Tips to level Wood - Plz help

• Thread starter cesar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cesar

Reaction score
I am having a lot of trouble to get the body wings perfectly straight to glue it.

I am building a neck through model and the neck pieces i managed to get perfectly glued, no space between the strips of wood but the god damn body wings i can't get straight enough ,it always has light passing when i compare the pieces.

I am using a stanley number 4 wood leveller, the neck area where i will glue the wing seems leveled enough, when i pass the planer it takes no wood off anymore.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
A number 4 plane is a little small for joining, but it will probably work. Just because it doesn't take any wood off doesn't mean it is perfectly flat. The blade depth is adjustable after all.

Here's what you do:
Get a long straight edge. A level or metal ruler is ideal.
Hold it against each edge your going to glue and see if you can see light through anywhere.
Take your plane to the high spots and try to get it leveled out.
It'll take some trial and error but the plane will help you.

cesar

Reaction score
A number 4 plane is a little small for joining, but it will probably work. Just because it doesn't take any wood off doesn't mean it is perfectly flat. The blade depth is adjustable after all.

Here's what you do:
Get a long straight edge. A level or metal ruler is ideal.
Hold it against each edge your going to glue and see if you can see light through anywhere.
Take your plane to the high spots and try to get it leveled out.
It'll take some trial and error but the plane will help you.

seems the issue is my lack of skill then.

I brought a number 4 since the body wing is only 50 cm long and the planer is 24 ,5 cm seemed a good idea when i first thought about it

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
seems the issue is my lack of skill then.

I brought a number 4 since the body wing is only 50 cm long and the planer is 24 ,5 cm seemed a good idea when i first thought about it

It'll work. And a 4 is a great plane. Just need to finesse it a bit and double check with a straight edge.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
The solution to almost all problems is a Number 6 or 7 plane. Just kidding, a straight edge and getting a better feel for using the plane should do the trick...

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
I do the same thing with the planer just to get the piece really straight, but then use a long flat piece of marble with sand paper stuck to it with some spray adhesive to sand the joint perfectly flat. I've found that I can get a light-tight joint this way. Just use the same marble that's used for counter tops or window sills.

cesar

Reaction score
I got tired and stopped working for the weekend.

Will resume messing with the wood friday.

Luckly enough the 5 pieces of the neck glued light tight, can'nt imagine the headache to level 4 contact points more.

Funny enough, i took what seemd a lot of wood and when i was measuring it only was shorter on 1 mm

')