Thrash Metal Mix: Thoughts on Compression?

• Thread starter Brandon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon

Azlgaf
Reaction score
So we were divided up into groups in my German class at the Uni, given an assignment where we have to make a commercial for a fake product that we made up. Of course, any opportunity I get to write music for homework, I jump on it. :agreed:

So the other guys in the group thought it would be cool to have a short thrash track to come in, due to the content of our ad, so I sat down and wrote and produced this clip real quick last night.

SoundClick artist: Der Professor - I'm Brandon Jones and I play the guitar. I dabble in many Genres, and am always looking for fresh id

Pretty generic musically, but it's more the mix that I'm focused on. I put a limiter on the master fader, and the drums are already pretty squashed, so I wasn't sure how I felt about it. So this brought up a question, how squashed is acceptable? I don't hear any pumping from what I can tell, but everything sounds... I dunno, close, whereas a lot of professionally done recordings seem to have more breathing space. If that makes sense. Opinions on this matter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

h8leech

Valkyrie Treaty
Reaction score
i actually like it the way it is.... could bring up the room/overhead mics some or just add a pinch of the high frequencies to the overheads... gotta a good old school mid 80s thrash feel to it. good job bro

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
old school thrash, my favorite :lol:

the overall mix is 7/10

the individual sounds are really good, and I focus my attention on the nice guitar tone, the drums are ok, the bass drum is a bit too "tight", if it is coming from a VST (im almost sure it is), let is sound for a bit more time. The hi-hat is almost undistinguishable, raise the volume a bit. The snare is the nicest part in the drums' mix.

The whole mix needs a bit more filling, you need to feel that the whole sound spectrum is filled with metal goodness.

These comments are a bit "snob", the mix is really good, and the music aswell, keep it going :hbang:

Brandon

Azlgaf
Reaction score
Okay, so here's the project that it was for. It's the same mix, but I didn't think it would fit the vid, which it ended up doing swimmingly. The guy in my group did a fantastic job. It's pretty hilarious (IMO).

Latest posts

')