Tigran Hamasyan - Jazz +world music +meshuggah +fempop

• Thread starter wankerness
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Have anyone of you heard luys i luso yet? and if so what are your "favorites"/recommendations? I notice that the album has quite a tracklist. I know that the release is different from his other works, but are there songs that feel like his previous compositions? :)

Yes, I think it's substantially better than Mockroot, though I'm probably in a tiny minority. I think his best albums are Shadow Theater, Luys I Luso and Red Hail in that order. Just listen to the whole album. There are a couple (Nor Tsaghik and Voghormea inds Astvats) that have more in common with the clonky stuff on his last couple albums, but most of it is much richer and more subtle. It's a bit less straightforward than "Holy" from Shadow Theater, but if you like that you will probably love this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AugmentedFourth

X:1 K:C [c^f]|
Reaction score
Agreed, Luys I Luso is a beautiful album. Personally I think the "jazzer" parts are done well. Probably the most jazz moment is @~6:20 in Ov Zarmanali 2, and I think it's done well even considering he goes fairly wild with the solo; it still fits.

EDIT: In case anyone missed it because it got stuck as the last post on the previous page: Tigran_Hamasyan_-_To_Negate.zip

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
New album drops tomorrow:

Also the Shadow Theater concert is up in 1080p here:

:D

brownsounds

Reaction score
Really enjoying the new album! Was hoping for some more aggressive tracks like on Mockroot but overall it's great. Speaking on which...can anyone recommend me any of his tracks that are "heavier". Haven't had a chance to go through his back catalogue yet.

wankerness

Reaction score
Listen to all of Red Hail and Shadow Theater immediately!!!

Mockroot is not BAD, but it seems so thin compared to those two albums. There are many songs that just simply have the same poundy "riffs" repeated over and over and over.

I need to listen to this new one!

PS: For anyone that reads music AT ALL, check out this! This is the most insane transcription job I've ever seen. Make sure you actually follow the link to youtube, the embedded version is way too small to read.

It's a full transcription of the crazy live version of "what the waves brought." (The original is on A Fable and is not nearly this long or complex.) I love the long sustained sections of septuplets. I don't get how the hell he can play this. The beat boxing is also ridiculous rhythmically with what else is going on, though I don't know if he was thinking so hard about the rhythms of it.

wankerness

Reaction score
PS - here's another great Tigran heavy/proggy song that I only somewhat recently discovered, it was on Ari Hoenig's album but has Tigran playing on it and was very obviously written by him.

This album is quite good, by the way. It has an extremely technical young group blowing through a lot of standards. It's very entertaining hearing flashy young speedsters like this playing that kind of music. This one might be the funniest, just listen to the dueling piano/guitar lines. They're not really exchanging bars, it's more just they're both soloing at all times while listening to each other. It turns into near-complete chaos right before the drum solo (~2:45)

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
Though I'm loving the new album so far, I can't help but be frustrated by some of the track lengths. We got 10 songs, but 4 of them are < 2.5 minutes in length. Granted, there have always been a few short songs on every Tigran album, but it bothered me less on his longer releases. This one is only like 45 minutes total. It has so many good ideas that end before being fully developed. :2c:

brownsounds

Reaction score
Listen to all of Red Hail and Shadow Theater immediately!!!

Mockroot is not BAD, but it seems so thin compared to those two albums. There are many songs that just simply have the same poundy "riffs" repeated over and over and over.

I need to listen to this new one!

PS: For anyone that reads music AT ALL, check out this! This is the most insane transcription job I've ever seen. Make sure you actually follow the link to youtube, the embedded version is way too small to read.

It's a full transcription of the crazy live version of "what the waves brought." (The original is on A Fable and is not nearly this long or complex.) I love the long sustained sections of septuplets. I don't get how the hell he can play this. The beat boxing is also ridiculous rhythmically with what else is going on, though I don't know if he was thinking so hard about the rhythms of it.

Thanks for the recommendations!

wankerness

Reaction score
Though I'm loving the new album so far, I can't help but be frustrated by some of the track lengths. We got 10 songs, but 4 of them are < 2.5 minutes in length. Granted, there have always been a few short songs on every Tigran album, but it bothered me less on his longer releases. This one is only like 45 minutes total. It has so many good ideas that end before being fully developed. :2c:

It's probably like A Fable, then. I have listened to that several times, but it mainly functions as background music, with a couple really great tracks. They're mostly all really short. The live versions of them tended to be far longer and go more places. For a great example, see the link above for What the Waves Brought compared to the studio version. I'm hoping his next album is in the vein of Red Hail/Shadow Theater. He seems to alternate intricately written & densely layered album with small thin album, and I guess it's now time for a big album again (Red Hail/A Fable/Shadow Theater/Mockroot/Luys i Luso/this).

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score

Here's a video of Tigran's performance and commentary at Visioninmusica 2017. It contains "Markos and Markos," "Lilac," and a bit on his inspiration for An Ancient Observer.

wankerness

Reaction score
It's just an EP of unused stuff from An Ancient Observer. Meh. We need another densely written one ASAP!!

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Yes give us dense. It can be folky, jazzy or proggy at this point I just need more!

wankerness

Reaction score
He has a new album coming out in August, and I just looked at the track listing and saw one song is featuring Tosin Abasi!!!

')