Time you spend playing?

• Thread starter ricknasty1985
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
For about that last year, probably 10 hours total. Here recently I've been trying to play at least once a week, for maybe an hour or two. We changed our hours at work, so after working 10 or 11 hours the last thing on my mind is playing guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
I have a full time desk job, that sometimes requires overtime, i'm taking side jobs as well, and trying to keep up with my friends, family and other hobbies. Depending on all of those i can manage to play from 8 hours a week down to barely one hour a week. I just took an old guitar of mine to work, i'm keeping it there. Whenever i get some free time i go practice picking exercises unplugged so that i don't start forgetting stuff.

mdeeRocks

Reaction score
Work + commute takes about 11.5 hours for me every day. I play guitar every day for 1.5-2 hours. I still manage to have a hour or more to spend with my girlfriend and daughter.

It does require very strict schedule, up to a minute planning, but I've probably skipped less than 4-5 days during last 4 or 5 years. The bad effect is that I am really furious when someone gets in my way during the day and disrupts my plan even by 2-3 minutes because it does take away from my playing time.. I can get pretty nasty ;) It doesn't happen often though.

I play more on weekend, but it's mostly writing/jamming.

I am hoping to remove commute from my schedule at some point and put that time back into guitar/family.

geese_com

Reaction score
I probably get about 3-4 hours a week of guitar playing in if I don't have rehearsal.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I play like 4-5 hours a day.
I keep a guitar at work and...I'm the boss and my work slows down in the afternoon.
Plus I play when I get back home.
Now, the problem is "how many of this playtime is focused"
Best case scenario is 1 hour, and that's the time I spend at home.
During week ends when I can play at home, I practice till my fingers, wrists, forearms start to feel the tension, which can be even 20 minutes if I'm doing intensive exercises.
And my biggest problem is lack of stamina, so I feel I am not going anywhere :lol:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Shoot, more like finding minutes a day to play. I'm busy at work, and my kids are at the age now where I have to be helping with homework and carting around to sports practice, etc. For a while I kept a guitar at work, but the AC/heater isn't on afterhours, and I was worried it would just destroy it.

9Lives

GuitarHaggler
Reaction score
I have my own business and a couple of small side $$ deals and I'm pretty blessed because I love my free time. I also really enjoy setting up/ building and tinkering almost as much as playing. However I try to get atleast an hour+ of playing. I try to be careful of not getting stuck playing the same riffs over and over again (puts me strait into writers block )
I also have a wife, 1 9 year old boy and a baby boy on the way! They all know I'm getting my damn guitar time no matter what. Better turn that damn sponge bob down and leave me alone for a little while!! Lol

Even on my way to where I'm at now, with less free time it constantly changed. Since I was 11 to now 30 I've maintained no less than an hour a day of straight chugging. Keep up the good work, what ever works just don't stop playing!

SeventhSlinger

Reaction score
When I first started playing high school I was pushing around 6-8 hours a day haha, got a job, immediately dropped to 30 minutes to an hour a day if I was lucky. Now with college I'm slowly working back up but still have priorities, usually 3-4 hours a day, 5 sometimes.

My advice, if you can't play all day, or for as much as you'd like, use what time you have to fulfill priorities you have specifically, In other words, if you just care about getting good then spend all of the time you THINK you need practicing, although practicing scales for 5 hours does get a little boring. Just do what you wanna do, skipping practice for a day to have fun playing some songs or whatever won't kill you, plus its fun.

')