Thrash band using Suhr and PRS!?

bloc

tha vagina finda
Reaction score
I'm a huge progressive thrash fan and it's always nice to come across a band I've never heard of. The band is called Black Fast and they remind me a lot of Vektor. I was watching their new music video and noticed the 2 guitarists were using PRS and Suhr. It brought a tear to my eye :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Promit

Reaction score
When I see a guitarist playing that kind of equipment, I know somebody didn't quit their day job ;)

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
^
:scratch: I mean I'm not saying these guitars are cheap, but even highschoolers with McJobs can save up for cars that are more.

Anyways good song though. Reminds me of Havok, which I used to listen to a lot. Haven't been keeping up with new thrash.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Hated the song, hated the use of the term "progressive" (as if somehow using that term makes the music more evolved and better than the main genre subset it's under), I thought the fans looked confused and in need of more alcohol to let loose and get into supporting their band, and find nothing unusual about a bunch of guys with a desire to use high class instruments for their artform. My custom Jackson was close to 5K. I commend them for being able to use such great instruments and don't really see any defining factor about it.

Sarcasm and criticism aside, it's just not my thing, and I'm a big thrash head, so please just understand I'm being honest in my impression of the *video*. The reason I'm replying? Because I think even a $300 guitar can sound great. High priced instruments really shine the most in playability and stability first and foremost. And as Electric Wizard mentioned, many of these guys can save up and get a car for the same price so why not a guitar? Good on them for striving to use quality instruments. :yesway: :hbang:

Rev.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
Nice song though. It's still hard hitting. But i am biased in the sense that i grew up listening to thrash (like most of us of course!). I actually like the frontman's approach compared to most other modern thrash. The other players seem really into it as well...and that's always a good thing! I hope that nurtures into a unique style.

Among modern thrash, IMO Evile tops the list alongside Revocation. Really sad to knw that Ol Drake (the lead player, Evile) quit the band. That's the only band that does the "and justice for all" sound really good, and ol drake's a monster metal player!

The fans in this video...umm...I haven't been to too many metal shows exactly, but I doubt if there were enough 'real headbangers' around for the video, or even in existence today!

Remember Nirvana's t-spirit video with those headbangers from the 80s era...and even the fear factory video 'cyberwaste', has that sort of headbanging i am referring to..

As for suhrs -
I just met a young adult at the Aristocrats' show last weekend with a Suhr. He was probably around 18-19 years old. I have no idea how he affords that. But got around to asking him questions about the instrument and techniques...he does seem to know quite a bit. So I guess you could say that it's justified for a dedicated player ... Still not sure about the affordability though! :)

Reaction score
These guys are friends of mine and the front man Aaron uses that PRS and that happens to be his only guitar. People buy loads of expensive gear and guitars, but are not where these guys are at.....but give the album a listen, these guys are really pretty good, and this is their major label debut. They are going on tour with Goatwhore this fall.

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
Hated the use of the term "progressive" (as if somehow using that term makes the music more evolved and better than the main genre subset it's under)

Thank you thank you thank you. I can't stand this anymore. I used to be one of those people who threw "progressive" around like it was nothing and now I don't. I heard nothing "progressive" in this song. That doesn't mean it's not good, it's just not progressive. It's become a necessary tag to sound like you're unique when you just...aren't.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I was expecting to be disappointed after reading the "progressive" label. I was not. This was sick :metal:

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you. I can't stand this anymore. I used to be one of those people who threw "progressive" around like it was nothing and now I don't. I heard nothing "progressive" in this song. That doesn't mean it's not good, it's just not progressive. It's become a necessary tag to sound like you're unique when you just...aren't.
Quite honestly most bands that are deemed progressive anything simply aren't. These guys are pretty good, not exactly my taste, I'm a melodic death/metalcore kind of person primarily, but good nonetheless. I see a lot of bands in the metalcore scene have that word slapped in front of it. Most people seem to think that as soon as you use less breakdowns and more lead guitar in your metalcore you're suddenly progressive. A band I listen to called Erra, for example, a lot of people call them progressive metalcore, yet they use standard time signatures, and most conventions of metalcore with just a bit more lead guitar and slightly less breakdowns. And yet, that still doesn't make them unique in the scene as bands like Volumes; I, The Breather, and Northlane are already doing the same thing. It's not really progressive, it's just a different flavor of metalcore. The same way Asking Alexandria and Killswitch are both metalcore but sound nothing alike.

Rizzo

Reaction score
People doesn't even know what "progressive" is these days, the abuse of the term is so irritating. I'm not stating that "I know" also because the term never had a definite meaning but guys is this getting out of hand.

According to me, it just belongs to the '60-'70s when there was that way of thinking, that movement fighting for a more forward thinking, interesting and free arrangement in songwriting.
And above all it's in any case just a mere WORD, a f***in s**tty label.
Prog rock was just called "rock" as any other rock styled thing back in the day,there were no labels at the time. Labels just come from modern musical journalism.

These days, every time any band finds a more elegant, mature or thought-out musical element in its style, then BAM the P-bomb HAS suddenly to be dropped as a completely necessary label. Or maybe an excuse for attention?
So annoying also because it's coming from the nickname of a way of thinking that was all against thinking in boxes.
Progressive metalcore? I mean are you kidding me? God.
Also, people thinking the use of odd time signatures would make anything "progressive" just because of that...

Sorry for the off topic rant thing, but sometimes I just can't stop laughing. Or crying, it depends.
Well that's why I hate labels and also the term "progressive" and kids-these-days.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find "progressive" to be a term used damn near entirely by muscians. As some kind of insiders' code: "It's progressive... nomsayin *secret handshake*" Whereas common music fans never use the word to describe anything, unless they are in fact talking about 70's prog.

As for progressive thrash I always figured Metallica and Megadeth had a ton of those elements people call "progressive" anyhow, like long songs, tricky riffs, odd song formats etc. so modern bands doing the same thing don't strike me as anything outside the ordinary thrash.

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
"Progressive metalcore" is my most hated tag for a genre, ever.

I agree with Rizzo, the only music I call prog anymore is that 70's progressive rock stuff that's actually deserving of the progressive tag because of how evolved it was in context to what was around it at the time. And Dream Theater.

If 4 in every 5 metalcore bands is calling themselves progressive metalcore, then they most definitely aren't, because (in my opinion) "progressive" I usually think of as a tag that means "more evolved and in depth musically and theoretically than the musical acts currently around it". Does that make sense?

bloc

tha vagina finda
Reaction score
Hmm, I guess it's impossible for a band thread not to turn into a genre debate, but a man can dream I guess...

But anyway, the point of the thread was to show fancy guitars in a genre of music normally not known for using said fancy guitars. After all, PRS and Suhr aren't household names in the world of thrash. Dunno about you guys, but I like seeing that. And of course to share a cool band.

')