Tired of RP500. What do?

• Thread starter DrunkyMunky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkyMunky

Korn plzkthkxbai
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Don't get me wrong, this is a really nice sounding unit.

I don't have a real amp so I use the RP amp models, mainly the Dual/Triple Rectifier. The problem is, there is no way to switch amp channels and there is only one slot for "Chorus/FX". I have to duplicate a lot of presets and still not get very far. For some songs, I would need like 2/3 presets - it sucks.

For recording it is enough I guess. For playing along or live not as good. I love to play along Korn live stuff, and Munky's pedal board is huge so it gets really messy with the RP500...

I decided to try Guitar Rig 4 with an FCB 1010 MIDI pedal and I can have anything I want, how I want it in the chain, but I can't seem to get a decent tone from the high gain models (Gratifier).

I'm currently thinking about Pod Farm, installed the trial and realy liked it and it's cheap.

I thought about Pod HD500 but since I don't play with a band, maybe it's overkill.

Anyhow, I'm a little lost so any advice is welcome.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ckackley

Reaction score
I use my RP500 for recording and playing live with my band. I augmented it with a Digitech Chorus pedal, a Tech 21 Boost/delay and a Weeping demon wah. I also added a Rocktron noise gate, but that was because I wanted to run my guitar into a gate then also use the gate in the RP500. The chorus pedal takes care of the one modulation thing for me as most of my tones use a chorus to beef things up. I leave it on all the time and then use whatever other modulation I might need. I hit the Tech21 pedal or the Weeping Demon for leads. Works really well for me, and I was able to buy the pieces as I had the money.
Also, the patch switching on the RP500 is REALLY fast. You could set up your patches in banks by song. Then you'd have everything you need in quick reach. I'm seriously thinking of heading this route in the future just to make it easier to set things up live.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i have a rp350 and it has A/B? you sure your not just missing it? i barely use mine cuz i cant find a distorted tone i like. they always "break up " when ringing. what are you mainly using?

DrunkyMunky

Korn plzkthkxbai
Reaction score
I use my RP500 for recording and playing live with my band. I augmented it with a Digitech Chorus pedal, a Tech 21 Boost/delay and a Weeping demon wah. I also added a Rocktron noise gate, but that was because I wanted to run my guitar into a gate then also use the gate in the RP500. The chorus pedal takes care of the one modulation thing for me as most of my tones use a chorus to beef things up. I leave it on all the time and then use whatever other modulation I might need. I hit the Tech21 pedal or the Weeping Demon for leads. Works really well for me, and I was able to buy the pieces as I had the money.
Also, the patch switching on the RP500 is REALLY fast. You could set up your patches in banks by song. Then you'd have everything you need in quick reach. I'm seriously thinking of heading this route in the future just to make it easier to set things up live.

Yeah I thought about doing something like that, get a chorus and eq and probably a Pi just to make things a little more interesting but it would get expensive very fast and wouldn't solve the clean/lead amp thingy.

As for patch switching yeah it's really fast but having to duplicate the amp settings in all presets sucks since I change them a lot :wallbash: I am still searching for the right tone.

jymellis, it's odd but no A/B for the RP500. I don't know what kind of models/effects the 350 has but I use the Dual Rec with a Screamer in front of it and eq a little to get rid of some of the low end for the distorted main sound. For cleans its basicaly the same with lower gain. And then I have to program a lot of patches just because Digitech decided to give us only one slot for Chorus or any other effects.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i could NOT use the dual rec at all :( mine sounded like i was playing kazzoo with a zip lock bag :( no matter the eq or "pedals" i put in front of it. i think the best result i got was from the digi metal with a overdrive pedal.

DrunkyMunky

Korn plzkthkxbai
Reaction score
i could NOT use the dual rec at all :( mine sounded like i was playing kazzoo with a zip lock bag :( no matter the eq or "pedals" i put in front of it. i think the best result i got was from the digi metal with a overdrive pedal.

I read about the digi metal and messed around a bit with that but went back for the Recs... I was trying some djent :rolleyes:. RP500 can't djent.
Anyway I find the Recs usable but you need to roll back the gain.

troyguitar

Reaction score
There's always the RP1000 or the GSP1101 and the controller of your choice if you just want more options for changing sounds on the fly.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
apparently when it comes to amp sim software peaveys revalver is the best not tried it myself but i have heard good results recorded.

i myself have been playing with the lepou free amp sims they are vsts so you will need a daw or some other type of host to run but i really like them.

but if you are committed to guitar rig 4 you may find better results using speaker impulses rather than the speaker sim there is a very good guide stickied on the recording forums.

also a set of impulses called gods cabs has been posted for download
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/recording-studio/153201-free-mesa-os-impulses-gods-cab-ir-pack.html

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
I really think you should go with a POD HD300/400/500

Or one of Vox's Tonelabs

fwd0120

Bipedal Hominid
Reaction score
sorry for the necro, but the markIV model is very nice, and can djent. the rec models suck. also trying different cab models with each amp can really fine-tune things.

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
I'm a big digi fan and I have to say is you have to really boost one of the lower gain amps for any kind of good sounding metal tones.
overall I'd roll with an HD500 or a PODXT live pro
they're all super awesome but those 2 are easy on the wallet opposed to rack mount gear and axe fx lol.

Geetarism

Reaction score
I love the rp500. I just got it after selling my Floor POD i had for years. I use it for practice with earphones, recording to my MAc and live playing. I find that the amp modeling in much more "analog" sounding then the digital sound of Line 6 in my opinion. I also found that using the effects loop on my amp made a BIG difference in the sound I got (for the better). BUT, it really comes down to your ear and what you like. If you ever want to record though, having the USB built into your unit is a must have (like the RP500). Good Luck

')