Tigran Hamasyan - Jazz +world music +meshuggah +fempop

• Thread starter wankerness
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
American release of Luys i Luso was 2 days ago. I'm quite enjoying it although it's obviously nothing like his usual output. There are still shades of jazz underneath the layered voices, which are beautiful in their own right.

Does anyone have translations for the song titles? Google Translate is being unusually unhelpful lol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Yeah, google translate can't do armenian unless you can find it in armenian alphabet, so the phonetic deals on this Tigran album are non-translatable. You can sometimes translate it by searching for one of the titles, finding a page that's mostly in armenian, and then doing translate on THAT after figuring out which section of it corresponds to the phonetic version. :p For example, run google translate on this page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEFn-903EYY

As far as I can tell, these are the titles. You can find all of them via google-fu (it's faster if you exclude "Tigran" from the search results). Some of them turned up on compilations of Armenian folk music which were kind enough to list the english title in the track name on itunes, for example. The only one I'm not sure on is the second there. I don't have the actual CD yet, but it very possibly says in the booklet what the translations are!

1. Ov Zarmanali 1 (O great mystery)
2. Ankanim araji Qo (Literal translation seems to be "Fall before you/thee," frequently labelled as "Hymn of Repentance")
3. Ov Zarmanali 2
4. Hayrapetakan Maghterg 1 (Pontifical Hymn)
5. Bazum en Qo gtutyunqd (Where are you my mother) (lyrics here)
6. Nor Tsaghik (new flower)
7. Hayrapetakan Maghterg 2
8. Hayrapetakan Maghterg 3
9. Havoun Havoun (about the bird) [Not sure how that translation works, but I found it translated as that in multiple sources]
10. Voghormea indz Astvats (show mercy on me god)
11. Sirt im Sasani 1 (my heart trembles)
12. Surb Astvats (holy god)
13. Sirt im Sasani 2
14. Orhnyal e Astvats (blessed be god)

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
Thank you, that's very informative. I couldn't figure out why the Armenian setting wouldn't work. I guess I'm not even good at automatic translation. :lol:

wankerness

Reaction score
I like this album a lot, so far I'm liking it a lot more than Mockroot, though I might not listen to it that often since it definitely isn't something you can play in your car or anything. Really moody stuff, with a ton of gorgeous harmonies. The only thing that really put me off on first listen is the poundy rhythmic bit about 2/3 through Nor Tsaghik, I guess he just couldn't resist having at least one part like that on one of his albums! There's a similar part towards the end of Track 10, but that one is much more integrated with the sound of the rest of the album.

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
That's funny; I'm listening to it right now and thinking "man, 6 and 10 are absolutely great, and it'd be a bummer if there'd been no pounding rhythmic parts on this album." But I admit that it is a little bit out of place. :lol:

And this album has actually helped me to appreciate Mockroot a bit more as well. It kind of makes sense that such an austere, stripped-back album would precede something like this. Shadow Theater may have been the perfect balance, but his two most recent releases are the absolute extremes of his style.

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score

I haven't seen this vid around, but MY GOD, that handle on rhythm is just too nutty for proper words. I freaking love it!!!

wankerness

Reaction score
The booklet has translations for all titles and lyrics. Some of them I was pretty close with on my googling, others were way off!

1. Ov Zarmanali 1 O this amazing and great mystery
2. Ankanim araji Qo I kneel before you
3. Ov Zarmanali 2
4. Hayrapetakan Maghterg 1 patriarchal ode
5. Bazum en Qo gtutyunqd your mercy is boundless
6. Nor Tsaghik new flower
7. Hayrapetakan Maghterg 2
8. Hayrapetakan Maghterg 3
9. Havoun Havoun the bird, the bird was awake
10. Voghormea indz Astvats god have mercy upon me
11. Sirt im Sasani 1 my heart is trembling
12. Surb Astvats holy god
13. Sirt im Sasani 2
14. Orhnyal e Astvats blessed is god!

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
I think the Shadow theater concert has been taken of YouTube, I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have it or know where I can get hold of it?

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
EDIT: This post used to include a video of Tosin Abasi playing along to a song off of Mockroot. He deleted it. :wallbash:

MattHood0

Reaction score
If anyone's interested, I transcribed the piano for The Grid, including the solo. Enjoy!

Attachments

• The Grid.pdf
    968.2 KB · Views: 31

Guthrielicious

Reaction score
If anyone's interested, I transcribed the piano for The Grid, including the solo. Enjoy!

Always! I love transcriptions of Tigran as well as transcribing his stuff myself. Inspiring many of his compositions really.

Do you have it in midi? or did it go straight on paper? :)

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
It's a Christmas miracle! It boggles my mind that people can transpose music like this, it just flies by so fast.

wankerness

Reaction score
Always! I love transcriptions of Tigran as well as transcribing his stuff myself. Inspiring many of his compositions really.

Do you have it in midi? or did it go straight on paper? :)

Looks like Finale or Sibelius. It's just a pain in the butt to upload files that aren't one of the handful approved as attachments on this site.

AugmentedFourth

X:1 K:C [c^f]|
Reaction score
Looks like Finale or Sibelius. It's just a pain in the butt to upload files that aren't one of the handful approved as attachments on this site.

Personally, I typically don't upload to the site, I just use mediafire.

Transcription looks great though. Thanks for the upload, man.

')