Tiny Terror vs Axe Fx III, Amplitube and Cypress TT-15 (free plugin)

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Man, this one was fun! I finally got an Orange Tiny Terror to round of my Orange Lunchbox collection. The first thing I did with this amp is compare it to a couple of modeling platforms: The Axe Fx III, Amplitube 4's licensed model and the free Cypress TT-15 plugin by Black Rooster Audio. The results are once again interesting and perhaps surprising.

Notes: Normally I don't like to use advanced amp parameters, especially not in comparisons such as these but this time around I started experimenting with the 'resonance' control in the NadiR IR loader because Amplitube just sounded off. I think it's because unlike the Axe Fx for example, the Amplitube models don't emulate the amp-speaker impedance interaction causing the resonance curves. I thought it would be fair to use this function as now Amplitube sounds more 'like how it's supposed to'.
The Cypress TT-15 is quite cool for a free plugin but the controls did not react like the real amp at all. So to get the sound from the video try to match the settings very closely as well as again the resonance settings in NadiR.

So if you have one of these modeling platforms you can get it to sound pretty close to my Tiny Terror!
Anyway, let me know what you thought:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I just realised that embedding was turned off on the video. Not sure why! It should work now though...

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I'd like to add something about the Resonance settings since I have gotten some questions about it:

Normally I don't like to use advanced or external controls to tweak amp tones in such a comparison but upon tweaking Amplitube I again (as with previous experiences) noticed that the platform sounded super boxy overall. So I do thing the Amplitube amp models do not have impedance curves. It's probably baked into their cab modeling. So as I explained earlier, in my opinion if you're going to use Amplitube with external IR's I would recommend using this feature in NadiR (or the other IR loader, Libra?).
Most modelers have this thing sorted in the amp model itself which automatically gives much more pleasing overall eq curves. However, if you notice that an amp modeler just sounds way too middy or boxy functions like resonance settings can definitely help!

Guitarjon

Reaction score
The syprus nailed those high gains pretty well.
Nice tones
Im not one for caring much about the accuracy of modelling, as long as it comes in a ballpark range.

I totally get that perspective, it's such a personal thing after all!
What works for someone may absolutely not work for someone else.
That's why it's so great that we have all these options available to us.