Tipping Pizza Delivery Drivers...

• Thread starter ZeroTolerance94
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

iRaiseTheDead

Ashes Of Rebirth
Reaction score
Somewhere ZEBOV Is writhing in anger...........
(a old member that detailed some of the terrible things he did to pizza's when not tipped on the second delivery to an address)

3-5$ Is where I sit on the issue. For reals though, Throwing in a few extra bucks for the convenience wont kill your wallet and you will feel better probably. If it does break the bank to tip, you should really look into cheaper food options.

I miss that guy but what did he do? :eek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

troyguitar

Reaction score
How's this for a tip? Get a better job!

or blame the employers for your low wages, not the consumers.

I never order delivery because I don't want to tip for service whether or not it's extraordinary, therefore there are fewer delivery jobs in existence because of my actions. Would you rather have no tip or no job?

If tipping was built into the cost (delivery charge), then I would order delivery and if I got an extraordinary delivery I would actually offer a tip - but simply doing your job competently is not worthy of getting tips.

Tipping for average service is like awarding a participation trophy to all entrants in a race. You didn't win the damn race, you just showed up. You don't deserve a trophy.

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
Who cares?

I'm not the one delivering the pizza, I'm the one eating it.

Delivering a pizza is doing a job as expected. Tips are rewards for going beyond expectations.

Well, I'm sure the driver cares, seeing how their pay is halved while on the road (worse at some places).
Making the pizza is the establishment doing a job as expected, where as getting people to expend their own resources to deliver it to you, is going beyond.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
For those missing ZEBOV, I sent him a screenshot from this thread.

Response:
"Actually, I've taken most of the world's natural psychedelics since then, and they've helped me let go of a lot of anger. Also, it wasn't my second delivery. It was somewhere between the 5th and 10th deliveries.
Yes I'm banned. My permaban began with a temporary ban. I was temporarily banned just because I neg repped Max. This was one out of many times I was banned for NOT breaking the rules.

Anyway, If you can't afford to tip, go to Taco Bell where you can stuff yourself silly for $3."

Pat_tct

Reaction score
at some pizza places the driver has to take his own car to deliver the food.
and no they don't get the money back for the gas they used during the day.
but that is an exception.

my go-to pizza place is not too far away. my usual order is about 11-13 bucks and I round it up to 15 or 20.

if i wouldn't live that near my tip would be higher.

most of the drivers are students working a couple hours a day there and they only get 400€ a month for that.
this is the limit to not pay taxes on incomes. so it's an easy way to get some money while studying.

so tipping them doesn't ruin me, and makes their life easier. and most of them are actually really happy to see a tip above 1€. they also are super fast and super friendly no matter how shitty the weather is or anything.

monkeybike

loves Dying Light
Reaction score
I deliver goddamn pianos and maybe get tipped once in 20 deliveries. Most of the time its the people that look like they could barely afford it that tip. No lie, I delivered a grand piano to a $1.5 million house (owner made sure to tell me) and they tipped me a half empty tin of pistachios. So I generally tip service workers well.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
I deliver goddamn pianos and maybe get tipped once in 20 deliveries. Most of the time its the people that look like they could barely afford it that tip. No lie, I delivered a grand piano to a $1.5 million house (owner made sure to tell me) and they tipped me a half empty tin of pistachios. So I generally tip service works well.

Yeah well, I've worked in a Pizza place for over 2 years (mostly as a cook, but I've done my share of deliveries). Delivery guys had to use their own car, would barely receive anything for gaz so the tip would basically help to pay to fix their car, especially since (as stated above) their salary is considered "salary with tip". Beside the pay cut, they also have to pay a tax on the EXPECTED tip they'll receive. No tip? Still pay the tax (don't remember the exact amount as I never was considered a delivery guy). Complain about it? You're out and there's come another guy in need of a job.

I've also worked at an Home Hardware, where I've worked as a delivery guy for a year or so. At that job, I didn't had any tax on tip, company would provide the trucks and I didn't had to pay for the gaz. I was at minimal wage, hauling stuff to build houses (wich sometime were very heavy or numerous). I still have back issue from that job because I would work my ass out everytime. Sure a tip would had been nice, but since I had barely nothing to pay to work it was more payful than a pizza delivery job.

I guess you have to have worked in the public area to really understand it. Oh and yeah, treat the guy who makes what you eat nicely, they won't necesseraly ruins your food the next time you'll order, but you might not get a pizza as good looking as the guy who usually tip well :wavey:

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
I spend ~20, and tip 5, unless the place is farther away. When I was younger, I tipped insanely high. ($20 tips were not uncommon.) Most places I order from are really close by. If I order delivery, it's because I'm busy doing house work. I only refused to tip once, and that was on a slow 2am night with nice weather and the guy took 3 hours to deliver the wrong, (not his fault) cold food.

