Tigran Hamasyan - Jazz +world music +meshuggah +fempop

• Thread starter wankerness
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Peculate

Reaction score
So happy to see this here. I love Tigran! He's one of my favorite composers/pianists, and a huge influence on my own music.
In my opinion Shadow Theater was one of the best albums of 2013!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

prh

Plini
Reaction score
shadow theater is amazing. its a bit hard to find but his "EP no1" is hands down one of the best concise releases ive ever heard, everything about it is just ....ing spectacular!

wankerness

Reaction score

Cool! I started working on transcribing "Road Song" in vastly simplified format but got frustrated after a while. The feel of that song is odd, I assumed the first section was 6/8 with the phrases going sixteenth-eighth-eighth-sixteenth and an accent on that first 8th, but it FEELS like the measures might actually be starting on the eighth. I'll have to actually tab out the drums to be sure I have it, I guess. I got up to that piano break about 2 minutes in and got annoyed. Someday I'll do more work on it.

There doesn't seem to be any service to upload anything simply anymore without creating an account :wallbash:

AugmentedFourth

X:1 K:C [c^f]|
Reaction score
Cool! I started working on transcribing "Road Song" in vastly simplified format but got frustrated after a while. The feel of that song is odd, I assumed the first section was 6/8 with the phrases going sixteenth-eighth-eighth-sixteenth and an accent on that first 8th, but it FEELS like the measures might actually be starting on the eighth. I'll have to actually tab out the drums to be sure I have it, I guess. I got up to that piano break about 2 minutes in and got annoyed. Someday I'll do more work on it.

There doesn't seem to be any service to upload anything simply anymore without creating an account :wallbash:

You can always throw any files you have in a .zip and upload it directly to ss.org and attach it to your post. :yesway:

wankerness

Reaction score
There we go, maybe. You can tell I just stopped trying at all on that piano break in M 51. I did figure out that much later riff just cause I wanted to play it on bass, though.

Attachments

• Road Song.ptb
    22.2 KB · Views: 33

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Finally managed to get my copy of Shadow theater. It's so refreshing to hear it on my ipod through my nice headphones while on the go instead of watching it live on my laptop in my room. I have to say that drip is probably my favorite track at the moment, but that will likely change, it's just so damn groovey (dat sax line), it sounds like it could easily be turned into a metal song though I can't think of anyone that could do it justice.

wankerness

Reaction score
My brother and I spent a few hours trying to transcribe "The Court Jester," we got a rough outline of some of the sections. That whole outro has some hilarious rhythmic stuff. Basically he does the Meshuggah thing where it's a repeating pattern that fits into 6/8, but if you wanted to notate the rhythm for maximum readability it would be 17/16 - 5/8 - 7/8 - 6/8 - 6/8 - 5/8 - 7/8 - 7/16!

lUohaaw.png

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
I started messing about transcribing drip earlier, but I hit the brick wall of boredom after an hour. Feel free to scoot about and have a look, I will probably continue at later, but these things are easier as collaborations.
tigran hamyasan - drip

wankerness

Reaction score
Not touching that one with a ten foot pole, that is definitely the song on that album that sounds the most difficult to transcribe. The rhythms are completely messed, especially on that long unison section. It's a lot less complex in terms of pitches and notes involved, but the rhythms...ugh.

wankerness

Reaction score
I arranged three of Tigran's tunes for a guitar ensemble (multiple guitars, piano, bass, drums). No tab, but there are MIDI files you could import into Guitar Pro.

Two of them are from Shadow Theatre and one is from Ari Hoenig's "Lines of Oppression."

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8s8g0lyhp4tz9r9/AADkoqMc9wtc92VowHubXE6ra

Awesome, that must have taken a shitload of time. I've been using Finale also, so uploading in that format is the best! You've definitely done wayyyyy more work on The Court Jester than I did, and I have barely used Finale at all so my score looked like garbage. I'm also horrendous at transcribing piano stuff. Something about the tone of the instrument makes it nearly impossible for me to pick out what notes are being played in chords. Thanks for uploading everything, too. I definitely am going to learn the bass parts for Erishta and Court Jester from these!

I do have one comment on Court Jester, though - in the second to last section (that rhythmic thing that repeats a whole bunch of times), I think the 3/8 bar is actually a 7/16. I was listening to it at insanely slow speeds to get all that down, plus if it's 7/16 instead of 3/8 then the whole phrase adds up to being 8 bars of 6/8, which I figure was how he developed that section since he's been vocal about his Meshuggah fandom.

Here's what I'd figured out, I pretty much only did the lowest note of the piano and the vocal line, but I think I had the rhythm and the vocal line 100%. I think I should have written it out as the time changes like you did, though, that kind of rhythm is way easier to think about in terms of the "compound meters." Sorry about the hideous formatting, I should probably get a dropbox account so I can just upload finale files.
asrcXDt.jpg

Poparad

Street Theorist
Reaction score
I'm also horrendous at transcribing piano stuff. Something about the tone of the instrument makes it nearly impossible for me to pick out what notes are being played in chords.

The different timbre does make it much harder when you're used to transcribing guitar. I've had the same difficulties, but I've been transcribing piano stuff for a while, so it's not too bad, but still not as quick as guitar.

I do have one comment on Court Jester, though - in the second to last section (that rhythmic thing that repeats a whole bunch of times), I think the 3/8 bar is actually a 7/16. I was listening to it at insanely slow speeds to get all that down, plus if it's 7/16 instead of 3/8 then the whole phrase adds up to being 8 bars of 6/8, which I figure was how he developed that section since he's been vocal about his Meshuggah fandom.

You know, you may be right about that. The fact that it didn't add up to an even number of 6/8 bars really irked me, and I suspected I was off somewhere. Initially I had it all as 6/8, but went with the meter changes for ease of reading, and because unlike Meshuggah, no one in the band is laying down a steady 6/8 meter against that, so it kind of makes it without much benefit to keep in notated like that.

')