Time to ditch M-audio fast track pro and buy a new audio interface?

• Thread starter Goretex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Goretex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am used to my obsolete M-audio fast track pro, how big of a difference a new audio interface will make?

I'm planning to upgrade to: SSL2+

What I use my audio interface for:

Recording Vocals:
Condenser Mic > M-Audio > DAW

Recording Guitars:
Amp > Condenser Mic > M-Audio > DAW

But I'm venturing into the digital world of amp sims as well (due to loud noises), will the audio interface make a difference to receive a cleaner signal from the guitar plugged to a new audio interface? or it will be unnoticeable? (M-Audio fast track pro vs New Audio interface)

Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Why not get get a good modeller and skip the interface bit? You'll still be able to record vocals as well.

DC23

Reaction score
Why not get get a good modeller and skip the interface bit? You'll still be able to record vocals as well.

I'm in this very situation at the moment. I wonder if the 'USB interface' part of a modeller is inferior to a dedicated audio interface in anyway besides number of inputs, etc.? Especially with limited ports on my Mac having usb audio and usb editing via one cable would be much more convenient than I've been used to in the past. All I'm planning on doing is playing guitar anyways, but am just torn between picking up a USB audio interface and playing through plugins or spending more and getting something like an HX Stomp that has everything in a small package.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Check the i/o specs of each product.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
will the audio interface make a difference to receive a cleaner signal from the guitar plugged to a new audio interface? or it will be unnoticeable? (M-Audio fast track pro vs New Audio interface)

Thanks in advance!
Converters can make a big difference in track quality. I don’t have personal recording experience with the 2+, but I mixed a song for someone that tracked with it, and didn’t have any issues with the tracks. The SSL will do what you want. It’s lightweight and feels a bit cheap, but it has a ton of routing options and most importantly, sounds good.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
The degree to which the SSL would benefit you isn't really clear. The fast track certainly isn't a top tier interface now, and it wasn't when it came out either, but neither is the SSL. The difference the converters in the SSL 2+ make could be obvious or it could be so subtle you may not notice, ditto for the preamps. The question is more whether or not you've identified some shortcoming in your current setup that needs addressing; if the Fast Track Pro can produce clean DI guitar takes without clipping and the preamps have enough gain for your mics then all you've done is found a solution in search of a problem. If the fast track is falling short somewhere you need to start looking for gear based on what will solve that problem.

With amp sims I've found that basically anything works as long as the instrument signal isn't clipping on the way in. They're great but I never use them for final recordings, i always end up micing an amp (mainly because I like doing that), YMMV.

I don't see the point of buying a physical modeller since there are so many amp sims available (both free and paid) these days that you'd easily have as many serviceable options as a modeller at a potentially lower price point.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
I have a FastTrack Pro that I am planning to ditch eventually as well. I find the preamps to be very warm and mid-heavy.

Was planning on side/up-grading to the Audient ID14/22 myself. My understanding is that they're solid products with high quality converters + having a dedicated DI is a nice bonus. Maybe you could check those out?

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
The Fast Track is utter rubbish; the Low-Z sucks and the mic input is even worse. It was my interface for a few years, but it has always been a PITA to have some decent signal out of it.
My advice on the cheap: Behringer UMC whatever number of inputs you need. I bought an 1820 because I needed 8 inputs, but even the 404 or 204 are great. I tested many interfaces in the low/mid price point and Behringer is the best. Clean DI, excellent headphones out, they just work. Also, drivers are surprisingly good.

pipelineaudio

Reaction score
The Fast Track is utter rubbish; the Low-Z sucks and the mic input is even worse. It was my interface for a few years, but it has always been a PITA to have some decent signal out of it.
My advice on the cheap: Behringer UMC whatever number of inputs you need. I bought an 1820 because I needed 8 inputs, but even the 404 or 204 are great. I tested many interfaces in the low/mid price point and Behringer is the best. Clean DI, excellent headphones out, they just work. Also, drivers are surprisingly good.

This. REALLY IMPORTANT: Check Behringer's page to be sure the interface has a REAL ASIO driver. Not ASIO4All. The real behringer ASIO drivers are made by TheSycon.de. Same people who make the drivers for SSL, Audient and many others

decoy205

Reaction score
I have the SSL 2 not the plus and it’s excellent. The conversion is fantastic and my tracks are very open and clear.

It’s so worth the price. I mostly record direct guitars, but vocals should be no issue.

')