, I consider bedroom volume 1 on the dial. No louder than 1.5 for sure, but I think this is a kinda loud bedroom volume.
I think about 3 is practice volume with a drumkit.
I guess this will differ with a 2x12, I'm kinda wishing I got a 2x12 instead but oh well! Not sure if they differ tonally because of size.

However I am very very happy with this rig and if you choose this I think you will be to.
The boost pedal has made SUCH a great improvement - I wasn't really happy with the tones I was getting on volume 1, but with the boost pedal they are very playable. And it makes a GREAT improvement at higher volumes!

xMitch92x

Reaction score
2005 ESP LTD MH-1000NT > Maxon OD808 > ISP Decimator > Peavey 6505+ > Orange PPC212

sounds good to me!
I don't know about the guitar, but that's pretty much identical to my rig with my RG7321, except mine's a 4x12 and a TS808.
About the bedroom volume - it depends what you consider bedroom volume, really.
On mine with a the 4x12, I consider bedroom volume 1 on the dial. No louder than 1.5 for sure, but I think this is a kinda loud bedroom volume.
I think about 3 is practice volume with a drumkit.
I guess this will differ with a 2x12, I'm kinda wishing I got a 2x12 instead but oh well! Not sure if they differ tonally because of size.

However I am very very happy with this rig and if you choose this I think you will be to.
The boost pedal has made SUCH a great improvement - I wasn't really happy with the tones I was getting on volume 1, but with the boost pedal they are very playable. And it makes a GREAT improvement at higher volumes!

Rad as dude. Since i'm not in a band I thought i'd go for the 2x12 although i'd love to have a 4x12 but I think that would be a bit much for my shoes-box size of a room. I usually crank my current amp up to about 3-5 depending on who is home haha.

As I am a complete noob, how does one exactly 'boost' the tone with an overdrive pedal such as the 808?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
The 2x12 will do you just fine. I'm certain that 2x12 are fine for a band setting aswell. Maybe 4x12s are tonally different but the fact that this thing on 3/10 shakes my entire house makes me wonder what the hell you turn it up to 10 for :nuts:
Plus the fact this thing is hell to move with even 2 people, compared to standard 4x12s that I can lift on my own...:lol:
2x12 will be more than enough for an acoustic gig, and if it really needs to go up chances are it's going to get miced up anyway.

The typical way of boosting is to turn the volume on the pedal up, but keep the drive very low. Tone to suit. This keeps the signal pretty clean depending on the amount of drive, but gives a tighter smoother sound from the amp. I have mine set drive 2/10 tone 6/10 volume 10/10

xMitch92x

Reaction score
The 2x12 will do you just fine. I'm certain that 2x12 are fine for a band setting aswell. Maybe 4x12s are tonally different but the fact that this thing on 3/10 shakes my entire house makes me wonder what the hell you turn it up to 10 for :nuts:
Plus the fact this thing is hell to move with even 2 people, compared to standard 4x12s that I can lift on my own...:lol:
2x12 will be more than enough for an acoustic gig, and if it really needs to go up chances are it's going to get miced up anyway.

The typical way of boosting is to turn the volume on the pedal up, but keep the drive very low. Tone to suit. This keeps the signal pretty clean depending on the amount of drive, but gives a tighter smoother sound from the amp. I have mine set drive 2/10 tone 6/10 volume 10/10

I was talking to my brother's friend the other week and he mentioned that those Orange 4x12s are really heavy.

Thanks for the info on boosting, I had a rough idea that it would be something like that, but I wasn't too sure haha.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
FYI: the 6505 will probably be total and complete overkill for a bedroom, if you can't turn it up at all. Amps are not quiet - 5W will hurt your ears.

jamesy_pwd

.James.
Reaction score
Yeah, I was in there a couple weeks ago and almost creamed myself when I spotted both of them. The downside is they sell it at the RRP so $3000 for the 6505+ and $1300 or thereabouts for the Orange. Hopefully i'll be able to haggle them down to a suitable price.

nahh man they give SWEET deals, when i bought my orange 4x12 off em the RRP was $1800 and they gave it to me for $1,039m fuckin mad deal :lol:

defchime

Reaction score
FYI: the 6505 will probably be total and complete overkill for a bedroom, if you can't turn it up at all. Amps are not quiet - 5W will hurt your ears.

I have a Madison Divinity 2 through a Randall 412 in my room lol...everytime I walk in my room I just laugh at how much space is taken up by my rig.

As for the sound over kill, a 212 would have been a better choice but I bought used so it was worth it...I do that master vol high and channel vol low thing to get a better sound. I keep the volume pretty low (I can still hear the strings and picking and stuff) and im absolutely satisfied with my rig...best of all I just need to move it from my place to jam spaces and not worry about it being too loud or too quiet...In my opinion its all about how you teak your amp and if you practice with your volume low

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
if you already have a divinity at home, then you're "experienced" :lol:

I had the jsx + 412 in 2 small rooms the first 2 years of school.. now the halfstack stays at the jamspace *sigh*

xMitch92x

Reaction score
nahh man they give SWEET deals, when i bought my orange 4x12 off em the RRP was $1800 and they gave it to me for $1,039m fuckin mad deal :lol:

Did you pay with cash?

I checked their website earlier and the 6505+ head was $2400 (as opposed to $3000 when I seen it in store) and the cab is $936 (as opposed to $1300). So hopefully I will try get an even better deal if I pay cash or something.

jamesy_pwd

.James.
Reaction score
Did you pay with cash?

I checked their website earlier and the 6505+ head was $2400 (as opposed to $3000 when I seen it in store) and the cab is $936 (as opposed to $1300). So hopefully I will try get an even better deal if I pay cash or something.

nah man, didnt pay cash :) just was like "best price mate?" and that was it, :hbang: good deal

xMitch92x

Reaction score
yeah dude good luck! :hbang: tbh i dont really like most of the guys that work in there though.. but a deals a deal

So I went to Allan's today and bought it, sound so good! The dude Mark was a great dude. It came to about $3400 which was roughly $900 off. I didn't end up buying an overdrive pedal, but I probably will a few months down the track.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
So I went to Allan's today and bought it, sound so good! The dude Mark was a great dude. It came to about $3400 which was roughly $900 off. I didn't end up buying an overdrive pedal, but I probably will a few months down the track.

Grab an Ibanez TS-7. In Australia, the Maxon pedals are horrifically expensive, and the TS-7 does a good job with boosting anyway.

Latest posts

')