Tightest high gain amps under $1000 used?

• Thread starter MoistTowelette
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Surprisingly small difference. I haven't cranked it loud and compared it, but I honestly expected more of a difference. I would think you'd do fine with a CL. But, get the 100CL, that way you have the bigger bottom end. I don't have one of those, but it'll give you that big iron sound, and diminish the difference between the EL34s and KT88s even more.

Cool, good to hear

I currently have a Fryette GP/DI preamp and 2/50/2 power amp, which is pretty cool. It has a Pitbull mode, and I have read the 2/50/2 is similar to the CL50’s power amp (but no tube rectifier option) so I’m probably not too far off as it is.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

trem licking

Reaction score
+1 for 5150II/6505+. no boost necessary... definitely tight enough on its own. gain on 5-6. best value out of used amps, for sure

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
idk so many options, but 5150!!!!!!!!!!!

under 1k though

50cl (VHT/Fryette)
dual channel rec or single rec, you'll have change for a good boost
i wouldn't do the deliverance but that's just me
yeah a 6505 blbabla with enough change for a cab too, boost, and a lady of the night (one of those lot lizards nothing to write home about)
mesa mark ivs come out under 1k sometimes,
erm, preamps plenty to choose from there with enough for a power amp

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Forgot to mention the Randall T2 and V2. Imagine if you had an amp that already had a low-pass filter built in. I couldn't get my V2 to sound fizzy no matter how high I cranked the treble and presence. And it's very try and tight.

bracky

Contributor
Reaction score
Mooer 005 preamp and baby bomb 30 watt power amp gets you a brutal tight tone for around $200 new.

D-EJ915

Forum MVP
Reaction score
What speaker and speaker cabinet are you going to run said amp through? Changing your speaker and/or cab can make a bigger difference than changing your amp.

wedge_destroyer

Reaction score
In my experience the XXX is tighter and less fizzy than the 5150. And I believe the Ultra Plus is even tighter/less fizzy.

I had an SLX for a little while and didn't dig it at all without a boost, wasn't crazy with one either. I'd like to try another but the DSL 20HR sounds way more appealing. I traded the SLX for a Mesa OS Slant Straight cab cause my Peavey Ultra 120 murdered it. Try an Ultra, pre XXX. Not as thick as a 5150/6505 but that's what you want.

Ultra, standard or plus or a Rockmaster pre with a good poweramp, an Eq in the loop, add cab and done.

Strobe

Reaction score
On a budget, hard to beat a Peavey XXX or a Carvin V3m. They regularly sell used in the $400 range, and are tighter than almost any 5150 in my opinion. Not to knock the 5150, it's a great amp, and one of my favorites, but ubertight it is not.

The Carvin feels kind of rectifier like to me.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
No love for Laney Ironhearts? Sounded super tight and dry when I tried a rental head at one gig. It has a built in OD too.
I think the OP was looking for something nicer/more expensive than an Ironheart, judging from the price range. It is a tight-as-hell amp, though; it doesn't need to be boosted for tightness, it needs to be boosted for saturation and, if anything, it benefits from a flatter boost (it seems to particularly like the OCD) to loosen it up a bit, at least IMO.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
As someone who own a a metric fuckton of Peavey gear... buy the 5153 in either Brit or American flavor, spice it up with your fav midbooster, and call it a day.

Type_R3387

Reaction score
Another vote for the EVH 5150iii.....Oooohhh yeeeeaaahh!