Tips on getting familiar with a 8

• Thread starter MGasparotto
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MGasparotto

Breaker of G strings
Reaction score
Anybody got any tips on things I can do to get more familiar with my 8 string. Finally got one =D It's a Agile intrepid 828, seen a lot of people saying the 28 inch scale is a bit too much. I don't have a problem with it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Just play it until your sixer feels like a guitar hero controller!

that's funny! yeah, it's crazy when i used to play nothing but my schecter a7 (a 7 mind you) my 6 strings would feel and look literally like toys.

i can't even imagine the difference between an 8 and a 6.

celticelk

Reaction score
In moving from a 6 to an 8, I've found string-skipping exercises to be particularly helpful in getting used to the wider fretboard. Some 7- and 8-string sweeping exercises might help as well. Just remember to take it slow to begin with; the speed will come naturally with time.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Displace a few notes of things which you know into the range of the extra strings and try playing the tunes like that. Also, play things which are usually low on the 6th string higher up the 7th and 8 strings.

MGasparotto

Breaker of G strings
Reaction score
In moving from a 6 to an 8, I've found string-skipping exercises to be particularly helpful in getting used to the wider fretboard. Some 7- and 8-string sweeping exercises might help as well. Just remember to take it slow to begin with; the speed will come naturally with time.

String skipping exercises?

celticelk

Reaction score
String skipping exercises?

A couple that I like:

-Play across the fretboard in position, skipping a string with each fretting finger, and then reversing the slant to come down. In position 1, for example, play 1st finger-1st fret-8th string, 2nd finger-2nd fret-6th string, 3rd finger-3rd fret-4th string, 4th finger-4th fret-2nd string, and then 1st finger-1st fret-1st string, 2nd finger-2nd fret-3rd string, 3rd finger-3rd fret-5th string, 4th finger-4th fret-7th string. Use alternate picking. Repeat. Reverse, so that you start with 4th finger-4th fret-8th string and run the pattern from there. Move up the fretboard in 4-fret intervals.

-Finger an ascending chromatic run with all 4 fingers on the 8th string, then the 6th, then the 7th, then the 5th, etc. At the 1st string, reverse direction so that the run is now descending, starting with the 4th finger, and play back down. Reverse, so that the descending run starts on the 8th string, then the 6th, etc., and the ascending run comes back toward the bass side of the fretboard. Experiment with other combinations besides a straight chromatic: 1-3-2-4 and 1-4-2-3 are favorites of mine. If you're feeling saucy, try changing the finger pattern every time you change strings: 1-2-3-4 on 8th string, 1-3-2-4 on 6th string, 1-4-2-3 on 7th string, etc. Move this exercise around the fretboard.

MGasparotto

Breaker of G strings
Reaction score
A couple that I like:

-Play across the fretboard in position, skipping a string with each fretting finger, and then reversing the slant to come down. In position 1, for example, play 1st finger-1st fret-8th string, 2nd finger-2nd fret-6th string, 3rd finger-3rd fret-4th string, 4th finger-4th fret-2nd string, and then 1st finger-1st fret-1st string, 2nd finger-2nd fret-3rd string, 3rd finger-3rd fret-5th string, 4th finger-4th fret-7th string. Use alternate picking. Repeat. Reverse, so that you start with 4th finger-4th fret-8th string and run the pattern from there. Move up the fretboard in 4-fret intervals.

-Finger an ascending chromatic run with all 4 fingers on the 8th string, then the 6th, then the 7th, then the 5th, etc. At the 1st string, reverse direction so that the run is now descending, starting with the 4th finger, and play back down. Reverse, so that the descending run starts on the 8th string, then the 6th, etc., and the ascending run comes back toward the bass side of the fretboard. Experiment with other combinations besides a straight chromatic: 1-3-2-4 and 1-4-2-3 are favorites of mine. If you're feeling saucy, try changing the finger pattern every time you change strings: 1-2-3-4 on 8th string, 1-3-2-4 on 6th string, 1-4-2-3 on 7th string, etc. Move this exercise around the fretboard.

I'll start practicing these to help get familiar. Thanks :yesway:

')