Time to get a whammy

• Thread starter ke7mix
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ke7mix

Reaction score
So I finally got a sizable paycheck enough to purchase a few pedals! One of which that i've been set on getting would be a Digitech Whammy. I love the application of this pedal, but i don't know where it should go in my signalchain.

So far my rig runs Guitar>Tuner>Comp>OD/EQ>Gate>Amp>Cab

Where do you put your whammy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pow404

Reaction score
95% of the time I put mine at the front of my chain, so in your case will be after the tuner and before the compressor. You can get some cool effects moving it around though.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I'd put it right before or right after your tuner, depending on whether or not you want the Whammy getting a buffered signal from a non-true bypass tuner.

Which version of the Whammy are you getting? I have the DT and it's the best of the best IMO. The left side is the same circuitry as the Whammy V, while the right side is a high-quality pitch shift. I can't recommend the DT enough, especially if you use several tunings. My old band had songs in both drop B and A#, so instead of bringing four guitars to a gig (main and backup in each tuning), I'd only bring my two mains and they'd act as a backup for the other since I could use the DT to pitch shift in either direction.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Before I got the DT, I used to put my old WH4 at the end of my front chain. Nowadays the DT is usually at the beginning usually becuse the pedal being so big. Then again I've also switched tuners from the buffered TU2 to a true bypass PT2, and all my ODs are now buffered types as well. I'm glad the newer whammys have fixed the tone sucking issue the WH4 had, even if it's not really all that major.

And yeah, both the DT and WHV are great units. Either one is great depending on your application. Though the momentary switch on the DT is fun as hell.

EDIT: I should add that the WHV also has a "classic/chord" switch, which allows you to replicate the glitchy nature of the original whammys, or remain cleanly polyphonic. It's certainly not for everyone though. The DT doesn't have that option, but at least it allows you to combine both the drop tune options AND the original whammy stuff simultaneously. I probably should by a Whammy V now... :lol:

')