Tinny/ Quacky tone from BareKnuckles

• Thread starter IcarusLives
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IcarusLives

Reaction score
Hey guys, im having a huge problem with my tone. The guitar in question is a Neko Claymore 6. Basically the bridge sounds way to bright and tinny, and not in a good way. It currently has Black Hawks, and i had a set of aftermaths before. Im using patches on my axe standard that actually sounded on the thick side of things when i had a strat with a warpig in the bridge. Any help is appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CapnForsaggio

Cap'n (general)
Reaction score
Take a good picture, or rather many, of the wiring inside your guitar.

Have a multimeter at the ready.

We will be glad to help.

IcarusLives

Reaction score
I actually just rewired it, and tested the DC resistance both before and after being wired up. It comes out fine. The only thing that i am not to sure about is the quality of the switch. Its a 3 way blade switch on a PCB. I rewired the whole thing in between pickup sets, and no difference. Still the same problem.

CapnForsaggio

Cap'n (general)
Reaction score
Take a good picture, or rather many, of the wiring inside your guitar.

There is literally nothing anyone can do for you until you provide this.

Do you want me to just list out all of the possible ways you could have miswired your guitar?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
What's going on with the red and white wires there? Maybe try to solder those a little neater and wrap with at least 3 wraps of electrical tape. That'd be my first guess. It also looks like the ground wire might be nicked, but that shouldn't really be a problem unless there are extenuating circumstances.

elkoki

Reaction score
does the tone sound like that only when you're in the bridge position? or with all positions? the middle position? or what? the way you describe your tone, it sounds like your pickups are out of phase with each other. like quacky,thin,etc... but the only reason it would sound that way is if both pickups are on and if the pickups aren't in phase with each other.

CapnForsaggio

Cap'n (general)
Reaction score
Bostjan is on the money.

Your red/white pair should be connected, but insulated from everything else.

If they are making contact with the braided wire, or anything else connected to ground, you get "single coil" mode. Which sounds exactly as you described it.

IcarusLives

Reaction score
they are wrapped in three or four layers and soldered. The nick is just a slight burn on the sleeving. Its not out of phase, as its been the bridge only.

IcarusLives

Reaction score
and the bridge is bareknuckle, so
Red - North Start
Green - North Finish
White - South Finish
Black - South Start

So green and white are connected and taped off

elkoki

Reaction score
touch a scredriver to the pickup ? dead coil? lol I dont know

IcarusLives

Reaction score
Wait, im an idiot. that would be correct. White to red on bkp's. South finish to North Start correct?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Try to solder the wires so that the pickup is in series, first, then let us know if that worked or not. North finish to South start would be correct.

')