THR10x Honeymoon is Over

• Thread starter Sollipsist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sollipsist

Reaction score
When I first got the THR10x it was awesome. Everything I played sounded great with very little tweaking. I couldn't wait to get back to it. I considered selling everything else (except my big amp).

Now literally NOTHING sounds right. It's almost impossible to get decent palm muting without fizzy flab unless I drop the preamp level way down. There's a high buzzy overtone on just about every gain model that I can't get rid of.

The cleans are still pretty awesome sounding, but the attack is so dull that it's like playing a plastic guitar. My old Mustang modeling amp has noticeably better attack. If only it had a decent high gain model...

The only thing different between now and when I got it is a new set of strings, and if anything that should improve the response, right? I wondered if maybe something affected the amp when I connected to the PC - version update or something - but I disconnected completely and did a factory reset, and it still sounds the same.

I have no problem with spending time dialing in sounds, but it's weird that I barely touched the knobs at first and still was totally in love with everything it did. And two weeks later I'm considering just sending it back and getting a Katana instead. Any advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
When I first got the THR10x it was awesome. Everything I played sounded great with very little tweaking. I couldn't wait to get back to it. I considered selling everything else (except my big amp).

Now literally NOTHING sounds right. It's almost impossible to get decent palm muting without fizzy flab unless I drop the preamp level way down. There's a high buzzy overtone on just about every gain model that I can't get rid of.

The cleans are still pretty awesome sounding, but the attack is so dull that it's like playing a plastic guitar. My old Mustang modeling amp has noticeably better attack. If only it had a decent high gain model...

The only thing different between now and when I got it is a new set of strings, and if anything that should improve the response, right? I wondered if maybe something affected the amp when I connected to the PC - version update or something - but I disconnected completely and did a factory reset, and it still sounds the same.

I have no problem with spending time dialing in sounds, but it's weird that I barely touched the knobs at first and still was totally in love with everything it did. And two weeks later I'm considering just sending it back and getting a Katana instead. Any advice?

I presume you have tried other guitars in it too?
If it still sounds weird/odd with those then its either something has gone slightly wrong inside the unit and its not working correct or it is genuinely one of those odd occasions where new gears tone being different, tricks you into thinking that sound is the best thing ever.

when....it just isnt haha.

0rimus

Reaction score
I owned a THR10x for awhile and while it had amazing lead/shred tones... I couldn't stand it for playing rhythm.

Maybe if you tune higher than C standard it could hold together better, but, idunno.

I know people rave about them here but yeah, the 5" speaker in my Katana head sounds 5000x better. Even my little goofy Crate brave little toaster amp sounded better (for rhythm)
482076000000000-00-500x500.jpg

wakjob

Reaction score
Sorry, I can't relate.

I still play mine almost exclusively.
But should note that I ONLY use the 'Brown I' model.
I can't get on with any of the other models in it.
And I use it with just about every type of pickup/guitar.
Mostly single coils, but humbuckers, p90's, rail buckers, actives, 7-string, ect...

Nope, still love mine.

There could be something wrong with yours?
Or maybe it's time for a clean sweep re-boot
to factory settings?

Alex79

Reaction score
Had one and returned it within the trial period.

I had a similar experience - very nice cleans, but gain is flabby, too warm, with no attack and no decent palm mutes.

wakjob

Reaction score
Had one and returned it within the trial period.

I had a similar experience - very nice cleans, but gain is flabby, too warm, with no attack and no decent palm mutes.

See, I don't get this with mine.
Must be some quality issues at Yamaha.

Palm mutes are my bread & butter...
and 'Brown I' on mine is like a wholegrain hard roll.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really, really wanted to love my THR10, and on its own it was great, but I tend to play along with backing tracks a lot and it just didn't hold up well, or I should say, it didn't do any better than my existing PODHD.

I'm still keeping it, and I futz with it at least once a week, but I was pretty disappointed given how many people I know, who are typically into great gear, who dig it.

This was the standard THR10, not the "X". I'm thinking about ordering one to see if I get along better with that variant, but I'm hesitant.

Sollipsist

Reaction score
Some of it is expectations, definitely. If you could manage to cram a handful of Kemper profiles into a $400 box, everybody else would be out of business. I knew going in that the THR10x wasn't going to be like that.

But man, the difference between my first impressions and now is like night and day. I still play the crap out of it, don't get me wrong...

NateFalcon

Reaction score
I thought the “X” would have a bump in gain and be more suited for high gain playing and be able to handle at least thrashy tones...the gain structure just couldn’t hang for my taste, I spent about 15 minutes going through all the settings- it had decent mid-gain tones but for high gain it fell apart, it had shitty definition and meh gain levels. It felt like a cheap toy quality-wise as well...they hyped these toasters to be “big” sounding but truth in marketing has become total BS in some cases, this is one IMO. Definitely try one before rolling the dice...YMMV

7 Stringer

Reaction score
Love mine a lot but i get the flabby low end thing for tight downtuned rythms. I boost it with a Précision Drive and god damn, it is perfect for that!!!!

Problem solved.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
I own thr10x for like 3 years or so. Still like it. Just keep the second knob (master) between 12-3 o’clock. I use Brown II 98% of the time.

Reaction score
I thought the “X” would have a bump in gain and be more suited for high gain playing and be able to handle at least thrashy tones...the gain structure just couldn’t hang for my taste, I spent about 15 minutes going through all the settings- it had decent mid-gain tones but for high gain it fell apart, it had shitty definition and meh gain levels. It felt like a cheap toy quality-wise as well...they hyped these toasters to be “big” sounding but truth in marketing has become total BS in some cases, this is one IMO. Definitely try one before rolling the dice...YMMV

My experience as well. 15 minutes and I knew it wasn't for me. Back in the box.

Sollipsist

Reaction score
I own thr10x for like 3 years or so. Still like it. Just keep the second knob (master) between 12-3 o’clock. I use Brown II 98% of the time.

I've had the opposite experience - my best sounds have come from keeping the preamp around noon and the master near full :)

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
I've had the opposite experience - my best sounds have come from keeping the preamp around noon and the master near full :)
"master" knob (the one near gain knob) is in fact preamp volume and "guitar" knob is a true "master". These names are confusing. So You might not understand my sentence. And yes - i have similar observation: gain and master (preamp volume) at 12-2 o'clock for the best sound.

Sollipsist

Reaction score
"master" knob (the one near gain knob) is in fact preamp volume and "guitar" knob is a true "master". These names are confusing. So You might not understand my sentence. And yes - i have similar observation: gain and master (preamp volume) at 12-2 o'clock for the best sound.
Oh, gotcha. Gain --> Master --> EQ stack --> effect --> reverb --> Guitar Volume

')