There have been a couple times where my wife thought I tipped online but I hadn't and thus we didn't tip. In those cases, we called the pizza place and credited a tip after the fact. It's a broken system though. Tipping SHOULD be a reward for giving good service. Instead it's sort of forced, which defeats the whole purpose of it. You shouldn't feel obligated to pay someone extra for sub par service. Especially if all they give is mediocrity and then spit in it if you can't accept mediocrity at 20% higher prices.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
15-20% rounded up seems normal, usually what I do unless I'm picking it up myself. I do agree that the whole idea of tipping being the norm is dumb as hell and they should he paid more so we aren't obligated to tip. If I'm out at a restaurant/bar then I tip 10%, unless they do a great job then they get 15-20%. I also have no problem not tipping if I got shitty service, or not tipping a bartender for just opening a beer bottle.

But back to pizza: some places in my city add a delivery charge, so not sure if that covers gas and stuff but I think that's a good idea. I still tip the driver but I can understand a laziness charge.

As for Zebov I just remember him flying off the handle several times and going off on rants, bitching about rep, attacking other members (that food thread he started where he talked about f**king with peoples' orders when he delivered then comes to mind). So yeah, he broke rules I'm pretty sure.

musicaldeath

Herald of Djod
Reaction score
If I actually get it delivered (which is rare as the pizza place we go to is literally two blocks away and the delivery charge to get it from there to us is ~$7) I will usually tip 20%. If it shows up before the estimated time, 25%. It's bullshit that the drivers don't get their gas and mileage at least subsidized.

One thing I won't do though is tip at places like Subway. Every one I go into now asks for a tip (when paying by machine) and I hit no. Tipping for fast food seems ridiculous. A&W I almost laughed out loud at it as 9/10 times that burger you just ordered sat there ready made for the last 5 minutes.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I hang at my friends house 3-5 days a week.

We order pizza pretty much every time I'm there which usually equals out to $20-40.

We order from 3 places religiously...lets just say you bet your ass we tip them. Its the same people delivering every time....and they are handling are food.

Usually we tip $5-10...but it really depends on how much money we spent.

loqtrall

Banned
Reaction score
I always tip, no matter what. My best friend was a delivery driver and it was sad hearing the shit he went through. He was assigned mosty deliveries to the local country club and NEVER got tipped for any delivery there. One guy had him sit in the kitchen for almost 10 minutes while he found his wallet and STILL didn't tip him. He eventually had to quit because after paying only a few measly bills, he barely had enough gas to make it to work. I gave him money quite a few times so he could get to work. After personally knowing what they go through, not tipping a driver is shitty. They didn't come from some pizza place you can't dine-in at. They spend their own money and use their own car to bring your lazy ass some food while it's still hot because you can't put forth the effort to pick it up yourself. They're literally DELIVERING food to your house using their own resources, like a ....ing servant, and get paid less than minimum wage because of tips that aren't even guaranteed!

As for Zebov, I don't think what he said is true, because I neg rep'd Max and nothing happened to me (you can still see the neg on his profile). Either he broke some rules or he abused the rep system on Max.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
ZEBOV had finally actually crossed a couple thresholds by the time he got perma'd IIRC. I recall him flipping on a couple different people before.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Yes, because life is always just that simple. :rolleyes:

It's not always more complicated than that though. I get that I don't live in the US, so the situation is different, but lots of people I hear complaining about their jobs (or lack of) are just not trying (not all, but lots). If you don't like your job, then it's your own responsibility to seek something better. Sometimes it is that simple- it's not "easy" per-se, but simple.

Back on topic: The area I live in doesn't reduce the minimum for those who get tips by very much (min is $10.35 CAD, and with tips, it's reduced by a little more than a dollar), and I think places like fast food etc. are forced to pay minimum even if they do get tips. It's not like some stories I've heard of from the US where people making tips might only get something like $2/hr- I know that most here are compensated for the most part by their actual wages, and for that reason I'll tip entirely based on whether or not I feel like I got decent service. If it's not delivery, a lot of times I won't tip at all unless I think they did a great job worth acknowledging. Fast food I don't tip at all. Same thing with delivery that has a built-in delivery charge.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
For the people that I've known working delivery, it really was all they could snag. It's still a pretty shit situation for lower skilled or down on their luck would-be workers.

loqtrall

Banned
Reaction score
The area I live in doesn't reduce the minimum for those who get tips by very much (min is $10.35 CAD, and with tips, it's reduced by a little more than a dollar), and I think places like fast food etc. are forced to pay minimum even if they do get tips. It's not like some stories I've heard of from the US where people making tips might only get something like $2/hr- I know that most here are compensated for the most part by their actual wages, and for that reason I'll tip entirely based on whether or not I feel like I got decent service.

My friend got paid $4.50/hour+tips, no compensation. With his hours and frequency of tips, he averaged well under liveable monthly wages, especially since he used his car to drive back and forth making deliveries and gas prices were at an all-time high in the US. He basically had the job of a high schooler who has no bills to worry about.

But switching jobs isn't as easy as you'd think. Where I lived, there were no jobs. My sister and I tried literally every business in our small city, nobody was hiring, and those who were just hired to meet quota then had massive lay-offs. Eventually I had to basically beg my friend to get me a job at his pawn shop. I swept floors and cleaned shelves for $35 a day. Couldn't pay bills with that so my whole family up and moved North. Sometimes it's not as easy as "taking responsibility to find something better". Sometimes the shitty delivery job is all you get.

')