Tips for recording guitar...

• Thread starter Seedawakener
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, here comes the noobthread of the decade.

I just got a PODxt and Im trying to record with it. What I need is a couple of tips on how to do it right and good. Cause right now it sounds really muddy and not good at all. The distortion works great for pure riffage but for recording = :ugh:.

I know a lot of you guys have experience with this gadget. So please help me out. Do you have any good tones (that dont require the metalpack for now) or any tips on how to make it sound good when recording. Things to think of while recording and such.

THX in advance.

Im really eager to start recording and I need your help people! plz.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Newkie

Jag har en plan.
Reaction score
I don't know specifically about the PODxt but you could try lowering the bass and play with the EQ, in general, a bit. Also if you're using a lot of gain, lower it.
Too much gain can make the sound very bad.
Try getting a nice crunch tone and record some rhythm and then double it.
That's how I usually do.

One crunchy guitar to the left, one crunchy guitar to the right and bass in the middle and you're set :yesway:

Lycka till!

Skeksis

Closed Eye Visuals
Reaction score
Also, try using a de-esser to get rid of that high-end fizz.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
It takes a lot of tweaking to get the Pod to sound good, but once you get it, it's totally worth it.

Are you recording through the USB or line-out? The former is definitely better in regards to quality, plus you get less latency issues (unless of course you have a beastly computer).

Also, I recommend using other people's patches at least as a starting point. There's a lot of crap on customtone.com, although there's some nice stuff in the SS.ORG patch library. I've uploaded my lead tone, which I'm quite fond of. Also, Bulb's rhythm tone is really awesome for recording, and I highly recommend it :yesway:

But as the others said, less gain than you think, cut the bass, and double-track all your guitar parts and it should sound great :agreed:

EDIT: @ Skeksis - What's the 'de-esser'? :confused:

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Also, make sure that the POD is set to "Studio" . Play around with the different cabs and mic placements. Moving the mic can have a big impact on the tone and may help clean it up a little bit.

Latest posts

')