Tiny 25w Pedal Amp: Hughes & Kettner StompMan

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Have you guys heard of this little amp? I got mine last week and I've been digging it! It's basically a one channel 25w (at 8 ohms) solid-state amp. So it's essentially just the clean channel of the Spirit line (Amp Man, Black Spirit etc.). At first I didn't think it was for me but then I started to see some potential here.

To begin with, the clean tones are really sweet and dynamic. The sagging control (as with the other Spirit amps) let's you dial in the desired amount of emulated tube sag (compression and saturation). So you can get a lot of nice clean tones out of this actually. You can also dial up the gain to get some nice overdrive as well. So by default it's not a very gainy amp but as a clean/breakup amp it's just sweet. The tone, resonance and presence controls are very welcome too by the way.

However, what's really cool to me is that you can bypass the preamp section and leave the poweramp active, including the controls like the sagging, presence and resonance. This makes for a versatile but compact solid state power amp with some unique features! 25w might not be enough for everyone though but it would probably have to be bigger for it to have more power.

I made a little demo and review so you can see/hear this thing in action:

What do you think of the StompMan? Yay or nay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

')