Threat Signal...

• Thread starter Jysan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jysan

Banned
Reaction score
I heard a bit of these guys a while back and didn't like them too much...I was bored and gave them another try tonight and finally got to some leads...their lead player is really good. Aside from the cheasy vocals they are an excellent band...what do you guys think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree completely. Their sound is tight and really heavy. Kinda Meshuggah like, but with a real groove metal feel.

The sinegr's vocals are great too... except when he soings. Gah. It sounds like Linkin Park. Apart from that, pretty cool.

Jysan

Banned
Reaction score
exactly...i'v always equated those kind of vocals with cheasy metal like korn and mushroomhead...

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
The sinegr's vocals are great too... except when he soings. Gah. It sounds like Linkin Park. Apart from that, pretty cool.

and whats wrong with linkin park! :fawk: haha i'll check these guys out though. Even if they have a LP vocal thing happening, i don't mind a bit of LP in all honesty and respect :agreed:

Jysan

Banned
Reaction score
I wasn't saying he doesn't have talent...he can obviously do something not many can...it's just not my cup of metal

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
and whats wrong with linkin park! :fawk: haha i'll check these guys out though. Even if they have a LP vocal thing happening, i don't mind a bit of LP in all honesty and respect :agreed:

First off, me personally, I HATE Linkin Park. Ugh. Words can't describe it.

But aside from that, if you check 'em out Korbain, it's possible you'll see what we mean by "cheesy." When he does his normal vocals, he sounds fine. The music is pretty fucking heavy. But when the chorus comes up, all of a sudden he sounds like a whiney pussy. I'm not deliberately knocking him here because I have an axe to grind. I really, really like their music. It's just THAT vocal style, while not only A) cheesy, and B) reminiscent of Linking park, is C) not fitting for that style of heavy music at all.

Know what I'm sayin'? ;)

omentremor

this godles endeavor
Reaction score
All true. I first heard em at 4 am on a music program with the aid of coffee. I thought these guys are pretty cool. Then the chorus. NNOOOOOOO!!!! But later on a cd that came with a metal hammer I hear rational eyes again. And fuckin love it. I think a lot of people have an instant aversion to those vocals.

And while we're bashing LP, my friend got given heaps of dvds when his dad went to the philipines that were 10 cents over there. The LP one is so funny. The singer is talking about starting the biggest mosh pit ever. So what the camera man does is shake the camera to make it look hardcore. The 'guitarist' and his headphone gimmick. Mousey guy screaming shut up. The rapper, well rapping. The DJ trying to smash his equiptment and failing. The drummer using delay to sound cool with an expression on his face that says god Im good. Its really good to laugh at.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I thought Threat Signal was pretty good when I saw them. Haven't picked up the album yet.

Loserchief

Rokuban Taicho
Reaction score
saw them live at earthshaker fest and totally hated them(especially the clean vocals). That impression hasn't even after i just gave them a listen.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I just watched this at work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9gOpvrk-v4
although I'm not into the screaming "meshuggah" type of vocals these guys do, I have to agree. WTF is that chorus all about.
it sounds like a pussy comes in to sing the chorus.
Now he actually has a good clean voice but it just doesn't go between verses sung the way he's singing them.
Is this supposed to be some kind of "formula" that bands think works?
Killswsith Engage, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Shadows Fall? all these guys are starting to sound the same to me (although I really like Scar symmetry and Soilwork is growing on me too)
what's up with all of these bands?

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
I really like this band and it's pretty rare i'll like a canadian band (we're just not great at that kind of music... so i was surprised discovering this).

I don't see what's the problem with the vocals.
A little nuance is always appreciated instead of screams troughout the f*ckin song (also, i'm not the screaming type).
I think comments regarding the clean vocals are exaggerated.
Each have their opinions, but imo, this doesn't compare to shitty LP in any way at all.
You've got to listen to more than just a song.

bigheadood

Metallurgist
Reaction score
Sounds like a cross between Hatebreed and Fear Factory. Not good.

Don't put Scar Symmetry in with these guys.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I really like this band and it's pretty rare i'll like a canadian band (we're just not great at that kind of music... so i was surprised discovering this).
I really like this band, too.

You've got to listen to more than just a song.
I have the whole album, Chief. I've listened to it numurous times. Again, I like 'em. But I think my LP comparison is perfectly valid, as that's exactly what it sounds like to me. That people happen to agree only strenghthens my point.

I love nuance. I mean, Opeth is one of my very favorite bands. That's pretty nuanced. ;) But dude's clean vocals, when he sings those choruses, just sounds weak, whimpy, and doesn't fit the music, IMHO.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
I really like this band, too.

I have the whole album, Chief. I've listened to it numurous times. Again, I like 'em. But I think my LP comparison is perfectly valid, as that's exactly what it sounds like to me. That people happen to agree only strenghthens my point.

I love nuance. I mean, Opeth is one of my very favorite bands. That's pretty nuanced. ;) But dude's clean vocals, when he sings those choruses, just sounds weak, whimpy, and doesn't fit the music, IMHO.

Well ok ok.

It's not that i think that they're a stellar band or whatever.
Imho, that one (first!) album is just way better than any LP has done.
That's what it sounds like to me. Again, it's just opinion.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
:scratch:

I actually do think they're (take that, Jon Davis :fawk:) a really good band. Especially the rhythm section.

I think these guys are 5 million times better than Linkin Pork. I just think the singer sounds like the LP singer dude on the choruses. I was glad to see I wasn't the only fan who felt that way. :D His regular Meshuggah-type vocals are pretty cool, though.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Rhythm section is pretty tight, indeed.
And at least, as far as vocals goes, i think it's well balanced between (more) Meshuggah type than (less) singing in the chorus.

Linkin Pork? :lol:

')